Any fans of Sci-fi films here?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
Wow, just wow. We live in AMAZING times for sci-fi. The quality of the movies these days is just incredible. For years now CGI has been honing and improving, but instead of marvelling at superb bits of CGI in a film we are now totally immersed in an incredible and REAL world of atmosphere. I've been looking at some trailers for upcoming films (Bladerunner, Star trek etc) and the whole mood and feel are marvellous. Everything has moved on so much since we were all amazed by Terminator 2.

I feel so fortunate to be living in this time, when Sci-fi films are SOOOOOOOO good.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I'd go further than that, it's television too, the quality of shows on NetFlix, Amazon Prime and terrestrial TV has definitely improved, writing has improved. Recently I've watched shows like Stranger Things, Mr Robot and Preacher and absolutely loved every one. I guess it's easier now than ever to fully realise the ambitions of a project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 507
    edited May 2017
    I disagree,  i feel the quality of the sci fi isnt as good as the 80s and 90s. Certainly the look of modern sci-fi is quite good but often find the plot and ideas of the films quite lacking.

When i think of great sci fi I think 2001, Alien, The thing, Blade Runner, Terminator, Star Wars....

I havent seen a sci fi film in the last decade I would put up against those.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Sorry to be grumpy but I don't like much new sci-fi. To me it's all glossy overblown CGI that has little real effect, as far as the story goes.

I'm really not looking forward to the new Bladerunner. The original was one of the Great Films to me... but going by Hollywood these days, the new one might turn out to be just the usual shallow nonsense.  (I'm not 100% against though, they might do this one properly I suppose...)

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

When i think of great sci fi I think 2001, Alien, The thing, Blade Runner, Terminator, Star Wars....

Interstellar, The Martian and Moon all jump immediately to mind as excellent sci-fi movies which are almost universally liked. All of them are much, much more than visual effects. Personally I really liked Sunshine as well but that one seems a bit divisive. There are plenty of modern movies that are turkeys (as with 80s/90s movies) but I think, as works of cinema, the best stand alongside the old ones coloured by nostalgia, if not in front.

Do the Marvel movies count as sci-fi? They have space in them. The first Iron Man was pretty amazing, ditto the first Avengers. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are definitely sci-fi and much loved.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    Big sci fi film fan here. I disagree with @Niallseroreilly about recent films not being comparible to those great movies he mentions. Arrival is one of the finest sc fi films I've ever seen.. just stunning.
    The Expanse TV series is another fine example, albeit not a film.
    Other films like Sunshine, Ex-Machina, Inception, Gravity really do stand shoulder to shoulder with those earlier classics.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Ravenous said:

Sorry to be grumpy but I don't like much new sci-fi. To me it's all glossy overblown CGI that has little real effect, as far as the story goes.

I'm really not looking forward to the new Bladerunner. The original was one of the Great Films to me... but going by Hollywood these days, the new one might turn out to be just the usual shallow nonsense.  (I'm not 100% against though, they might do this one properly I suppose...)

Some are overblown CGI messes yes but there's been shite movies released in every era. Kinda reminds me of the 'why was music better in the [Insert decade]' argument where really it's only the good stuff that still gets airplay and recognition and the crap has been archived and forgotten. Ignoring crap like Transformers, Battleship etc. there have been some really superb Sci-Fi in the last 10 years .. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ex Machina, Interstellar, Monsters, Looper, Dredd, District 9, Edge of Tomorrow, Sunshine etc
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    equalsql said:
    Big sci fi film fan here. I disagree with @Niallseroreilly about recent films not being comparible to those great movies he mentions. Arrival is one of the finest sc fi films I've ever seen.. just stunning.
    The Expanse TV series is another fine example, albeit not a film.
    Other films like Sunshine, Ex-Machina, Inception, Gravity really do stand shoulder to shoulder with those earlier classics.

I will concede I was disappointed with Gravity, amazing visual but the story was a bit of a mess. It became laughable as every new misfortune fell her!
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

On the subject of modern sci-fi I saw Jupiter Ascending a few days ago. Good cast (Mila Kunis, Eddie Redmayne, Channing Tatum, Sean Bean...) and great writer/directors (Wachowskis...I love Sense8) come together to create a steaming pile of expensive, childish horseshit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 238
    I like most of the modern film, but I do find alot of 50's B sci fi movies really good to watch. Even the b/w ones. Maybe I'm just weird? Or an alien. Who cares!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the expanse really liked it although i felt it was let down by its budget, it looked cheap in some places.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    I agree that the best stuff is on NetFlix/Amazon these days - Expanse, Mr Robot, Preacher, Man In The High Castle etc

Rogue One - was the best Star Wars film since the originals IMHO (better IMNSHO as it wasn't as focussed on the kiddy audience)

Agree on Arrival, simply brilliant !  (Gravity was a bit of a chick flick tbh, though a 3D Sandra Bullock in her scanties is still a great cinematic experience ;) )

I am looking forward to new Blade Runner (yet to catch up with Alien Covenant, but it's on the list)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Luc Besson film Valerian, it's a showcase for what you can do with CGI. 

Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13674
    I disagree,  i feel the quality of the sci fi isnt as good as the 80s and 90s. Certainly the look of modern sci-fi is quite good but often find the plot and ideas of the films quite lacking.

Taking nostalgia out of it for a second I'd say the following 21st  sci-fi films were basically as good as any of the above: -

Interstellar, Inception, Arrival, Looper, Gravity, Under The Skin, Children Of Men, Moon, Serenity, new Planet of The Apes movies, both Guardians of the Galaxy films.

The new Star Wars films cant match the impact of the original but are decent sci-fi movies in their own right, considering they have now run to 14 movies the consistent quality of the Marvel movies is exceptional.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

I'd like to add Moon and District 9 and Wall-E as some decent scifi films in the last decade.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

Interstellar, The Martian and Moon all jump immediately to mind as excellent sci-fi movies which are almost universally liked. All of them are much, much more than visual effects. Personally I really liked Sunshine as well but that one seems a bit divisive. There are plenty of modern movies that are turkeys (as with 80s/90s movies) but I think, as works of cinema, the best stand alongside the old ones coloured by nostalgia, if not in front.

Do the Marvel movies count as sci-fi? They have space in them. The first Iron Man was pretty amazing, ditto the first Avengers. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies are definitely sci-fi and much loved.

Marvel counts. Arrival was good. Mad Max Fury Road was stunning... And let's not forget The Matrix

zepp76 said:
    I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Luc Besson film Valerian, it's a showcase for what you can do with CGI. 

From what I understand Fifth Element was born of the fact that he couldn't make Valerian with the film tech of the day... So this could be a visually stunning and totally weird film which I'm definitely looking forward to. 

While it's easy to pick films from multiple decades to say sci-fi was better there have been good films, in the same way that stinkers were around in the 70s 80s and 90s Mystery Science Theatre 3000 would not have had nearly enough material otherwise. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Always like Luc Besson's films - without fail - I loved Fifth Element (despite Gary Oldman's scenery chewing)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3591
    edited May 2017
    Primer is my favourite of modern Sci-Fi films.  His other film Upstream Colour is completely bonkers. 

Some decent ones mentioned above, I really liked Moon.  Time Lapse & Timecrimes are excellent films. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

(No significant spoilers.)

Interstellar was a bit disappointing to me. The plot of the first half was excellent, so were the effects (largely non-CGI apparently).  But in the second half, the Hollywood-style action bit when they had to save the Station by quickly docking with it while spinning was just stupid. Why did it start descending into the stratosphere? (Apart from a fake plot thing to hurry up the action.)

So to me that film has to be - half brilliant, half pants. I don't usually do the Armchair Director thing, but in this case I was really annoyed the filmmakers threw it all away in the second half.

• I disagree,  i feel the quality of the sci fi isnt as good as the 80s and 90s. Certainly the look of modern sci-fi is quite good but often find the plot and ideas of the films quite lacking.

Taking nostalgia out of it for a second I'd say the following 21st  sci-fi films were basically as good as any of the above: -

Interstellar, Inception, Arrival, Looper, Gravity, Under The Skin, Children Of Men, Moon, Serenity, new Planet of The Apes movies, both Guardians of the Galaxy films.

The new Star Wars films cant match the impact of the original but are decent sci-fi movies in their own right, considering they have now run to 14 movies the consistent quality of the Marvel movies is exceptional.
    Guardians of the Galaxy and Blade Runner. Ive heard it all now...

But here to each is his own...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Primer is my favourite of modern Sci-Fi films.  

Agreed! One of my favourites too.

Loads of great ones mentioned. The only one that's come to mind that hasn't been mentioned is 'Attack The Block'. Not exactly in Blade Runner territory but a good watch if you haven't seen it. Less so, World's End and Paul (both Simon Pegg).

There are a ton of 50s/60s/70s B-movies that were made very watchable by being the film in Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - although I think I'm stretching the definition here.