Ampmaker P1800

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• More progress. In fact I thought it was finished (apart from the channel switch relay mod but I'll add that once the basic combo is up and running). However, unfortunately the speaker placement puts one of the voice coils right up against the mains transformer. I suspected it might be a problem and it is – it buzzes like hell when you power it up, so I'll have to make a new baffle with the speakers in a different place.

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 749
    Nice Job, well done.
    =D>
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Really cool, nice one.

Did you ever fire it up as a closed cab before you cut the back panel?

If so, what sort of difference did it make to the sound?
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    edited January 2015
    I fired it up with a closed back panel and the old speakers that were in it (cheap Celestion G12L-35s) but the Vintage 30s have much bigger magnets, hence the clash with the power transformer. So I haven't been able to fire it up like this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    Okay – I was going to make a new baffle but after carefully unpicking the grille cloth so I could get it off, I realised the Selmer badge, despite being plastic, is somehow attached to the baffle with two large blobs of solder. I didn't fancy my chance of getting it off in one piece, so I did some 'creative woodwork' (don't try this at home kids). This involved a jigsaw and some epoxy resin. I'm actually quite pleased with the result.

edited January 2015
    Then it was just a question of nailing it all back together again. So it's finished, apart from the channel switching mod, which I have all the bits for and will get around to when I have some more time. The Vintage 30s are noticeably louder than the old speakers and it should be capable of a pub gig, or two. It sounds great. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Les Paul through British style 18W 2x12 combo.

BEANO!!!!!

Seriously though, that is a lovely thing. It really appeals to me, both as a project and as a finished product.
  • Yeah - I'm really pleased with it. So much so that I'm thinking of selling my JCM 800.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Very nice my friend. Brilliant bit of engineering to reposition the speaker. Enjoy.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Thanks very much, although I'm not sure I'd categorise it as 'engineering...'