Wired vs Wireless mouse - what are you using?

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    I'm also with a wired keyboard (although I need to get a new one) and wireless mouse. The new rechargeable Apple mouse is great, just recharge with an iPhone cable about once a week. The older AA powered one wasn't that good withe rechargeables or alkalines, which is why I won't buy a wireless keyboard. Why does a keyboard need to be wireless, it never strays from its position on my desk. 

What I like about the Apple mouse is it also works as a mini trackpad for scrolling in 4 directions etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I have a few wireless mice but only for casual use. For my main workstation, you'd have to prise  my wired Microsoft Intellimouse Optical from my cold dead fingers along with my Filco mechanical keyboard with Cherry Brown switches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29116
    Only downside of Cherry Browns is that they're so damned quiet. It's just not the same.

Well, also I found they felt too light without o-rings.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I loved my Model M but my wife and I have a joint office ant she couldn't stand the clicking. I reluctantly swapped it for a keyboard with Brown's and I have learned to love it. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33947
    I've had a Logitech MX Revolution since they came out.
    They are stonking.

Put a rechargeable AA battery in there and charge it from USB when it runs down.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    5 iMacs with wireless mice at work. A bit annoying, batteries running out. I bought some wired keyboards to save on batteries. I prefer wired stuff, less hassle. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    On my gaming PC I have a Roccat Kone XTD Optical (and a Kone XTD).

I would have a R.A.T Pro X+ ... but Mad Catz went and went bankrupt :(
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    Apple Magic Mouse on my desktop / in my classroom

I'm a big fan Better Touch Tool - an app that lets you design custom gestures for you mouse or trackpad

For the Magic Mouse I bought a battery pack that charges wirelessly, no fucking about with batteries
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    octatonic said:
    They are stonking.

Put a rechargeable AA battery in there and charge it from USB when it runs down.
    @octatonic ;

The thumb wheel for side scroll looks cool, do you find it useful in practice? It looks like that version may be discontinued and in later versions they changed the orientation of the thumb wheel from horizontal to vertical. I do a huge amount of side scrolling in Logic etc, not always with mouse + shift, often using key commands, but a dedicated scroll wheel seems very cool.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Anybody tried one of those wireless mice where the pad plugs in to your computer?

My V key is broken
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33947
    octatonic said:
    They are stonking.

@octatonic ;

The thumb wheel for side scroll looks cool, do you find it useful in practice? It looks like that version may be discontinued and in later versions they changed the orientation of the thumb wheel from horizontal to vertical. I do a huge amount of side scrolling in Logic etc, not always with mouse + shift, often using key commands, but a dedicated scroll wheel seems very cool.

Yes I do- I use it in Logic change zoom levels.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Wired all the way - an old intellimouse 5 button - great device.
    Wired is less stress on the hand if you are prone to wrist and arm pain - the mouses are lighter without a battery and the forces involved in wizzing it around are reduced a lot.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Wireless keyboard and mouse. It's easy to put them to one side and pull my midi keyboard out instead. Plus less wires = better
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    switched back to wired from wireless and no lag now... hate the lag...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    switched back to wired from wireless and no lag now... hate the lag…
    Is there a lag? I don't notice one. It seems extremely responsive, if anything more so than the previous wired one I had.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 29116
    Some of the older ones had perceptible lag, especially if you were gaming. Newer ones don't (as far as I've ever been able to tell).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I bought the Microsoft Wireless 900 because it is a big mouse.
    But the wireless response is not quite right. It is maybe 95% good enough but that is annoying.
    I am told that Logitech wireless is perfect but I cannot find the right Logitech mouse for me.

It sounds ridiculous (because it is ridiculous) but I am currently stuck with my old Wheelmouse Optical. I have the wheel button middle click programmed to double click and therefore rely heavily on the wheel button click which is so light it barely exists. Cannot find a (largish) mouse with a super light middle click.
    I thought the Steelseries Rival 100 (less than £20 on Amazon) would be a good bet. It is the right size, the shape is right, but the middle click is not light enough.

I will have to go into a shop. Just imagine that. A shop. Which will probably be full of sealed impenetrable boxes.

First world problems.
    LOL

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I use wired, been using a corsair raptor m30 for 2 and a bit years. 
  • octatonic said:
    They are stonking.

@octatonic ;

Oh my god that would change my life in Photoshop
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Yeah the MX looks the most promising so far as an upgrade from a standard mouse.

I don't game anymore, I have owned a Razer mouse in the past which was amazing but that kind of sharpness to the response isn't necessary for me now