Single coil distortion!!

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    edited March 2015
    Comfortably Numb

/thread.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5160
    All the talk about disregarding stacked humbuckers. I thought the point of stacks- the kind Paul Gilbert and Yngwie are using at least- was to maintain the same single coil sound, but to use the second coil primarily for its hum cancelling properties while minimizing its influence on tone. I get that, say an SD Li'l 59 is a different ball game, but why such a strong objections to including hum-cancelling SCs here?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17641
    tFB Trader
    Bucket;566124" said:

ALL of this.

Eek! that sounds like TGP made flesh...
    *shudders*

:)

That's cos it's a Larry Carlton cover. 

Their are far better examples of Jess Lewis which are a bit less "tasteful".
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    edited March 2015
    Mike McCready of Pearl Jam fame has a pretty nice single coil tone going on.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited March 2015
    My Bloody Valentine manage to get a bit of distortion going with single coils

And of course the first still shows a humbucker!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    White Stripes era Jack White is his fiberglass Airline guitar, whose pickups are single-coils despite being dressed up to look like those "humbucker" pickups in the upmarket Gibsons of the time. 
    You can never be sure what guitar was used on what record, but one of his Airline guitars makes it into this video, and this is one of my favourite cut-like-a-scalpel crunch tones on record.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Bridge P90 through a small output valve amp with the mids boosted is what you want. Although you don't know it yet.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Nothing sounds like a P90 with fuzz or distortion...they win at everything!
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Seriously nobody mentions Iron Maiden, I thought this was a U.K. based forum, what the fuck happened to you lots education? I mean come on they've only been going since the 70's and have about 20 albums, not to mention three lead guitarists.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27119
    Dalefty said:
    Seriously nobody mentions Iron Maiden, I thought this was a U.K. based forum, what the fuck happened to you lots education? I mean come on they've only been going since the 70's and have about 20 albums, not to mention three lead guitarists.

DaLefty
    This is probably why...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited March 2015
    stickyfiddle;567270" said:
    Dalefty said:

DaLefty

This is probably why...

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Product News/Guitar/dave-murray-strat-crop-630-80.jpg
    And I believe Adrian & Jannick both favour single coil sized HB's, which probably rules all three of them out.

IIRC Billy Corgan also uses HBs in his Strats.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27119
    stickyfiddle;567270" said:
    Dalefty said:

DaLefty

This is probably why...

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Product News/Guitar/dave-murray-strat-crop-630-80.jpg
    And I believe Adrian & Jannick both favour single coil sized HB's, which probably rules all three of them out.

IIRC Billy Corgan also uses HBs in his Strats.
    Yup. They all did for a while, but either way, I'm not aware of a large amount of single coil use.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    Placebo
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Bob Mould ftw!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10536
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    english_bob said: All the talk about disregarding stacked humbuckers. I thought the point of stacks- the kind Paul Gilbert and Yngwie are using at least- was to maintain the same single coil sound, but to use the second coil primarily for its hum cancelling properties while minimizing its influence on tone. I get that, say an SD Li'l 59 is a different ball game, but why such a strong objections to including hum-cancelling SCs here?

The problem with stack is that they are
    not single coils, and in general they don't sound quite as 'open' and ... well, single coilish! This is due to the loading of the secondary coil ... which is what makes them a humbucker: 
    To get a given output from a pickup you need a set number of turns ... lets say a Strat pickup of 6k needing about 8000 turns of 42awg wire. To make it humbucking (wherever you put the second coil) you need a secondary coil of a significant proportion, if not the full amount, of turns as the primary one 16000 for both coils ... that's 8000 turns of extra resistance filtering out the high harmonics for no extra power ... as the coil is too far from the strings to have a significant effect.
    Now add to this the problem that to fit all this extra wire into the space required means that finer wire than 42awg has to be used ... yet more filtering of the sound ... this time by the 'skin effect' of fine wire. 
    Stacks are useful ... but the design is very inefficient and 'lossy' ... and requires all sorts of poking and prodding with shaped ferrous masses and bollocks to get it anywhere near right. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    ^^^

And didn't Gibson try to hum cancel their P-90's by making  a stacked version called the P100 which doesn't seem to garnish much praise. i.e people don't like 'em.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Ah, I do like Placebo! 
    I quite like a little bit of single coil hum ;) Never had it feeding back to the point where it's a problem - I imagine that's a pain!
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    TheGuitarWeasel;567337" said:
    english_bob said:

All the talk about disregarding stacked humbuckers. I thought the point of stacks- the kind Paul Gilbert and Yngwie are using at least- was to maintain the same single coil sound, but to use the second coil primarily for its hum cancelling properties while minimizing its influence on tone. I get that, say an SD Li'l 59 is a different ball game, but why such a strong objections to including hum-cancelling SCs here?

The problem with stack is that they are not single coils, and in general they don't sound quite as 'open' and ... well, single coilish! This is due to the loading of the secondary coil ... which is what makes them a humbucker: To get a given output from a pickup you need a set number of turns ... lets say a Strat pickup of 6k needing about 8000 turns of 42awg wire. To make it humbucking (wherever you put the second coil) you need a secondary coil of a significant proportion, if not the full amount, of turns as the primary one 16000 for both coils ... that's 8000 turns of extra resistance filtering out the high harmonics for no extra power ... as the coil is too far from the strings to have a significant effect.

Now add to this the problem that to fit all this extra wire into the space required means that finer wire than 42awg has to be used ... yet more filtering of the sound ... this time by the 'skin effect' of fine wire. Stacks are useful ... but the design is very inefficient and 'lossy' ... and requires all sorts of poking and prodding with shaped ferrous masses and bollocks to get it anywhere near right. 
    Why not use the fender elite model of an extra dummy coil? The singles would retain their character and be noise less?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    samzadgan said:
    Nothing sounds like a P90 with fuzz or distortion...they win at everything!
    apart from sparkly cleans :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.