Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Effects you've bought but never taken to

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12655
For me its chorus, it just makes me sound like I'm playing in 1985
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    Compressors - kill my playing dynamics (yes I know that's what they're supposed to do ;) )
    Overdrive pedals (as opposed to distortion and fuzz pedals) - too boxy-sounding
    Enhancers/Exciters - make everything sound thin and crap
    Pitch shifters (as opposed to octavers) - make everything sound metallic and weird
    Complicated MIDI-controlled/linked/synthy things - make me become irrationally old-fashioned

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had a Line 6 M5, then and M9 then a Zoom G3 and I just didn't bond with any of them. They sounded fine (well the delays/mods) but convinced me I should just stick with single stomp boxes, no matter how simple the interface is with all that  WYSIWYG I still just don't click with it.

The EHX Micro Synth was an interesting experient, I was so excited to get one but I just failed to get anything useful from it.

• The Mad Professor Snow White.  

I was convinced, being boutiquey, it would be the best there is.  It isn't.  It sounded fine, but I couldn't make it suit my guitars that well, and it had a bit too much 'sponge' in the reaction.

The QTron has a faster reaction time, and a nicer, less smooth but way funkier sounding 'cool down' where the note gets quieter and the envelope... Er... Changes.  I don't know the technicalities.  

Still wish I could make it bond with high output buckers, but you can't have the moon on a stick...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Chorus and pitch FX. I like it when other guitarists use them, but whenever I do, I dislike.

Increasingly I am realising I'm a pretty old school kinda guy - phaser, delay, reverb, wah.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    For me its chorus, it just makes me sound like I'm playing in 1985
    Might be a broken pedal... the delay should be around 6-10 milliseconds. that sounds more like 886,723,200,000 milliseconds. ;)

Pedals ... hmm ... not rapt on flangers...  or ring mods or old school octavers...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74281

The EHX Micro Synth was an interesting experient, I was so excited to get one but I just failed to get anything useful from it.

I had one of those, and it's the only synthy pedal I *have* been able to get anything useful out of. I foolishly sold it cheaply to a friend when I wasn't really using it and he had an application, and then the bugger went and sold it on without even telling me! I must get another one at some point…

Drew_fx said:
    Increasingly I am realising I'm a pretty old kinda guy - phaser, delay, reverb, wah.
    Edited for accuracy ;).

(I have a big headstart on you so I am speaking from experience here! Recently I have caught myself saying that a pedal or an amp is "too bassy" as well :-O. Where will it end? A Tweed Fender and carpet slippers, probably…)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most modulations for me;

Chorus
    Phaser
    Flange
    Auto-wah
    Ring Mod
    Pitch shifter/Whammy

I've not found a Compressor I like yet either, but I do typically use a Ross model a lot when I play through a virtual rig so I should probably try one of them! 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I had a wah pedal that I never got on with - another one where I love what other people do with them, but not for me.

Compressor. I've never had one, and when I've played one briefly in a shop, I was very much put off - it just kills dynamics, as ICBM said, which I interpreted as a "Make the guitar stop doing what you're expecting it to do" pedal. I imagine the key is to just buy one of the fuckers and leave it engaged until you've got the hang of it.
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 157
    edited February 2014

£300.00 + Overdrive pedals designed to transparently push your amp in to that 'natural , amp like, on the verge of break up territory". Now I just turn my amp up so it's 'on the verge of break up'. 

I haven't cracked modulation or digital effects yet, but I'll get there.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 157
    edited February 2014

@ Anyone who can't get on with compressors because your dynamics are getting too squashed should try the Dinosaural OPC-102 made by Dan Coggins of Lovetone pedal fame.

No loss of dynamics (if you want to set it that way), no extra or unwanted noise, no loss of top or bottom end (hypes the highs a little bit actually, more so the more compression you have).

One of many comps being sold as "compression for people who don't use compression"- with the difference that this one actually is!

It's not on the web site, but it is on his ebay shop. Check it out, I'm not affiliated, just a happy punter.

Won't sound anything like your Ross clone!

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Compressors. Did nothing for my playing.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567

I don't seem to get on with any of my overdrives or distortion pedals and I now have a reasonable and growing collection of the usual culprits.

I do however, quite like my Line 6 'Constrictor' compressor. 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I haven't cracked modulation or digital effects yet, but I'll get there.

Use a bigger hammer........But not on Boss they're indestructable......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7397
    All of them...but I like the pretty colours...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Compressors. Did nothing for my playing.

that means you don't play in a Johnny Cash covers band then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Flanger - just no. Some people can make them sound great. I can't.
    Compressors - just get in my way.
    Ring mod - why?
    Reverb - yes, please take all the definition out of my sound. Brilliant, thanks.
    Overdrive - my amp does all the drive things I want it to. Dirt from a pedal just sounds wrong by comparison. Clean boost FTW.
    Fuzz - No.
    Octave fuzz - take a brilliant sound (octave) and wreck it with lo-fi fuzz that sounds like you're playing through an old radio. Good work.

Much as I love to dick around, I really just need wah, phaser and delay (with a tiny bit of chorus on the repeats) with a good amp providing the drive. Anything else is utterly superfluous.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Compressors - just don't see how it benefits my sound.

Wah - bought a good one because I thought I should have one, don't have enough coordination to be able to play and use it!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7397
    edited February 2014
    Richardj;154639" said:
    <SNIP>

Wah - bought a good one because I thought I should have one, don't have enough coordination to be able to play and use it!

@Richardj - get this then for £29 quids only and you too can sound like Edie Brickell... http://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_sensewah.htm

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

[-O<
  • Drew_fx said:
    Reverb - yes, please take all the definition out of my sound. Brilliant, thanks.

[-O<
    I'm saying nothing :D
    <space for hire>