Beyond the Chord Shapes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    bingefeller said:Ok, semantics aside, any song that has chords which have 3rds in them unless it's a modern composition that has no 3rds. Happy?
    It's not semantics, I'm hoping that you'll check out the other approaches to Harmony and not just think that tertiary (3rds) is the only system being used for Harmony.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    GuyBoden said:

"There is nothing new in art except talent" Anton Chekhov
    There's nothing new but the very old - Anko Itosu. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    frankus said:
    GuyBoden said:

"There is nothing new in art except talent" Anton Chekhov
    There's nothing new but the very old - Anko Itosu. ;)
    I google him.

"The Early Life of Itosu

Born in 1830 in the city of Shuri in Okinawa, Itosu is believed to have had a rough childhood, often being beaten and abused by his father. It is said that his father would tie him up and continually poke him with a stick in order to teach him fighting spirit.

This would be reflected later in the teachings of Itosu, as many of the kata he is thought to have invented and influenced have moves that are designed to disarm a would-be attacker brandishing a stick. "
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Any good sources for learning about the other approaches to harmony @GuyBoden? :)
    edited October 2015

yep, I don't know if it applies as much to music - but the human body only moves a certain number of ways so all strikes, chokes, locks and take downs have been seen before or somewhere before, rediscovering them is as interesting as the reasons for their falling into misuse are largely cultural changes (such as teaching Karate alongside Judo in Japanese schools and removing the commonalities).

These days in martial arts it is recognised by many that what differentiates martial arts is simply how they are taught, the movements are too similar to discern one style from another to a great extent.

It might be that melody/harmony is still filling that space after religion got in the way and declared some music evil, however the church also gave us Hildegard Von Bingen; at some point we'll have dabbled with all the 12 note combinations and systemisations and see each era as having favourites possibly based on technologies of the day... personally I think rhythm is more important and more mature, having a more complete history and etymology and more diversity.

One example I think of is people getting angry about Derek Bailey, some people think it's not music and he was a fraud.. I suspect many people are listening to it and interpreting it as a beginner approaching the guitar because that's their only frame of reference for the wonderful landscapes he makes... but in my mind, I can recall the scarier feelings of bewilderment when I first picked up a guitar and made alien noises rather than immediately acceptable sounds - but it's not all there is to those sounds Weburn, Varese etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    Megii said:
    Any good sources for learning about the other approaches to harmony @GuyBoden? :)

Personally, I listen to music with "other approaches to harmony".

Example, Debussy's Sunken Cathedral composed in 1910, which uses a technique named Parallelism.

Edit: IMO, the terminologies used, "Parallelism" etc, makes something simple, sound more complicated than it actually is......

edited October 2015

you must love minecraft ;)

a lovely piece of music btw :)