Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this guitar original?

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Wolfetone;383944" said:
    I am happy that a '77 Tele would be worth £1200 or even more. I would say that's a good price to pay for a genuine guitar. The main gripe I have is that the buyers description certainly doesn't match the reality. Whether the seller was aware of the 'originality' issues, I can't tell.

It appears that the guitar body could be genuine but doesn't match the neck if what I have read is true. It has almost certainly been repainted and very badly. The '£495' sticker on the reverse of the pick guard is baffling. It does match the neck though. I am uncertain of the originality of the case but it is the same as many other cases that I have seen with Fenders of similar years.

The electrics have been replaced and will require attention. I am unhappy with the state of the fretboard as whoever did the refret, firstly, didn't remove the old frets properly (from the side) and then failed to make good the damaged lacquer. It's a mess.

Any other qualified views are very welcome before I decide how to approach the seller.
    I think the fact the seller didn't mention a refret let alone a poorly executed/damaging one is sufficient grounds to return it.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:
    One final thing I spotted was that the bridge plate doesn't quite cover the pickup cavity and you can see the cavity protruding from under it!!
    That's actually normal. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    Get your money back.

The seller is having a laugh with this one.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Id be very polite outling the issues then asking for the refund asap.
  • Wolfetone said:
    The neck plate is also strangely thin as you can see the 'F' impression on the other side. 
    So is that.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Send him a link to this thread
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    I'd love to see his evidence of paying over £1700 for it too
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Given that the other "bidder" has mostly bid on this seller's items I'm guessing it's a shill to push up the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I'd love to see his evidence of paying over £1700 for it too
    £700 would be closer to the truth and even that would be pushing it.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Given that the other "bidder" has mostly bid on this seller's items I'm guessing it's a shill to push up the price.
    In that case it needs reporting to Ebay as such too, they take a dim view of it and it will greatly help in any claim against the seller.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited January 2015
    ICBM said:
    My friends has a 70s Tele (72 I think) it has a 3 bolt micro tilt neck plate 
    Did that stop in the mid 70s then?
    No, only the Custom and Deluxe got the neck tilt - standard Teles remained with the four-bolt.

The thin F plate is correct - Fender reduced the amount of metal in them, then when they dished and indented the finish at the corners, they added the plastic gasket to stop it!

The tuners have definitely been replaced with a larger type with a front compression nut/collar at some point and then re-replaced - if you take one of them off you'll see the bore has been opened out to a larger diameter… if done really well, only from the back to a depth of about 2/3 the way through.

As the others have already said, far too much about this guitar is non-original for it to be worth anything like the price, and easily enough to make a 'significantly not as described' claim worth pursuing, if it was sold as original.

Refinished
    Badly refretted
    Tuners replaced & headstock almost certainly bored out
    Badly replaced electrics
    Wrong case (if claimed to be original)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    That doesn't look too good.  Probably are replacement tuners then.  The originals would have picked up a bit more grime and signs of use than those even if they weren't rusty.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Sorry.
  • What you gonna do then sir? Did you like the way it plays and sounds? Is there any reason you went for a 77?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Wolfetone said:
    ICBM said:
    Tuners replaced & headstock almost certainly bored out
    Corrected.

Probably had Schaller M6 Minis on from the position of the extra screw holes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited January 2015
    What you gonna do then sir? Did you like the way it plays and sounds? Is there any reason you went for a 77?
    I have sent a politely worded refund request to him. It sounds OK but the splintery lacquer is a bit off putting to be honest. I like what the 77 Tele's represented at the time. They were a 'punk' guitar.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10490
    tFB Trader
    My black 75 Tele's bridge didn't cover the rout either. If it plays well and you are happy with it, fine. If either of those statements is not the case ... send it back :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Get a '66 like Strummers.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24810
    ICBM;383947" said:
    No, only the Custom and Deluxe got the neck tilt - standard Teles remained with the four-bolt.
    And the two humbucker 'Type II' Thinline got '3 bolt' treatment as well. This was what I meant about the basic Tele getting away with CBS's worst improvements - though the Microtilt neck was a Leo Fender design - so the chances are they would have been introduced, even if he'd kept control of the company.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Previously known as stevebrum