Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Effects you've bought but never taken to

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Definition is for librarians, I like teh mushies.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    I found an old post of yours about having delay in front of the amp, so I thought I'd try it today.  

Now I'm trying to work out whether I should sell my TC Repeater and get 2 cheaper ones, one for loop for my usual stuff, one in front.  MUSHY SOUNDED AWESOME. 

Or maybe I should just rework my sounds to have it in front.  It was a lot more fun, that's for sure...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited February 2014
    What occurs with the reverb thing is that the no-reverb/all-the-definition<----------------------------------------------->all-the-reverb/no-definition thing is simply another dynamic range for you to play with. 
    If you go off on a slooshy reverb trip, you have gone to a faraway place that you can return from to shout an inch away from the listener's face with your defined-to-the-max no-reverb guitar, to punctuate whatever. 
    This applies to all effects. 
  • Chorus - I just can't get on with it, it makes me sound super 80's. 

Although I've got a soft spot for my Small Stone phaser, so not all modulation is bad.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    EdGrip said:
    What occurs with the reverb thing is that the no-reverb/all-the-definition<----------------------------------------------->all-the-reverb/no-definition thing is simply another dynamic range for you to play with. 
    If you go off on a slooshy reverb trip, you have gone to a faraway place that you can return from to shout an inch away from the listener's face with your defined-to-the-max no-reverb guitar, to punctuate whatever. 
    This applies to all effects. 
    Absolutely. Turning off the effect can be as powerful an "effect" as turning it on.

I also like turning on and off effects at non-completely-predictable places in the song, ie not always at verse/chorus/middle/solo changes, but somewhere in the middle to accent what's about to happen or vice versa. I initially did it as a work-around to avoid having to tap-dance on several pedals at the same time, but I came to much prefer the way you can change the dynamic and flow of the song by making changes in places you wouldn't necessarily expect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I keep buying modulation and I don't really like any of them. I end up thinking they all sound gimmicky apart from tremolo. I quite like the sound of phasers but they make me play in rhythm with the cycle all the time, which is not always ideal. I used a wah for donkey's years, took a break from them and now I think they sound shit when I use them.
    Have gone through an embarrassing amount of reverb pedals - I am ultimately putting off buying a spring unit but lack both the funds and the balls. And they're somewhat impractical.
    Never bonded with the TC Flashback.
  • Bought and sold at least half-a-dozen compressors, in an effort to get some clean sustain, but in a two-guitar band I find delay is how to achieve this. And it kills attack, which is I've discovered a major component of my 'personal tone'.

Fuzzes - as above

Distortion - as above

Lovepedal Believe - so pleased with my Lovepedal Eternity OD I allowed brand values to persuade me into buying a Ring Mod tuned as an Octaver while going through a KWS phase. It might well work for some people, but I'm such a tone purist I cannot seem to find a place for it. 

Whammy Pedal - long gone: even with a bypass fitted it still killed tone when off, so I never put the work in to make it sing for me

Phaser - got the best, (Moonphaser) and never use it

On the other hand, I use a lot of (subtle) chorus effects and delay, OD on my single-channel amps, own three wahs and still tempted to try some more!  Sold my Hernida Reverb and looking to replace it with a Hof or Flint.

"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Drew_fx said:
    I found an old post of yours about having delay in front of the amp, so I thought I'd try it today.  

Now I'm trying to work out whether I should sell my TC Repeater and get 2 cheaper ones, one for loop for my usual stuff, one in front.  MUSHY SOUNDED AWESOME. 

Or maybe I should just rework my sounds to have it in front.  It was a lot more fun, that's for sure...
    Nearly all of my favourite guitarists just go straight into the front of the amp, and they dial the mix on their delays back a fair amount so that it doesn't get too swampy with the high-gain sounds. So I've just always done it that way.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I usually prefer delay in the loop but the crazy, head-trip sounds you can get from putting it in front with high-gain sounds do have their place... as for effects I can't get on with... can't really think of any. I have a phaser, and while it sounds good I don't get much use from it...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

Im not against reverb but this pedal just didn't work for me at all.

I sold it and put the cash toward a H.O.F mini

• I thought I disliked all modulation for my own music until I worked out that I quite like modulated delays.  I find it a bit overkill to modulate the whole signal, but running a delay in the loop with the modulation on it seems to work for me.

Besides that my pedal board is pretty boring.

Tuner -> Gate -> Boost -> Volume Pedal -> Amp -> Delay 
  • I had a digitech Synth Wah.

I loved the sounds, it kept me entertained for hours but there was one big issue with it

It couldnt be used in a band context at all. It was like a foghorn blast through a tannoy...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    The one I have advertised

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    I had a digitech Synth Wah.

I loved the sounds, it kept me entertained for hours but there was one big issue with it

It couldnt be used in a band context at all. It was like a foghorn blast through a tannoy…
    I found that too - for guitar. Horribly harsh and overpowering.

It was fantastic for bass though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13

Pitchshifter (shitpifter)

Phaser

flanger

envolope filter

reversed delay / reverb (quite like for noodling around but never found a use for) .

Flown the nest .
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited February 2014
    I couldn't get on with the Jim Dunlop Wah's. The lack of treadle travel did my head in as did which made the sweep seem light switch on/off. The Morley's were a tad too modern sounding but I absolutely love the Weeping Demons. I also couldn't get on with the HD500 and all compressor pedals.
  • ICBM said:
    I had a digitech Synth Wah.

It couldnt be used in a band context at all. It was like a foghorn blast through a tannoy…
    I found that too - for guitar. Horribly harsh and overpowering.

It was fantastic for bass though!
    Off topic,but 'harsh and overpowering' is the way I am finding my EMG-equipped guitar at the moment.  It is fine if you are the only guitar in a band, but as soon as there are two, there is a problem (which if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears).
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • New got on with tremelo. Love the sounds other people produce. However I love my univibe
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    longi said:
    I couldn't get on with the Jim Dunlop Wah's. The lack of treadle travel did my head in as did which made the sweep the sweep seem light switch on/off.
    This! I also can't get on with the switches on these. I've only really bonded with Morelys and the Weeping Demon.
  •   I convinced myself that I needed an MXR 10 band eq, to use with both bass and guitar.  That was more than a year ago- it still sits in the box, unopened.  F'in GAS...

Dynacomp.  Never really worked out what it was supposed to do, or how to use it.  Now collects dust.   My main amp, a Mustang III has two comps on it, one of which is an idiot proof one knob job.  Much easier to fiddle around with that.

Noise suppressor.  I get what they're used for, but even my single coils- at as high a gain as I use them- don't make enough noise to bother.  Again, the MIII has a noise gate built in that works well.

Any others are just currently of of favor, but I'm sure my fickle arse will try them again at some point.