Parlour guitar

What's Hot
Hello,
I'm a beginner. I'm thinking about a Vintage v880 or a Tanglewood Java parlour guitar. Does anyone have any opinions?
One thing that is putting me off the tanglewood is the lack of fret markings, as a beginner they help me find my way around. Could I put dots on the frets or am I being silly?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I had a Tanglewood TW73 parlour for a few years, really superb guitar which more than held its own against many more expensive acoustics.  Never played the Java, but if it's anything like the more expensive versions, it'll be an absolute cracker.

Sold it last year due to thinning the herd a bit, and have regretted it ever since. :p
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi FD,
    Any feelings about the fret markings?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    As long as it has fret markers on the side of the neck you will adjust very quickly to them not being on the board.

Not sure of the price of the guitars your mentioned but I have a faith parlour (the naked series one) and it's a lovely guitar, so worth seeing if they will fall in to your price range new or used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    re the fret markings, you can always stick a couple of sticky dots on the fret board, they'll last until you learn your way round the fret board.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• thanks all.
    oh, and welcome BTW, have a free WIS fret.

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Watch this demo. It's really impressive how good a £130 parlour guitar can sound. 

• I've got a Vintage Brett 12string parlour acoustic. It's lovely.
    The V880 is a very decent guitar.

Tanglewoods are consistently nice too... So that's no help!

If it were me shopping for a parlour, I'd be looking at the Sigma range- some of those are VERY nice (but seem to be a bit more pricey- £300)
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Bongadav said:
    Hi FD,
    Any feelings about the fret markings?
    My TW73 had fretboard markers - I personally don't like them on acoustics, one of the reasons I bought my current Lakewood which just has a big blank stretch of ebony. :D

As long as the side markers are there, that's all you really need.  If you're desperate, just use the sticky dots mentioned above. :)
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited February 2015
    Gretsch Jim Dandy. Sounds far better than it deserves to given its price :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Yes still loving my Gretsch Jim Dandy too. Play it the most of any of my guitars.
  • Thanks for the kind help. I tried a Jim Dandy but found it hard to get clear chords higher up the frets, picking was fine.
    I mentioned the Tanglewood because I've seen a 2nd hand one for sale, and the Vintage because the reviews are so good for a price of around £175. I've seen a Tanglewood java in the flesh and found it easier to play. However its such a shame that the lovely aesthetics are on the back and the front is rather plain. Obviously you don't see the back when playing!
    I've also seen a Vintage Paul Brett 12 string for sale. Stimpson, as a relative beginner, would you think I could (not would!) get on ok with one - bearing in mind I found getting clear notes out of the Dandy hard around the 8 fret upwards? Is the nut width a bit wider to allow the 12 strings?
     My brother used to have a 12 string years ago and I remember loving the sound it made.
  • The only trouble I have with the Jim Dandy above fret 8 is where the knuckles of my fretting hand hit the body, which the neck joins at the 12th fret. Unless you had a cutaway, or the neck joins at the 14th, you'll have that problem on any parlour guitar, and if either of those are true, then your guitar probably isn't a 'traditional' parlour (but that's not to imply there's anything wrong with that).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • The only trouble I have with the Jim Dandy above fret 8 is where the knuckles of my fretting hand hit the body, which the neck joins at the 12th fret. Unless you had a cutaway, or the neck joins at the 14th, you'll have that problem on any parlour guitar, and if either of those are true, then your guitar probably isn't a 'traditional' parlour (but that's not to imply there's anything wrong with that).
    This is true of the Brett 12 too. 12th fret join & no cut away means it's VERY tough to go up to the dusty end... but to my mind, that's not what it's about on a parlour.
    The Brett 12 is excellent, it's a very easy to play 12string and sounds sweet (it's an electro too, so there's no issue with a lack of volume- you can amp it up to make it louder). I like it so much that I sold my Art Lutherie Ami, Simon & Patrick Cedar 12 and my Yamaha APX500 after I got it.

The nut is 48mm (rather than the 6 string version which is 46mm)- it's a handful, but certainly isn't a HUGE neck like my Simon & Patrick was!
    I'd say that you should try the 12string, to see if you like it (I'd say that about any guitar!) It's a wonderful thing, but 12 strings does make for a lack of space and a need for lots of acclimatisation. If you wanted a 14th fret join, try the 6 string version of the Brett- if I recall correctly it joins at 14 & is virtually identical otherwise.

My thoughts are here:

The Yamaha CPX500ii would be an excellent option too- they're not a true parlour, but are smaller than your average acoustic and play REALLY well.

PS thanks to everyone suggesting the Gretsch Jim Dandy- I'd gotten over that particular GAS attack... now it's back!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Try the 12 string. If you can't get on with it you can always string it with 6.
    I first learnt on a 12 string with only 6 and I found it easier to learn chords due to the extra space on the fretoard.
  • Thanks all, very helpful. It wasn't the 12 fret, or probably not the guitar, that was my problem I think, it was just my lack of ability.
    Thanks anyway. I'm going to try to go and see the Paul Brett 12.
    never let lack of ability stop you buying a shiny, I never have and I never will.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    @Bongdav get a gittar wiv fret markers cos when you undoubtably have a few lessons or try to teach yourself off the web you will spend less time trying to appropriate what you see in front of you...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've tried to analise what I do at the moment and I do look a lot at the fret markings as well as the side dots. I know what other say is correct about not needing the fret markings but I do feel I would be happier for a considerable time with them.
    I need all the help I can get!
  • I've never tried the Java, but I've got a Tanglewood TW133 ASM parlour and it's excellent.  It's slightly cheaper than the Java (£250 vs £290 from what I can find), but I only paid £150 for mine, new B-stock (although I've got no idea what the "fault" is - I suspect it may have been bankrupt stock or something), and at that price it was a massive bargain.  The only thing that could possibly do with changing on the TW133 is the plastic bridge saddle is a bit soft - the strings have dug into it a bit, but that's only being really fussy.