Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sweet Chil....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Sweet Child, amazing song, responsible for getting me into guitar.. I learnt the whole album after a year of intensive playing - powerful stuff - and still magic today - never doubt the magic of this song!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I teach a lot of people and believe your job is too inspire them. By showing you don't like his idol or his favourite song you've now distanced yourself from him and if he's anything like I was at that age he'll quit.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dick move
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickRick Frets: 0
    Seems like you've rightfully made yourself redundant..
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Say what you want about slash he is the reason I started playing. I'm currently on my 2nd reading of his autobiography and he admits himself at times its just basic stuff he plays. As we used to say in the army: ours is not to question why.....
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014

Lazy kid, I was performing that solo at age 15 and I learnt it off the record, piece by painstaking piece, both through ear and repetitive newfound muscle memory.  Although some photocopied tab helped too.

Anyway Slash is all about phrasing and timing and bends, slightly out, bad or whatever, I would imagine that it's actually quite difficult to teach his nuances and get them exactly right.  If he did learn it, it would probably sound awful anyway.

If he quits, we all know he'll buy a PRS when he is a practicing dentist when he is 50 and get lessons on playing Joe Bonamassa so big deal.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014
    I wish I didn't try to fly before I could crawl too and my guitar teacher gave me loads of shit at that age, I wouldn't have dared ask him to teach me something like that as I respected that he was trying to ground me and it would have been a massive insult to his incredible knowledge and classical ability.  Teachers should be bad, it weeds the ones out who aren't going to stick it and gives the rest a good wholesome widespread grounding.  Or alternatively, keep yourself employed and sell degrees online.  I like the nasty teacher angle better.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited November 2014
    Well - interesting to see the 'players' and the 'students' amongst you!

FYI I got sent back a msg from his School Music Teacher regarding the requirements for him to take GCSE Music Guitar and funnily enough it didn't ask for SCOM anywhere! As he WANTS to take the GCSE, I think focus on fundamentals is more important at this stage...

"Charlie does not need to take and pass a graded exam but he does need to be at the standard of at least Grade 1 on a musical instrument in order to take GCSE Music.  If Charlie takes the exam, he need only show me his certificate.  If he does not take the exam, he will need to perform a piece for me at Grade 1 standard or above."

So currently we are learning the importance of Apoyando and Tirando and employing these fingerings for a few 1st octave scales and the first performance piece on the list below for Grade I accreditation!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

That's a bit of a dick thing to say. I personally think it's more artistically valid to learn a song that you like and inspires you than to go through any of the turgid bullshit on the sheet snippet you posted. Maybe I'm a "player" rather than a "student" but at least I'm in a band writing and performing music that inspires me rather than taking out my bitterness on impressionable kids who are only starting their musical journey under the false authority of being a "teacher". 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom