Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rant about musician wanted ads

What's Hot

Comments

• Chalky;535403" said:
    Whenever I've been to my local open mike nights the only newbies allowed to join in have had to be female, pretty and disturbingly young. The regular musos seem far too controlling. As I fail all three criteria where can you find some old farts who just want to get together and jam towards maybe getting a handful of songs together?
    All the open mic nights I've done have been first come first served. That sounds more like a loosely organised gig than an open mic night.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wulfhere;35310" said:
    Am I untouchable? (I am about to go working away in India for two months, so maybe)
    You could take up the sitar....

• Wulfhere;35310" said:
    Am I untouchable? (I am about to go working away in India for two months, so maybe)
    You could take up the sitar....
    I've spent In the last five years I've spent a total of 14 months in India over 13 different trips. I have only seen someone playing the sitar once!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • It's that long running ad for a guitarist in the Guitarist classifieds that makes me laugh - must be over 22, must have long dark hair and must look like Richie Sambora - you know the one!
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2015
    I think the whole 'Quest for fame & glory' has gotten in the way of making good music. Especially around London & The South East. I see more bands interested in being themselves further north I think. Its like everyones read a book on how to be an arsehole. If I see the phrase "Da Industry" again, I ll kill.

Since I moved down south 4 years ago Ive really struggled to find people who want to make original music for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Most of the ads Ive seen are either 'Wanted unpaid session muso to back Urban act do as I say to play guitar until I become famous, but have no equity or stake in the act"

or...

" Wanted Guitarist to join covers band must be able to learn 500+ songs and sacrifice marriage & life in order to play Dooley's tunes down 'Plank & Strumpet' "

or...

"Controlling frontman wants you to play a few chords but nothing that might detract from them being centre of attention. You will have no creative input & I will sneer at your pedalboard" (That last one actually happened).

My last band were quite good, but the bassist/frontman was a control freak & the drummer couldn't play unless he was high.

Im moving back to the midlands in a few months so Im hoping I'll fair better there.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbio said:
    My problem is nerves. Even with the ad I posted here that's had a couple of responses I'm just too nervous about my ability to actually do anything. I really want to though!
    take the plunge bud. Everyone makes a fluff of things and is nervous from time to time
    The reward is always worth it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27229
    edited February 2015
    My last wanted ad is below. It's the only band ad I ever wrote that got more than 3 useful replies. In fact I got shitloads of great people respond and would've got a good band together if I hadn't got asked to audition with my actual last band within a couple of weeks of putting the ad up. 

"Right, I've had it with all this meek & mild "guitarist available" stuff that gets nowhere. A decent wedding band can get paid £200 per member in a single night, and have fun playing to dancey muppets while they're at it. Sound good? 

I want to start a functions/wedding band to have fun & make money playing covers of classic songs. The originals scene is crap right now and I'm tired of it. There must be others like me! I play Guitar plus a little keys and bass, and I'm confident singing harmonies, so I need a Bassist, Singist, Drummist, Keyboarderist or maybe another Guitarist. 

All you multi-instrumentalists get extra points. Age isn't important as long as you're good at your craft and happy to work hard. I can be reached on here or at [email] 

Go!"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I might just copy that exact ad when I do mine!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • Wulfhere said:
    I might just copy that exact ad when I do mine!
    Feel free. As long as no more than around 2% of people use it I think it should still work :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    I hope your expectations are reasonable, because it's exactly how I feel.

I've answered a number of ads over the years, and made it plain what sort of a player I am: I'm not an entirely useless guitarist, but I'm not a pro (if I was, I wouldn't be answering ads for covers bands!), but almost without fail the "auditions" have gone badly.  The worst being one where they had been very specific about covering some blues standards as performed by specific artists - and then started playing in a different key... That one lasted a song and a half...
  • Sometimes they seem more like adverts for cults...

Okay, well I'm a few months out but maybe I'll try my hand and posting an advert and see what turns up. Hopefully there's a lurking drummer and then I can head down to Stafford's open mic acoustic night and pick out a singer.
  • I reckon we should have a competition to put out the most ridiculous spoof ad and see who gets the best replies :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wulfhere said:
    I'd like to get into band playing again as I really miss playing with other musicians. But I'm getting put off by most of the ads I see (admittedly mainly on joinmyband). Usually they read like this:

WANTED: Guitarist for <ultraspecific genre> wanted, must have massive experience of gigging and total unswerving commitment to worldwide mega stardom. We have a set of songs which you must learn. Age 18-25 NO TIMEWASTERS

I mean, all I really want to do is just get together with people and learn some songs with likeminded folk who'd not mind me having to cancel a practice if I had to work and just maybe play occasional gigs. But mainly to just play for the sake and bloody enjoyment of it!

Is it just me? Am I untouchable? (I am about to go working away in India for two months, so maybe)
    Sounds to me like your issue is that you're not in a position to take it seriously. Well sorry... dems the breaks! People want people who aren't going to hold them back or flake out.

Practically no-one on the originals circuit is making money these days. Vis-a-vis ... everyone has to enjoy it, and if a band member is treating it like a standard hobby and isn't putting in the effort that everyone else is putting in, then the ship is going to be pulling in the same direction. And there is nothing more dispiriting than that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sooo...I'm guessing mine falls foul of this then ;)

There's nothing wrong with wanting somebody who can commit to the band - if that's not for you, fine, but I don't get what's wrong with asking? Not everybody who wants a properly committed band member is seeking fame and fortune, y'know. They just don't want to have to work around lazy asshats...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Plukky said:
    I hope your expectations are reasonable, because it's exactly how I feel.

I've answered a number of ads over the years, and made it plain what sort of a player I am: I'm not an entirely useless guitarist, but I'm not a pro (if I was, I wouldn't be answering ads for covers bands!), but almost without fail the "auditions" have gone badly.  The worst being one where they had been very specific about covering some blues standards as performed by specific artists - and then started playing in a different key... That one lasted a song and a half...
    Same message to you really.

You can't play blues standards in a different key right off the top of your head? Then you're not good enough to be in a band. Sorry!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    All guitarist follow the singer not the other way round.Its a lesson worth remembering .The times I have heard  "But Eric playes it in E"
  • I can highly recommend Bandmix: It got me into the band I'm in now.  I got a lot more serious attention than by using any of the free sites.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17669
    tFB Trader
    I think the issue with guitarists is that compared to other musicians they are ten a penny so you really have to bring something else to the table to have a look in. (That's not to say that it's any easier to actually find a good one).

It's possible I might recruit a second guitarist for my band, but if I do I'll be looking for someone with lots of live experience, good technical ability, pro gear, and either backing vocals or the ability to double on another instrument. I don't think I have to settle for less so I wouldn't.

So many people put adverts up like: "LEAD guitarist forming band requires: vocals, drums, bass, and RHYTHM guitarist. I will play all of the SOLOs and choose all of the songs"

• Doesn't anyone just jam for fun anymore though? That's what I'm really surprised at when I see that ads.

Fair play to you guys who need the commitment though, if you've got proper earning bands.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited February 2015
    Wulfhere said:
    Doesn't anyone just jam for fun anymore though? That's what I'm really surprised at when I see that ads.

Fair play to you guys who need the commitment though, if you've got proper earning bands.
    I'm not in a proper earning band, but I am still committed.  I'm not being taken for a count by someone who is half arsed and can't be bothered to put the time in to learn the stuff.  If someone wants to jam they can go down the pub and play their five bar blues 'til their heart's content.

I play songs for fun, in a band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom