Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebay advice request - ultra-quiet buyer [sorted]

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm not sure the issue is with him trying to get the money back, for me atm the issue is with him not bothering to reply to my messages for almost a week, never mind turn up for the bloody thing.

I'm not a storage facility. Either he wants it, in which case he's welcome to come and get it, or he doesn't. Is it unreasonable to think it's only polite for him to let me know one way or the other?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    hobbio;525522" said:

I only ever accept cash for collection only items.
    Same here. I have never been stitched up, but just decided I didn't want to be put in that position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    ToneControl;525613" said:
    you can refund the paypal and ask him to bring cashI did this as a buyer once, the seller saves some paypal fees too, which has to be a good thing
    I have also done this. Person paid via PayPal and I refunded. Then received cash when they picked up.

You have to accept that some people don't read the instructions given in descriptions. I am not sure some even read any of the description?!?!?

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I'm not sure the issue is with him trying to get the money back, for me atm the issue is with him not bothering to reply to my messages for almost a week, never mind turn up for the bloody thing.

I'm not a storage facility. Either he wants it, in which case he's welcome to come and get it, or he doesn't. Is it unreasonable to think it's only polite for him to let me know one way or the other?
    Sounds like he was happy with cash on collection, so I think the risk is probably lower (though someone nasty could always just decide to take advantage, but you have to decide how much paranoia to live with). Stuff happens, so a reminder like you've sent is worth doing, you could always let him know you're going to refund but would still be happy with cash on collection as gru suggests. Really, the decision is down to how much you mind storing it for a bit and how long you think it would take to relist and sell again.

On paypal not accepting any evidence other than a courier's signature, even pictures and things, I'd be looking at getting the police involved if you have good evidence, since it's fraud. I think arbitration isn't binding where fraud is involved.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited February 2015
    As I said, I don't think the issue is potential fraud. I just think he can't be bothered.

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    As I said, I don't think the issue is potential fraud. I just think he genuinely isn't interested any more.
    That seems very odd if he's already paid you. I could understand it if he hadn't.

Perhaps something genuinely has happened, not the usual excuse type thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I do get your point, but I replied to his message about when to pick it up last Friday, and (according to ebay) he read my message instantly. Similarly, he read my prompting message instantly. But he hasn't replied to either over the last five days, even though when I asked him to pay he did so within minutes.

Like I say, he's got 277 pieces of positive feedback, so I really don't get it. He could easily say "Sorry about the radio silence, but I've been suffering from issues at my end, do you mind waiting a couple of days for the dust to settle and I'll be back in touch over the weekend?" Something like that.

But no. Nothing. Not a sausage. In fact...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Is there not a mobile number on his profile? If not, try directory enquiries for a landline number.

Telephone resolves 99% of problems.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    edited February 2015

It's possible he's just gone on holiday or something, it is half term this week I think?

• Philly_Q said:

It's possible he's just gone on holiday or something, it is half term this week I think?

Absolutely fair comment, but if he's reading my messages (and according to ebay he is), why not reply to them?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866

Ah, I must have misunderstood your initial post, I thought he hadn't shown any signs of life at all since Friday last week.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Have you checked whatever email account you have linked to your eBay? In the past I've had someone reply to my email and so it never showed up on eBay
  • underdog said:
    Have you checked whatever email account you have linked to your eBay? In the past I've had someone reply to my email and so it never showed up on eBay
    Yup. I check it several times a day for various reasons that aren't to do with ebay, and the ebay messages always show up.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I never accept paypal then collection for the reasons given above. And if a buyer goes silent I always send a message saying that its OK that they've changed their mind and I'll relist if I don't here from you by tomorrow 6pm. He's reading your messages so he's evading for a reason. Maybe a good reason or maybe bad. But by being 'understanding' you are letting him jerk your chain. Take the decision to refund/relist. Or be prepared to be messed around for another week or two.

You know in your heart that decent folk don't ignore messages for several days especially after they've made a purchase. You're making the Ebay newbie mistake of clinging to a sale - refund, relist, move on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • That's actually what I've been thinking all day, @Chalky, I just wanted to see if that's how anyone else would have handled it, or if I was being impatient and needed to cut the guy some slack.

Ta for that.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    One thing I do when I need to get in contact with the buyer is I will get his phone number off eBay and call/text him. Lots of people do not check eBay msgs (I've missed a few myself). Communication is alot more fluid if you can speak to him.

You can do this by going to the advanced search, and requesting his details. Click the "advanced" word located next to the search bar. Then on the left side bar, navigate to "find contact information", and input the details as required. Ebay will then email his contact details to you.

Here's a link to the advance search if you have problems locating it. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2149
    Hmmm weird.
  • So I decided at half ten last night "Fuck it" and refunded his paypal payment.

20 minutes later, I get a message saying "No I still want it, I can be there on Friday, just give me the details of where to come and when."

I haven't replied yet. Don't know whether to carry on or tell him to eff off and sod the feedback hit.
  • So I decided at half ten last night "Fuck it" and refunded his paypal payment.

20 minutes later, I get a message saying "No I still want it, I can be there on Friday, just give me the details of where to come and when."

I haven't replied yet. Don't know whether to carry on or tell him to eff off and sod the feedback hit.
    Cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Invite him round, get his cash but make him a really weak brew. 

:D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Give him one chance. Date/time/location. Cash on collection. If he no-shows, report him. Maybe give -ve feedback. Obviously a twunt.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom