Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17458
    I really liked Lucy.  Mainly for the visuals
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8057
    For anyone that thinks Prometheus  is a good movie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3591
    Mad Max normally a fan of Tom Hardy but had he even seen any originals???
    Mad Max - Fury Road isn't a remake, if anything it is a sequel.  

It was directed by the guy who directed the first Mad Max film. 
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Snowpiercer is a worthy addition to the canon.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3591
    celentium said:
    The director of Snowpiercer made a film called 'The Host' which is a huge amount of fun.  One of the better monster films of recent times. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    No mention for Avatar - does that not count as "sci-fi"?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25492
    Jalapeno said:
    Anyone that makes a list that includes "Lucy" and "Prometheus" as examples of good films has no credibility.
    Bugger off. I loved Prometheus (would concur that it's not an Alien film though, and very badly edited for cinema release - key scenes are missing)
    Key scenes are missing and it was badly edited = shit film.

A new cut might be a better film. If they ever release it. Until that point it remains shit.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    celentium said:
    The director of Snowpiercer made a film called 'The Host' which is a huge amount of fun.  One of the better monster films of recent times. 
    I agree, The Host is most excellent fun. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    First off, I loved Prometheus. Just because it's apparently badly edited and/or key scenes are missing doesn't mean to say it's a shit film. I'm also struggling to understand how a story about the search for the origin of man and mankind's obsession for answers, ones which we may not want to find out, with a futuristic backdrop is an annoying story. At least that's what I got out of the film.

Another fan of Primer here, which has already been mentioned.  Proper trippy.  Made me think, what the fuck?!  I also loved Gravity.  I like the idea that Earth became the strange place to be with the undertone of feeling fortunate to have it.

Films that haven't been mentioned.  Strange Days is one of my favourites as Another Earth.  Both very thought provoking for different reasons.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Nitefly said:
    No mention for Avatar - does that not count as "sci-fi"?

Sci-fi, absolutely.

Good? Absolutely not!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Hoof said:
    Prometheus is still the 3rd best Alien film.
    I'd say covenant is better... and it's not great. But Alien 3* is definitely better than Prometheus ...

Arguable I'd say that Alien 3 is a better sequel than Aliens because both 3 and Alien are suspenseful horrors, with Aliens being an action-sci-fi-war film with the same antagonist and protagonist as the other two, but virtually no element of horror (you could replace all the aliens with enemy soldiers and most scenes would be the same)... as such Resurrection is a suitable sequel to Aliens as it too is a sci-fi heavy action flick rather than a horror.

Now as individual films on their own merit, sure, Aliens is better than 3 ... the above paragraph is merely comparing the types of movies and so their suitability as sequels. Alien was all about the tension, the fear, the who-will-die-next-and-how-factor, the alien is rarely shown... 3 had that in spades... Aliens had gung-ho marines doing the shooty shoots against aliens we see a lot of (and why? Weyland Utani definitely want specimens for bio-weapons ... why send shooty marines?) lots of big explosions, gun fights and a punch-up with a queen, it's certainly spectacular and flashy, but the other too are not, they're dark and foreboding, creepy and insidious. Alien and 3 have elements of that primal-fear-of-the-dark that dwells in our animal brain, where any shadow can be our foe (3 even has Ripley smash a pipe that looks a lot like the aliens head only to find it behind her!) proper examples of how a film can be scary rather than the current standard of quiet-quiet-LOUD-NOISES-jumpscare we are subjected to in every film now that wants to call itself horror... Aliens, on the otherhand had exploding drop ships, and gunfights in areas that a simple 30 second explanation would have prevented...

That's partly why Covenant disappointing - the music cues are all Alien, the prologue released a few months ago was very suggestive of Alien similarities ... then the actual film was more Aliens spectacular explosions and gun fights, than it was about trying to run away from a thing that's stalking them from the darkness.

*specifically the Directors Cut that wasn't so butchered by the studio
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned Dark Star yet.

Bringing us up to date a tad, I know it got panned but I really likes Enders Game a few years ago.  No where near as good as the book but visually very good.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4374
    Westworld
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106

Then no excuse. It was a pile of poo. 

He brought none of the 'decent into madness' that Gibson had. 

In a way its visually stunning film, but honestly if they hadn't just left out Hardy completely from all scenes it would be no less of a film.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

In a way its visually stunning film, but honestly if they hadn't just left out Hardy completely from all scenes it would be no less of a film.

He wasn't meant to - he already is mad, auditory and visual hallucinations of people who he's lost or killed or failed... Gibson's Road Warrior was the beginning of the plot arc. Hardy is already damaged goods - doesn't want attachments, so refuses at first to even talk to anyone
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited May 2017

Bringing us up to date a tad, I know it got panned but I really likes Enders Game a few years ago.  No where near as good as the book but visually very good.

I liked that movie too but a classic it isn't. Visually it was fantastic and I think the ending was done quiet well but they rushed the character development particularly earlier in the movie, it didn't quiet work.
    eSully said:

I liked that movie too but a classic it isn't. Visually it was fantastic and I think the ending was done quiet well but they rushed the character development particularly earlier in the movie, it didn't quiet work.
    I think the visual fidelity of the movie compared to what the author would have known of computers meant the "twist" didn't work... one of the few super future sci-fi that could do with worse CGI to make it better...

in the book it's assumed that big red block moves to big blue block and wins fight... in the movie everything looks so realistic that it doesn't seem possible to be a simulation, so when it turns out it's not a simulation the whole shock impact is completely lost
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8057

You're wrong. All the time. 
    Haha
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    edited May 2017
    Dark City is another one worth mentioning.

Mad Max Fury Road is awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom