The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    edited May 2017
    Looking at my local candidates. Our UKIP candidate is a guy called Sabriye Warsame who is a Somalian migrant who moved to the UK in 2000. He's a Muslim and has no white British people on his Facebook friends list. He's a UKIP candidate. That just doesn't compute in my brain.

Then we've got Carmen Legarda. A Filipino migrant who is standing for the Green Party. That's not a problem at all, but her political write up on their website just reads like generalized fluffery. Nothing of substance.

Then we've got Mike Katz. Born in London and lived in London all his life by the looks of it. His chief concern seems to be antisemitism and giving a voice to the Jewish Labour Movement. 

Then Alasdair Hill for the Liberal Democrats. Staunch defender of public services, a teacher, and a scientist. He's slightly younger than I am, at 31.

Finally we've got Matthew Offord for the Conservatives. Voted for university tuition fees. Voted for the bedroom tax. Voted for fewer MP's in the commons. Voted against gay marriage. Voted against assisted suicide. Never voted for investigations into the Iraq war. Voted against EU nations having the right to remain. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23190
    capo4th said:
    There you have it folks let's got Johnny and the lunatic Scottish politicians to negotiate Brexit.

Sounds like a plan! 

I note that you're looking for a estate car. I'm not surprised. It must be close to impossible to fit all of your self-righteousness into a saloon. 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30203

I note that you're looking for a estate car. I'm not surprised. It must be close to impossible to fit all of your self-righteousness into a saloon. 

That's why I bought one too!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Looking at my local candidates. Our UKIP candidate is a guy called Sabriye Warsame who is a Somalian migrant who moved to the UK in 2000. He's a Muslim and has no white people on his Facebook friends list. He's a UKIP candidate. That just doesn't compute in my brain.

Why? UKIP aren't a white suprematists party. Their views on the EU and immigration are popular with some immigrants who suffer from competition for low paid jobs and housing.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Looking at my local candidates. Our UKIP candidate is a guy called Sabriye Warsame who is a Somalian migrant who moved to the UK in 2000. He's a Muslim and has no white people on his Facebook friends list. He's a UKIP candidate. That just doesn't compute in my brain.

Then we've got Carmen Legarda. A Filipino migrant who is standing for the Green Party. That's not a problem at all, but her political write up on their website just reads like generalized fluffery. Nothing of substance.

Then we've got Mike Katz. Born in London and lived in London all his life by the looks of it. His chief concern seems to be antisemitism and giving a voice to the Jewish Labour Movement. 

Then Alasdair Hill for the Liberal Democrats. Staunch defender of public services, a teacher, and a scientist. He's slightly younger than I am, at 31.

Finally we've got Matthew Offord for the Conservatives. Voted for university tuition fees. Voted for the bedroom tax. Voted for fewer MP's in the commons. Voted against gay marriage. Voted against assisted suicide. Never voted for investigations into the Iraq war. Voted against EU nations having the right to remain. 

On Sabriye... proper hilarious job. You voting Green would be like Emp being clothed in Kappa tracksuits. Hill I have no idea. Katz I'd only be against on the basis of him supporting Spurs. Offord: nay chance! Anyone who has followed Mrs Angry's blog on Barnet political matters for the last few years would do well to avoid the little shit.

• Drew_TNBD said:
    Looking at my local candidates. Our UKIP candidate is a guy called Sabriye Warsame who is a Somalian migrant who moved to the UK in 2000. He's a Muslim and has no white British people on his Facebook friends list. He's a UKIP candidate. That just doesn't compute in my brain.

Hmm. 

I know who I'd go for of those. 
    Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Why? UKIP aren't a white suprematists party. Their views on the EU and immigration are popular with some immigrants who suffer from competition for low paid jobs and housing.
    Merely that I don't think he's capable of representing a constituency which is majority white British when he can't even go down the pub and have a beer and a bacon sarnie with them!!
    Drew_TNBD said:

On Sabriye... proper hilarious job. You voting Green would be like Emp being clothed in Kappa tracksuits. Hill I have no idea. Katz I'd only be against on the basis of him supporting Spurs. Offord: nay chance! Anyone who has followed Mrs Angry's blog on Barnet political matters for the last few years would do well to avoid the little shit.

I'll look that blog up.

I'm thinking Lib Dems at this point.
    edited May 2017
    @Drew_TNBD ;;

http://wwwbrokenbarnet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/matthew-offord-mp-for-hendon-who-fck-is.html

http://wwwbrokenbarnet.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/return-of-invisible-man-dr-offord-and.html

Mrs A is a cracking lady who has done a huge amount to publicise some of the bullshit that has occurred with Barnet Council and helped me out with a few things regarding a council closer to home for me. 

Fretwired said:
    It'd be the ultimate irony, that the Johnny Foreigner vote is the most stable component of the UKIP voting public. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/who-will-win-general-election-2017-latest-polls-odds-tracker/

When you look at those dipping figures for the Greens, Libs, and UKIP, it's quite clear that we're on a two-horse competition. So after all the voting bombshells, it's back to two party politics. Retro voting, here we come. 

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    capo4th said:
    There you have it folks let's got Johnny and the lunatic Scottish politicians to negotiate Brexit.

Sounds like a plan! 

If that is what you took from my opinion then I am afraid to be the one to tell you that your reading and comprehension is somewhat lacking. May want to address that and if yout did have a private education you might want to get at least a partial refund.

But in the spirit of helping the word observe whose definition is easily looked up is fairly clear and then we add the word role to emphasise that it would be purely to observe and not meddle, you know to keep them honest.

There now that wasn't difficult now was it!?

We now have to add poor reading skills and woeful comprehension to your not so observational role as a Troll. Now off you fuck there's a good chap.

Also I meant to say (well it was late) that I would also advocate a similar setup  to observe the EU negotiators in case they behave badly, obstructively and in a petty fashion too.

I have no more faith in them than our shower to conduct themselves as they should in such an important set of negotiations.

Surely we could find and nominate observers from the various camps who have the integrity and gravitas to be useful checks and balances against excess from both sides of the table.

The Ken Clarke's of the political spectrum is my thinking.

The problem for me is Davis and Co are so much the slavering anti EU types they are in no way going to be objective as it is clear they want as sharp and hard a Brexit as is possible from their rhetoric. I genuinely think they   should be held to account if they behave in a Trumpy way  as in their reaction to the leak from the EU camp.

Similarly the Tusk types of the EU side of it need similar oversight from more moderate individuals.

But I do agree that it was not at all  defensible for them to leak stuff in the childish childish fashion they did.

The thing  for me was that May's andDavis at al reactions were like something from a Brass Eye parody though and frankly cringeworthy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25594
    edited May 2017
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Long way to go yet (anyone remember the "War of Jenifer's ear" ?), many's a wossname twixt cup and lip etc

Or that Kinnock's victory" party .... all together now "Thiiiings can only get betterrrrrr"

Agreed ... Corbyn may yet be sabotaged by the Blairites ...
    Or the vice chair of Stroud Labour .....
    http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/15303456.UPDATED__Stroud_Labour_vice_chairman_says_Manchester_Arena_terror_attack_is____wonderful_timing_for_Theresa_May___/

I hate this crap.  She was speaking the truth - in a clumsy way with very insensitive timing, but you can't tell me that both parties haven't already had meetings to formulate how to best use this tragedy to their political advantage.  Both will have already worked out plans of attack and defence, got their weapons chosen and their answers ready.  They're just waiting for the other side to make the first move.  Nobody wants to be seen to be the first to try to use the attack for their own political game, but they all know what a powerful weapon it is.  That silly woman just jumped the starting gun.  
    She was talking out of her arse - she should be kicked out of the Labour Party. As a politician you need to have empathy with ordinary people - she has shown she has none, and is only interested in furthering her party's interests.

May will have job spinning this given the cuts to the police and armed forces over the last 7 years.
    I dunno mate...  I'll admit I'm a cynical old grumpy bastard but the reason she is being attacked is not because of the veracity or otherwise of her statement but the fact that she has dared to link the attack with the election campaigns.  She may indeed have been talking bollocks about its effect on May's campaign, but I don't believe she was wrong to not shy away from the reality that both parties will be working out how to use it to their advantage.  Politics is a dirty game that wears the fake smile of innocence.  My cynicysm leans towards most MPs being machiavellian schemers who put the 'ordinary people' way down on their list of priorities - except for election time when they suddenly pretend they're the most important thing.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Emp_Fab said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Long way to go yet (anyone remember the "War of Jenifer's ear" ?), many's a wossname twixt cup and lip etc

Or that Kinnock's victory" party .... all together now "Thiiiings can only get betterrrrrr"

Agreed ... Corbyn may yet be sabotaged by the Blairites ...
    Or the vice chair of Stroud Labour .....
    http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/15303456.UPDATED__Stroud_Labour_vice_chairman_says_Manchester_Arena_terror_attack_is____wonderful_timing_for_Theresa_May___/

I hate this crap.  She was speaking the truth - in a clumsy way with very insensitive timing, but you can't tell me that both parties haven't already had meetings to formulate how to best use this tragedy to their political advantage.  Both will have already worked out plans of attack and defence, got their weapons chosen and their answers ready.  They're just waiting for the other side to make the first move.  Nobody wants to be seen to be the first to try to use the attack for their own political game, but they all know what a powerful weapon it is.  That silly woman just jumped the starting gun.  
    She was talking out of her arse - she should be kicked out of the Labour Party. As a politician you need to have empathy with ordinary people - she has shown she has none, and is only interested in furthering her party's interests.

May will have job spinning this given the cuts to the police and armed forces over the last 7 years.
    I dunno mate...  I'll admit I'm a cynical old grumpy bastard but the reason she is being attacked is not because of the veracity or otherwise of her statement but the fact that she has dared to link the attack with the election campaigns.  She may indeed have been talking bollocks about its effect on May's campaign, but I don't believe she was wrong to not shy away from the reality that both parties will be working out how to use it to their advantage.  Politics is a dirty game that wears the fake smile of innocence.  My cynicysm leans towards most MPs being machiavellian schemers who put the 'ordinary people' way down on their list of priorities - except for election time when they suddenly pretend they're the most important thing.
    Machiavellian politics aside, she is inferring that May orchestrated the bombing - that's way beyond what's acceptable in UK's punch & judy political knockabout.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25594
    edited May 2017
    Really ??  I didn't get that from it at all.  I think that people will see in it what they want to see.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited May 2017
    Me neither.

Gormlessly sackable insensitivity, but not an accusation of complicity.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Really ??  I didn't get that from it at all.
    Yeah I'm not quite seeing that either.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Emp_Fab said:
    Really ??  I didn't get that from it at all.
      No, you're right - anyway she's clearly been instructed to gobble down a huge turd sandwich in the update to the article.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Fretwired said:
    rocktron said:
    There may be many more obstacles lying in wait to present a stumbling block to Brexit. First and foremost, I think the Conservatives should be given a mandate to negotiate Brexit, without any obstruction. I cannot trust Labour, who would just hand over the UK to the EU. 

In two year's time, when we have come to the end of Brexit negotiations and have left the EU, I will delve deeper into party policies.

Snip

But, I am overlooking all of this with tactical voting. My priority for this election is Brexit, Come 2020, I will look at party policies again.

Is that because Dave and the conservatives have, thus far, negotiated really really well with the EU? 
    You don't negotiate with the EU. You ask nicely and hope Merkel says yes. Poor Mr Macron found this out when he went to Berlin.
    which is why all this talk about the UK approach to negotiation is pointless, it will be a Hard Breakfast, we will deal with it
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

which is why all this talk about the UK approach to negotiation is pointless, it will be a Hard Breakfast, we will deal with it
    I don't think so. Merkel won't want an independent UK so close to the EU with a low tax regime and the City of London outside her control. The EU is also short of cash. We'll get a deal - the question is whether we'll sign it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    It's rather naive to think that politicians, spin doctors, advisors etc won't look at how to manage the Manchester bombing to their adavantge over the coming weeks. Let's not forget the 'good day to bury bad news' incident, that's how Westminster works.