The Captain meets John Petrucci...

What's Hot
simonksimonk Frets: 1467
It's a long vid but most enjoyable and well worth a watch.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Just watching it now and it's great.  It's good to see him running through his gear and talking about EQ and stuff like that.  These Andertons "Captain Meets" videos are pretty good to be honest.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Just watching it now and it's great.  It's good to see him running through his gear and talking about EQ and stuff like that.  These Andertons "Captain Meets" videos are pretty good to be honest.  
    Conceptually yes - but I personally can't stand Petrucci's playing or Dream Theatre's music - each to their own, of course. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Voxman said:
    Conceptually yes - but I personally can't stand Petrucci's playing or Dream Theatre's music - each to their own, of course. 
    I wouldn't regard myself as a particular Dream Theatre fan... you can't deny the chap can play though and he comes across as very likeable in the video and certainly knows his gear.
    Perhaps you'd be better off watching something else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Agreed - I think Lee Anderton has really come on as an interviewer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:

I did like Petrucci around Images and Words and Awake but then lost interest.  For me, it's good to watch him and see his latest gear.  

simonk said:

Yes he has, his interviews are more serious and there are less stupid jokes and puns, plus they always get big names - Paul Gilbert, Ian Thornley, John Petrucci etc.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7581
    simonk said:
    I was actually for a moment thinking that he should be given a go presenting on one of those BBC 4 music documentaries during that interview. He really is good at this sort of stuff
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    I've had it on whilst preparing the tea, although it's very long and my cooking isn't that fancy so I haven't got through all of it.
    Yep, also a bit of a Dreamtheater naysayer here but Lee does an okay interview and John comes across as a likeable, interesting guy (see, Paul Reed Smith this is possible!). I liked the bit with the hand cream (?) and the guitar body shaping. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Not a fan of DT but I do enjoy Liquid Tension Experiment. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    I love the Damned - he's one of my favourite guiatrists and think he'd make a great interviewer. I'll watch it later, can't wait!!!!! :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14264
    edited May 2017
    But he doesn't play blues on a Strat, Tele or Les Paul? Who is this guy?

Seriously, I found his playing and tones completely abhorrent

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Away from Chappers he actually sounds like an adult.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Away from Chappers he actually sounds like an adult.
    Wis'd.  I think this is the direction Andertons channel is moving in and I have actually subscribed to it now.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I was a big DT fanboy for many years but faded off about 11 years ago. Saw them live a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome, Petrucci was superb. 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    But he doesn't play blues on a Strat, Tele or Les Paul? Who is this guy?

Seriously, I found his playing and tones completely abhorrent
    Bless you. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    There are a few gems (BCASL) but I'm pretty much left a bit cold by anything DT since Jordan joined. 

John comes across as genuine guitar fan, and a nice guy to boot. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    I haven't watched this one (yet). Although I can't stand the stuff with Chappers, 'the Captain meets' is much better. However. I disagree that he is a good interviewer. 

To me it is too poorly researched, and he spends far too much time filling us in on his opinions of the player or their style. A perfect example of this is the Paul Gilbert one (and the Guthrie Govan one).

He comes across as a decent bloke, and fair play to him for jamming with GG - That must have been nerve wracking. but really I want to hear more from the artist themselves and more playing.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098

...but really I want to hear more from the artist themselves and more playing.
    This one's nearly two hours long. I think you'll be fine.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4903
    Skimmed through it.  He seems like an nice, intelligent bloke with some great ideas.  Never seen him before so I know nothing.  Most impressed.

Have to say though, that the first few seconds playing made me think of Genesis..............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    I got bored of this one about 15 mins in. I know hes not a professional presenter/interviewer but he just seems to wing it with the questions a lot of the time. It made this one a bit hard to be interested in,
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    simonk said:
    If Lee could stop interrupting himself whilst asking his question he would flow a bit better - but otherwise I'd agree, by far the best of the Anderton's output and most of the interviewees really engage. 

Not a dream theater fan at all But listening to guys who have been there and done it, talk about what makes them tick is a joy. Like Guthrie Govan, a highly engaging chap who clearly loves his guitar.