Help with amp for a PRS DGT

What's Hot
DNHDNH Frets: 15

I recently bought a 2009 PRS DGT Goldtop (from Majorscale, great bloke to deal with btw). It is a fabulous playing guitar and sounded superb both clean and overdriven through the LJ20 I tested it on. However, having brought the guitar home I’ve discovered that it doesn’t sound as good through my amp, a Headstrong Lil’ King. I’m primarily a Tele player and the Lil’ King works great for blackface cleans and as a pedal platform with my Teles, but with the DGT there is far too much bass available even with the amp’s bass knob rolled right off. Clean tones are not too bad, but overdriven sounds really flub out, especially on the neck pickup.

I’d appreciate advice on ways that I could get the DGT working better with my amp, or whether I really need another type of amp to get the best from the guitar. I had been wondering about buying a second amp that will do JTM 45/Plexi type vintage overdrive tones, which might well suit the DGT more, so any recommendations along those lines would be great to hear too (I’d be looking for a combo, 20 watts max).

Cheers,

Duncan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 848
    edited January 2016
    I've played a lot of these DGT's now and was quite shocked when comparing one to my Les Paul thats one of the fattest Les Pauls I've ever heard. The DGT's were all a hell of a lot darker than the Les Paul. I think it's inherent in those guitars as you can hear it in all of Grissoms latest solo outputs. Anyway I recommend a Matchless or Badcat that can get them to sound brighter as I think it was probably Grisssoms best sounding period also. ( I'm aware he wasn't using DGT back then )
    Check out the 15 watt Badcats as they're a Bargain compared to Matchless.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As a simpler "fix" you could try some 1k ohm pots in there in place of the 500k* ones?

*presumably; if they're 300k ala Gibson then swap them for 500k 10% tolerance pots.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24411
    Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. Vintage but with loads of treble bite. Perfect for brightening a dark guitar.
  • Probably not the sort of thing you're interested in but I thought my DGT sounded magnificent through a Roland JC120.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • DNHDNH Frets: 15
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for all the responses. All great suggestions but I think for now at least I'd rather keep the guitar stock and experiment with amps. @koss59 I like the sound of a 15 watt Badcat. Coda have a few 15 watt models within my budget: the Black Cat 15, the Cub III 15 and the Hot Cat 15. Maybe I will take a trip there with the DGT this weekend. Any idea which of the 3 would be best for vintage Grissom style overdrive?

Cheers,
    Duncan 
  • FezFez Frets: 527
    Jet City are bright amps so could be worth a try. Or try a treble booster like the Bigfoot Engineering Trouble booster or a Dallas Rangemaster clone (BYOC do a kit if you can solder).
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 848
    Definitely go for the Blackcat 15, one of the best amps I've ever owned. Only sold it as I have the 30 too and needed the bigger headroom more often. You will not regret it, it's brilliant at classic Grissom tones.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Try a 22w Two Rock Studio Pro with a good distortion pedal.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17642
    tFB Trader
    I would think the cheapest and easiest solution would be a tube screamer type pedal to tighten the low end.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    I use an AMT F1 preamp for exactly this situation.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    You could look at my Cornell Voyager 20 in the classifieds. It would do all that you need.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

A tube screamer would probably get the job done - but I must admit that I quite fancy the Black Cat. I'll take a trip to Coda this weekend to try the Badcats and if they don't work out then I've got the TS type pedal as a backup plan!

Cheers for all of the responses on this - really helpful stuff.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    DNH said:
    A tube screamer would probably get the job done - but I must admit that I quite fancy the Black Cat. I'll take a trip to Coda this weekend to try the Badcats and if they don't work out then I've got the TS type pedal as a backup plan!

Try the Two Rock while you are there.
    I was looking at both Two Rock and Bad Cat and walked away with the Two Rock.
    octatonic said:
    DNH said:

Try the Two Rock while you are there.
    I was looking at both Two Rock and Bad Cat and walked away with the Two Rock.
    Will do - thanks for the tip!
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    Duncan, I know that the DGT sounds amazing through a Magnatone as I gig a Twilighter. Coda has the Magnatone range too...
    edited January 2016
    Cheers Steven, I'll take a look at the Magnatone too (although it would be right at the top of my budget). I'm still really happy with the DGT, I just need to find the right amp to pair it with.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    There are smaller, cheaper & less powerful "maggies" in the range at Coda, certainly worth a dabble if you are there. Plus my lj20 is based on a tweed deluxe so that's another avenue. Interestingly I consider my lj20 to be a dark, warm amp yet it certainly was working with the DGT as you found out.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I run both my DGT's through a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and they sound wonderful.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited January 2016
    Best Amp I ever had working with my DGT was either my JTM45 or JMP 50...doesnt help I know!!!
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I play my DGT through a H&K Puretone head and matching 2x12 cab driven by a wampler euphoria. It puts a smile on my face every time.