good guitar building course?

What's Hot
I know we've discussed them before, but I can seem to locate a thread, and also if I post my own thread it's easier to find in the future.. Looking for a good guitar building course, what's out there?

I fancy making an LP type guitar if I can get the money together.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27574
    Bailey Guitars are currently broadcasting their course.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    I`m currently putting together plans for something just like you describe.   
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    DamianP said:
    I`m currently putting together plans for something just like you describe.   
    Where are you based? I think the Bailey one is pretty far North of the border, so not ideal for many people.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    BigMonka said:
     I think the Bailey one is pretty far North of the border, so not ideal for many people.
    It is - Ayr.  Real pita to get to, but worth the journey (7 hr drive for me, but I've still done it 3 times).

This was my last build there;

Neil Morgan had a go at running a course too - a handful of people here did it - but he found it pretty challenging.  Be great if you do give it a go, but be aware of the potential pitfalls ...
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IIRC Carol, Mark Bailey's partner, used to design training courses for a living and that's how they came to set up the BYOC.

Having done a couple of Bailey builds myself, I can see how running one could be very stressful.  Unless you're either running it on a one-to-one basis or getting everyone to build exactly the same thing, you're going to have to keep track of who's at what stage of their particular build, and just what they'll need to be doing next, and making sure you've either got enough of each tool to stop people hanging around unable to do the next job or that they can all be doing different things at once so there's no real clash for tool/tutor access.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I often think I'd like to do one of those courses.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    @TTony lovely guitar you made there! Looks superb! What's the story on the switching? Looks like a 5 way with the two mini toggles? Ahh, just looked again and seen the midi strip. Nice!

My second Bailey Course guitar. Ignore the black pickup surrounds and switch tip - these were temporary, as the cream ones, that I'd ordered, took months to arrive. I'm now in the middle of an Acoustic build.

It's interesting how the colour changes depending on the lighting.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    @ArchtopDave : Wow, another stunning guitar! I really want to do that course.

I assume that was on the custom course? Couldn’t see a price on that one? Do you remember how much it was when you did it?
  • That wasn't the first guitar Dave made - this one shows why he chose his username:

The ultimate bulid your own guitar

The sides are flamed but the back is quilted
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.

axisus said:

I assume that was on the custom course? Couldn’t see a price on that one? Do you remember how much it was when you did it?
    I'd just add that, having had the pleasure and honour of actually holding @ArchTopDave 's LP, it is quality beyond words.  I'd call him a "perfectionist", but his standards are probably higher than that.

The custom guitar course doesn't have a fixed price - it's entirely dependent on what you want to build, components, finish etc.

IIRC, my LP-alike came in around £2k.  You'd need to add the cost of b&b for your stay (not expensive).

But, mastercard takes care of all that, the actual experience is priceless ...
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    That wasn't the first guitar Dave made - this one shows why he chose his username:

The ultimate bulid your own guitar

The sides are flamed but the back is quilted
    That is so gorgeous! I even had to quote it so we could have the pictures again!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • axisus said:

You're right - it was a Custom Course. In fact I needed an extra half day at the end of the week to get the wood work finished. The reality of the cost of the Course is that, although there is a basic price, your actual expenditure goes up depending on (a) what you want to do ( I obviously put in Headstock and Fretboard Inlays plus Coach Lining round the Fretboard and Headstock which takes extra time), and (b) your Hardware Costs which can be very variable. As TTony mentioned, you have also got to make allowance for B"B,  and evening meal and drinks cost.