Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I'm pretty impressed tbh. I haven't really looked at these until now, but this would be awesome as my home set up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That last 10 seconds is ridiculous.
  • Well, that demo didn't, at any point, sound like anything other than the analogue gear it was modelling.

Pretty mind blowing.
  • Deijavoo;763075" said:
    That last 10 seconds is ridiculous.
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of that guitar riff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26609
    edited August 2015
    Hang on a minute. It's just occurred to me that you can do something with the Helix that the AxeFX can't match.

You can use n expression pedals (up to three) to seamlessly blend between n+1 signal paths.

If I can do that - I'd only need three signal paths, so two expression pedals - then I really don't care about delay trails between patches/scenes because it doesn't even matter.

I know Clarky does it on the Axe with two chains, but the Helix...well, it doubles that.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just listened again through headphones.

Bloody hell those rock tones have got some punch. Wow!

The HD500 tones were pretty good but were thin sounding with no balls whatsoever.

Helix is brutal:)
    I'll be a couple of years behind waiting on the used market though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm going to wait for the helix X, it's like the helix but with more X in it so it's better. It'll be out about 9 months after the helix, just to shit on resale value of the original. 2016 there will be helix units going for under £500 on eBay.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Still not hearing a clean sound that would make me want one. JTM 45 was nice but it wasn't clean. AC30 sounded lifeless to me.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    That demo video sounded awesome (except the WTF last 10 seconds).

I think it's one of the greatest tests of a bit of kit that it preserves the characteristic sounds in all the positions of a strat even with buckets of gain and that did it in spades.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I want one godamnit!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Hang on a minute. It's just occurred to me that you can do something with the Helix that the AxeFX can't match.

You can use n expression pedals (up to three) to seamlessly blend between n+1 signal paths.

If I can do that - I'd only need three signal paths, so two expression pedals - then I really don't care about delay trails between patches/scenes because it doesn't even matter.

I know Clarky does it on the Axe with two chains, but the Helix...well, it doubles that.
    I don't cross-fade between signal paths, I morph the tone which is a bit of a different thing..
    I do however switch between 4 independent paths before and after the amp, and cross-fade 4 paths after the amp and before the digital fx [via the mixer block] simultaneously

it's not exactly the same as what I think you're describing.. but I reckon I'd be able to find a way to do this in the Axe

play every note as if it were your first
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited September 2015
    Yep, sounds like they nailed it. It has the 'thump' and solidity that's been missing from 99% of modellers until now.

The /13 model sounded particularly lovely.

Was it just me or did the Twin model sound a bit farty in that demo?

Apart from the delay, I'm not overly keen on most of the effects though. For example, the tremolo lacked the warmth and depth of my Effectrode Delta-Trem.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap on the Twin fartyness.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited September 2015
    Sounds great in the latest video.

I would like to hear a dry demo (no delay/reverb) through a solid state power amp and cab, nice and loud to see how it translates that low end in to a cab.
  • I was wondering if you could globally disable cabs (if you wanted to run straight into a power amp and guitar cab), but then it occurred to me...you wouldn't need to. As long as you don't mind sacrificing one of the loops, you could set up all your patches so that one of the loop outputs is always taken directly before the cab/impulse block (for me, that'd always be last in the chain).

Then you can run direct into the PA, to an amp/cab or both at the same time.

Perhaps the Helix might be the thing to finally get me to buy a Matrix GM50 module and shove it in a guitar cab...
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited September 2015
    Yeah you can do the same on the Axe FX, one send with IRs one without, each output has its own volume knob on the unit.  On paper it is a great idea however there are caveats - if you tweak based on what you hear from the cab you're affecting what FOH is hearing.  Likewise if you use a different cab to the IR you're sending you're not hearing the same thing.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    From what I recall.. Twins do sound farty, especially when you're using the neck pickup on higher volume settings.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Deijavoo said:
    Snap on the Twin fartyness.
    Yeah, but also surprisingly thin sounding. Disappointed in the clean tones. Need to do better in that department to interest me. SRV SSS model along with a Super Reverb and count me mildy interested again.

Thats the thing with these modelling gizmos. Do crunch, metal, and hi-gain distortion quite well but fail on the clean dynamics and EQ.
    The D/13 sounded great to me.