Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you trade?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
in Guitar tFB Trader
I've been offered a Mira X for my ASAT Special. 

It's too far to go and look so it will have to be done blind. 

I don't know much about them (though I like the Mira) 

The only thing putting me off is that it doesn't have taps and is two conductor so can't be wired to have them without replacing the pickups. 

Would you trade?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Yes, I would.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Not sure I would if you are going into it thinking about a pickup and wiring upgrade costing, what? A couple of hundred?

Put another way, if it had the pickups and wire how you would like it, would you hand over your G&L plus £200 for the Mira?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'm not sure I'd give away an ASAT for something I've not tried. What if you don't like it? I have always fancied a mid range Schecter until I tried one recently. Turns out I hate the necks. Can you try one somewhere else? Have you tried Miras, but not the X variant? How are you doing the trade (eBay, here, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions, they're just all things I'd consider.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    ASAT special, not an ASAT.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about a Korean guitar traded for a USA one?
    octatonic;93561" said:
    ASAT special, not an ASAT.Correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about a Korean guitar traded for a USA one?
    Is it a PRS SE?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not sure the woods are great on the Mira X, would certainly want to try it first.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815

Its still a US made guitar, made and checked by the same QC guys as the more expensive models....

I'd say yes..

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    arent there more important questions, like - what the neck profile is like, fretboard width etc...  general  playing comfort stuff that cant be changed no matter what
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I would trade for a Mira but not the Mira X. As already said you'll be out a few quid for four wire pickups and new pots. I think the bridge and the woods were also cheaper than the regular Mira.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    ASAT special, not an ASAT.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but we're talking about a Korean guitar traded for a USA one?
    ASAT Special is a US model as is the PRS. The Special is the one with MFD pickups rather than Tele pickups.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Personally I wouldn't. Because I've never played a PRS I really liked. They always felt wrong (to me) I one way or another.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    DeeTee said:
    I'm not sure I'd give away an ASAT for something I've not tried. What if you don't like it? I have always fancied a mid range Schecter until I tried one recently. Turns out I hate the necks. Can you try one somewhere else? Have you tried Miras, but not the X variant? How are you doing the trade (eBay, here, etc)?

Sorry for all the questions, they're just all things I'd consider.
    I've tried the Mira which I liked a lot.
    Never tried an X

The trade would be via the classifieds the chap would be sending the Mira + a case for the ASAT and I'd be sending the ASAT back.
  • Were you thinking about moving the ASAT on?

If so...the Mira X will probably be a lot easier to shift. I've done a few trades on this basis - I couldn't move the gear I had, so I traded it for something that'd be easier to sell.
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    Were you thinking about moving the ASAT on?

If so...the Mira X will probably be a lot easier to shift. I've done a few trades on this basis - I couldn't move the gear I had, so I traded it for something that'd be easier to sell.
    Yeah it's in the classifieds. 

This is probably worth considering. 

In answer to other questions assuming the profile on the Mira and the X are the same I like the neck. It is sunburst which I'm less keen on. There is a cherry one in Peach ATM, but that's quite a drive. 
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Adam_MD said:
    I would trade for a Mira but not the Mira X. As already said you'll be out a few quid for four wire pickups and new pots. I think the bridge and the woods were also cheaper than the regular Mira.
    Probably shouldn't post in this but..... The Mira X has the same hardware as the other US models, same tuners as the McCarty, same alloy and brass stop tail as all the US other stop tail models.  It went down the same production line and is made to the same quality as the other US Core models. The woods are lower cost, but that was the point of the 'X' model range. Pickups are uncovered versions of those fitted to the SC245, a model further up the range.  Sorry to butt in, just adding a few details.
    tFB Trader
    Richardj said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Probably shouldn't post in this but..... The Mira X has the same hardware as the other US models, same tuners as the McCarty, same alloy and brass stop tail as all the US other stop tail models.  It went down the same production line and is made to the same quality as the other US Core models. The woods are lower cost, but that was the point of the 'X' model range. Pickups are uncovered versions of those fitted to the SC245, a model further up the range.  Sorry to butt in, just adding a few details.
    Cheers RIchard. 

Feel free to chip in. I'm just procrastinating. 
    How important are the coil taps to you?
    tFB Trader
    I'd feel happier if I had them because I play mostly soul/funk and they sound very good on the Mira, but my Gretsch doesn't have them and I still use it for soul stuff. 
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    If again I may be so bold.....  The Xs, because of the timbers used, have a much brighter tone than the equivalent 'hog bodied models. To me personally it has an almost semi-solid resonance and is a teeny bit more versatile. 

It is also in near new condition, has the original PRS hard case with papers, tag, tools and a few other goodies (PRS strap, picks, new set of PRS 10's).  

I'll go away again now!
  • Would you trade?
    Yes. In a heartbeat. But that's me.