Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A detailed look at a Chibson

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12349

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My bass player works for This lot
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm surprised he thought it was solid wood and didn't check for seams on the sides (veneered back), or a scarf joint or multi-piece heel. And no mention of my favourite giveaway - slotted bridge post adjustment.
  • Interesting to watch. Think I'll pass on the one that's up for sale at the car boot.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    thermionic;423954" said:
    I'm surprised he thought it was solid wood and didn't check for seams on the sides (veneered back), or a scarf joint or multi-piece heel. And no mention of my favourite giveaway - slotted bridge post adjustment.
    Exactly what I thought, the bridge was a far more obvious give away than screws on the back plates or fake tuners

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That was good viewing -  he is like a posher Bill Bailey though ;-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    underdog said:
    thermionic;423954" said:
    I'm surprised he thought it was solid wood and didn't check for seams on the sides (veneered back), or a scarf joint or multi-piece heel. And no mention of my favourite giveaway - slotted bridge post adjustment.
    Exactly what I thought, the bridge was a far more obvious give away than screws on the back plates or fake tuners

They don't have one on some of the models, the ones with the nibbed frets, they have upped their game.  Maybe different factory.

But pretty sure the bodies are still veneered front and back and multi piece.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Sambostar;424221" said:
    underdog said:

thermionic;423954" said:I'm surprised he thought it was solid wood and didn't check for seams on the sides (veneered back), or a scarf joint or multi-piece heel. And no mention of my favourite giveaway - slotted bridge post adjustment.

They don't have one on some of the models, the ones with the nibbed frets, they have upped their game.  Maybe different factory.But pretty sure the bodies are still veneered front and back and multi piece.
    The one linked had nibs but still the obvious tell of slotted posts.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    He seems uninformed about what parts real Gibsons have.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • when you say slotted bridge slots - do you mean that genuine ones dont have screw tops just wheels for adjustement
    edited November 2014
    @sinshinewelly correct, the tune o matic (or whatever it is) posts on a Gibson only have wheels, the stop bar does have slots on Gibson's and copies though.
  • Paul_C said:
    I read this and it makes me think Land Rover are surprised that the Chinese are copying things...

With the X7 making its debut at the Guangzhou Motor Show, Land Rover Chief Executive Officer Dr. Ralf Speth opted to take a strong stance, issuing a resolute statement against LandWind's new SUV to Autocar:

"The fact that this kind of copying is ongoing in China is very disappointing. The simple principal is that it is not something that should happen; the intellectual property is owned by Jaguar Land Rover and if you break that IP then you are in breach of international regulations that apply around the world.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    Disappointed that Landover CEO doesn't know the difference between principle and principal.

Him or the stupid journalist...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    If the frets were levelled, a new nut fitted and the guitar well setup, would you end up with a half decent instrument? Pickups and pots could be upgraded later if the guitar was worth upgrading. Anyone any thoughts on this course of action? It would still be a fake but if it could be made playable....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker;425222" said:
    If the frets were levelled, a new nut fitted and the guitar well setup, would you end up with a half decent instrument? Pickups and pots could be upgraded later if the guitar was worth upgrading. Anyone any thoughts on this course of action? It would still be a fake but if it could be made playable....
    Most things can be made playable, and sold as a copy I really have little issue but most end up on eBay being listed as a Gibson with a price to match

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014

I think the question is the wood, despite the review, it ain't a maple cap on Honduras mahogany.  But to many around here wood is on no consequence, so as long as the truss rod works and it can be fret levelled, don't see why not.

By the time you have replaced everything, you are getting towards used Gibson money anyway.

Fretboards on the other hand, I don't think any factory in China or the government and customs have signed up to not using endangered species.  So you could probably get a nice chunk of something exotic and yesteryear.

All said and done, considering the work involved, I would rather make my own from a Honduras Mahogany and maple cap kit....or actually just buy a used one.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'm on the fence. On the surface it's a nice looking guitar but personally I don't like the fact it had the Gibson logo and other obviously forged stuff whereas if it was a re branded lp alike I'd have no issues at all. I play a "strat" copy but it doesn't say fender as others have said it can be made playable but at that money you can buy stuff that's more playable and not a blatant forgery, it's a thin line between a copy and a forgery in my opinion
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    That was a great video, interesting chap, his posh accent was very amusing
  • I really don't like fakes. I know someone who proudly wears a fake Rolex which 'only cost £100'. So you're trying to convince people you can afford a Rolex, when clearly you can't. Just wear a £100 watch and be 'out' about it.

I know someone else who uses a (quite obviously) fake Montblanc pen - same issue....

I fully understand a player who aspires to own a Gibson might buy a copy - which as long as it doesn't say 'Gibson' on the headstock is fine.

I'm no great fan of the modern Gibson company but their intellectual property should be respected.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    I worked on one almost identical to that a few months ago.

There are a few mistakes in that roundup, apart from not mentioning the bridge posts...

The switch is not "good quality". The raised rather than recessed nut with a washer under it is one of the most obvious instant giveaways, along with the slotted bridge posts, which you can see from the outside and even with no experience of the real thing. And no mention of the wrong pot locations - the 'parallelogram' is too square/parallel, which also shows in the shape of the backplate.

He's also wrong about Gibson using CTS pots and orange drop caps, which could lead to some real ones being called out as fakes!

The one I worked on could never be made into a great guitar either - although I made it nicely playable with the fret work I did on it, the wood was too light and soft and the whole thing felt and sounded wrong, even with better pickups. It wasn't terrible, but it was nowhere near even an Epiphone.

I solved the ethical dilemma by burning 'Made In China' deeply into the floor of the bridge pickup cavity with a soldering iron (with the owner's approval!). Not perfect, since it still did say Gibson on the headstock, but enough that I felt I had covered myself in the event that it later gets sold on as genuine - the current owner won't, but it's impossible to say about further down the line.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein