The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:

I'd vote for that if you add engineering to the no-tuition-fees list.
    +1 !
    I thought that might not take much convincing.

We could call it the Socially Just Worker's Party.
    Can we call it something sensible? What about the 'Crowdfunded Opinions Party' ?? :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    What's wrong with the City of London, the Tories backward economic policies that ignore tech and Labour's lack of business awareness can be summed up in what has just happened to a British company called Improbable, which was founded five years ago by two Cambridge graduates.

Improbable is developing a platform called SpatialOS that would enable third-party developers to create simulated and virtual worlds for use in games and massive-scale simulations of the real world. Mr Narula told The Times that the technology had already been used in video games, such as Worlds Adrift, which is set in a vast universe that is permanently changed by players’ actions. Government bodies in the UK had also expressed an interest in using it to manage and develop transport and power grid infrastructure by creating vast, realistic simulations of cities.

Improbable has received $502 million in a funding round led by the Japanese conglomerate Softbank. Existing investors in the company, Andreessen Horowitz, a Silicon Valley venture firm that backed Facebook, Twitter and Airbnb , and Horizons Ventures, from Hong Kong, are also putting up cash in a deal that puts an estimated value on the company of at least $1 billion.

Not a British investor in sight as they are risk averse. No interest from the City of London and no protection of innovative British companies by the government. The main UK office is in London, but there's also an office San Francisco. The money will be used to get more developers to develop the tech. I bet this heads to the US.

The deal comes less than a year after Softbank paid £24.3 billion for Arm, Britain’s largest technology company and a maker of chips that are used in almost every smartphone, tablet and wireless consumer device in the world. That deal was welcomed by the British government as a sign that Britain had lost “none of its allure” as a place to do business as a result of Brexit. The Tories don't get that selling your crown jewels to foreign investors over whom you have no control is no way to build an industrial strategy.

Rant over.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29056
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:

+1 !

Can we call it something sensible? What about the 'Crowdfunded Opinions Party' ?? :D
    I thought we'd get the comedy vote, but your idea is fine. Though "Cloudsourced" sounds more zeitgigm...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Sporky said:

+1 !

I thought we'd get the comedy vote, but your idea is fine. Though "Cloudsourced" sounds more zeitgigm...
    Brits don't like comedy. That's the entire basis of our comedy! lol.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Fretwired said:
    Yep - barn door target that is missed regularly
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited May 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Gassage said:
    I am totally politically homeless.
    Join the club!

I want a party who is going to stuff like this (and no, I haven't thought out all the details!):

- Make qualitative decisions on immigration
    - Bring corporations and banks to account and make them pay their way
    - Give small and medium sized businesses support in order to get industry back on track in this country
    - Whip our train services into shape so that they are consumer centric
    - Abolish or expand the scope of the Women and Equalities Committee to include men and non-binary people
    - Equalise domestic violence and rape laws and make them gender-neutral
    - Reverse some of the positive discrimination in the education system that has lead to a dearth of British working class boys going to college and university
    - Ban circumcision and enforce our laws on FGM severely
    - Invest in scientific advancements to cure our environment woes, rather than heavy taxation and demonisation of people
    - Make trade deals with non-European countries like Japan, India, Russia, and the USA, and truly lean into our globalised economy
    - Introduction of no-fault divorce laws and strengthen the requirements for restraining orders to prevent frivolous claims
    - Jail parents who withhold access to their children when there is no proven record of harm
    - Abolish tuition fees for core academic subjects like languages, mathematics, and science
    - Increase the number of male teachers in primary schools
    - Reform our NHS so that it remains a public service with less waste and less middle management
    - Destroy ISIS and other terror cells

Seriously.. if the Green party were gonna do even half of this, I'd vote for them.

I think the LibDems suggested this a few years ago, for subjects where we currently have a skills gap in the jobs market.

...or it could have been Ed Miliband...

...or David Miliband...

...or David Cassidy for all I know.

I clearly spend too many hours in the pub... 
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    "- Reform our NHS so that it remains a public service with less waste and less middle management"

Flippant gag material for sure, but that's the root cause of the problem, not money.  Whoever solves this gets my vote !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11415
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Gassage said:
    I am totally politically homeless.
    Join the club!

I want a party who is going to stuff like this (and no, I haven't thought out all the details!):

- Make qualitative decisions on immigration
    - Bring corporations and banks to account and make them pay their way
    - Give small and medium sized businesses support in order to get industry back on track in this country
    - Whip our train services into shape so that they are consumer centric
    - Abolish or expand the scope of the Women and Equalities Committee to include men and non-binary people
    - Equalise domestic violence and rape laws and make them gender-neutral
    - Reverse some of the positive discrimination in the education system that has lead to a dearth of British working class boys going to college and university
    - Ban circumcision and enforce our laws on FGM severely
    - Invest in scientific advancements to cure our environment woes, rather than heavy taxation and demonisation of people
    - Make trade deals with non-European countries like Japan, India, Russia, and the USA, and truly lean into our globalised economy
    - Introduction of no-fault divorce laws and strengthen the requirements for restraining orders to prevent frivolous claims
    - Jail parents who withhold access to their children when there is no proven record of harm
    - Abolish tuition fees for core academic subjects like languages, mathematics, and science
    - Reform our NHS so that it remains a public service with less waste and less middle management
    - Destroy ISIS and other terror cells

Seriously.. if the Green party were gonna do even half of this, I'd vote for them.

I think the LibDems suggested this a few years ago, for subjects where we currently have a skills gap in the jobs market.

...or it could have been Ed Miliband...

...or David Miliband...

...or David Cassidy for all I know.

I clearly spend too many hours in the pub... 
    How can you be sure?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

:-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Did I kill the thread by writing up my manifesto desires? lol. Shiiiiittt... guess I'll just drink this Doom Bar instead!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Engineering to no fees. It is already vastly subsidised. I'm paying 9 grand a year for daughter's sojourn at Bristol uni. For about 10 hours a week face time, 6 of those in rooms with 200 students so she can teach herself politics and French.  About 80% of that cash is not teaching daughter. If the UK was creating vast amounts of jobs in that field students would study it. An engineering degree looks much better value than liberal arts. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12077
      All Lower (1) or starting (2) "Savers" (3) Basic (4) Higher (5) Additional (6)
    Year taxpayers rate rate rate rate rate

1990-91 26,100 . . 24,400 1,700 .
    1991-92 25,700 . . 24,100 1,620 .
    1992-93 25,400 4,240 . 19,400 1,720 .
    1993-94 25,000 5,390 . 17,900 1,740 .
    1994-95 25,300 5,180 . 18,200 2,000 .
    1995-96 25,800 5,770 . 18,000 2,130 .
    1996-97 25,700 7,350 . 16,200 2,080 .
    1997-98 26,200 7,690 . 16,400 2,120 .
    1998-99 26,900 8,090 . 16,500 2,350 .
    1999-00 27,200 2,280 954 21,400 2,510 .
    2000-01 29,300 2,820 1,010 22,600 2,880 .
    2001-02 28,600 3,030 857 21,700 3,000 .
    2002-03 28,900 3,100 730 22,000 3,040 .
    2003-04  28,500 3,220 734 21,600 2,960 .
    2004-05 30,300 3,570 833 22,500 3,330 .
    2005-06 31,100 3,490 866 23,100 3,590 .
    2006-07 31,800 3,450 927 23,700 3,770 .
    2007-08  32,500 3,440 1,070 24,100 3,870 .
    2008-09 (a) * * * * * *
    2009-10 30,600 163 602 26,600 3,190 .
    2010-11 31,300 276 623 27,100 3,020 236
    2011-12 30,800 318 621 26,000 3,570 262
    2012-13 30,600 270 630 25,700 3,720 273
    2013-14  30,400 289 686 24,900 4,200 311
    2014-15 (8) 30,500 236 616 24,900 4,430 329
    2015-16 (8) 30,200 . 649 24,600 4,610 347
    2016-17 (8) 30,100 . 609 24,700 4,410 333

Interesting:
    this Government spreadsheet shows that only 1.7m were on higher rate tax in 1990
    Now it's 4.7m

What change in perspective is it that's brought higher rate taxes to people in quite ordinary jobs?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22547
    Drew_TNBD said:

So no positive discrimination on one hand but how would you get more men in primary schools without positive discrimination?

Drew_TNBD said:
    Did I kill the thread by writing up my manifesto desires? lol. Shiiiiittt... guess I'll just drink this Doom Bar instead!
    I thought you were more into sludge than doom?
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4690
    Drew_TNBD said:

So no positive discrimination on one hand but how would you get more men in primary schools without positive discrimination?
    We can blame the press for the lack of male applicants to become school teachers. I.E. you must be a pedophile if your male and want to teach young children 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

In the bit you've quoted he does say "reverse some", not "remove all".

I'd like to add tax breaks (for employees and employers) for allowing working from home. Not huge ones, but enough to reduce traffic a bit.
    Drew_TNBD said:

We can blame the press for the lack of male applicants to become school teachers. I.E. you must be a pedophile if your male and want to teach young children 
    My local primary school is rated Ofsted outstanding. The previous head was well liked by parents and children and was responsible for the schools performance. She had some odd ideas though - no male teachers. She felt it was not right to have male teachers in a primary school. She has since retired and has been replaced by another female head. I'm not sure about her views but there is now one male teacher.

The power of pupils is putting many men off as if a child accuses a teacher they are suspended and even if no action is taken it remains on your record. It's a problem in the US. There was a US YouTube video on how to get your teacher sacked.

Drew_TNBD said:

No idea. Maybe awareness exercises rather than full on 'we are only interested in x' style approaches.
    Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

In the bit you've quoted he does say "reverse some", not "remove all".

I'd like to add tax breaks (for employees and employers) for allowing working from home. Not huge ones, but enough to reduce traffic a bit.
    True. But Drew and I have debated long enough to know what he's getting at :)

If that were the case, it hasn't translated into a drop in male sports coaches despite numerous scandals. So blaming the press for a lack of male teachers is an assertion with zero backing to my mind.