K-Line Guitars

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Anyone tried K-Line guitars available at Coda? They look the business on the web site, although seem a bit pricey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited February 2014
    Not cheap..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    one word

why ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957

I tried (and bought) a K-Line tele from Coda. It's a lovely guitar, nice chunky neck, aged but not relic'd, cheaper and better sounding (IMHO) than the Fender CS equivalent. The Fender CS's were either really shiny or cheesy relics. I'm really pleased with it. It's light, resonant and it sounds great. I'm probably going to swap my SC strat for a K-line sometime this year.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    Shame they don't have any of the offsets.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3852
    bertie;161866" said:
    one word

why ?
    Why what?

• DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    More offsets due in 4-6 weeks with quite a few other models...
    Loobs said:
    bertie;161866" said:
    one word

why ?
    Why what?

yet another company offering the same old thing  *yawn*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    Loobs said:
    bertie;161866" said:
    one word

why ?
    Why what?

yet another company offering the same old thing  *yawn*
    Kind of agree.  They've also fixed the neck angle for better tone and intonation. 

Because the intonation on plain, flat heeled necks was bad? 

If they fixed the neck angle on the Jazzmaster, now, that's a different story. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited February 2014
    bertie said:
    one word

why ?

I agree. But in addition to "yet another company offering the same old thing  *yawn*", I would add the following :

The price is quite close to a Fender, thus when considering depreciation, the Fender will be the better option for someone seeking this type of instrument.  However, if your heart rules your head, then hang on for a used K-Line and save around £1k.

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    So easy to be critical.   Until you do it yourself of course.

Chris builds great guitars, works hard and strikes me as the sort of guy who deserves support and admiration rather than criticism.

Good luck to him.   His success is well deserved and based firmly on building what people actually buy.   

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    DamianP said:
      Until you do it yourself of course.

what a silly comment,  does the same apply to making comments on cars or washing machines or bedroom furniture ??

All Im saying is - as a "customer" not a "fellow builder"  -   this has been done 101 times before  by equally hard and good workers Im sure.   Good luck to the bloke, but he's just another on the list to me Im afraid

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • There are indeed many companies doing something similar... suhr, Anderson,lsl, Tyler etc  and you'll take a similar hit on them when selling them on. You'll take a pretty big hit on a PRS too. So I say try one and try to get a good deal on it if you want it.
    I find the offsets quite tempting, played one, thought it was excellent and a grand cheaper than a fender custom shop equivalent and you can't get a custom shop model with P90s or humbuckers. If you can find one for £800 please let me know, the only ones I've come across have been about £1100-1200 and not offsets..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • are these hand made, or are they licensed parts put together like nash ?
  • darcym said:
    are these hand made, or are they licensed parts put together like nash ?
    If they've genuinely altered the neck angle (not necessary on a strat or tele) then they are, at the very least, tampered with rather than just assembled, which presumably requires some skills.   

I've no idea why they'd fiddle the neck angle though - it's just not needed, though some offset designs could benefit from it. Moreover, if they are hand crafted, they could do something a bit different a la wirebird guitars, rather than just 'another' relic copy. 

@darcym, check these badboys out :) http://www.wirebirdguitars.com/ it's a guy in London I think, and he has  basically taken the usual designs, offers them in custom woods and stuff, but he's contoured them, made them slimmer, has his own unique bridge design etc.  So it's kinda cool - it's a Tele, but not as you know it.  

I've actually spoken to the guy with the blue tele from The Safety Fire and his guitar is wonderful - it's slimmer than a regular tele, very resonant and light.  He's dead chuffed, I've seen him gig it several times now.  
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Two words

Why not? 
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited February 2014
    Guitarse said:
    Two words

Why not? 
    It's been done.

Not just once or twice, but like... Quite a lot.  

I mean, if you're in the market for a relic F type guitar, you're not going to have to look hard.

Seriously, google "Custom relic guitar" and scroll, and... Just keep scrolling.  

Nout wrong with that, but... I don't know.  Why bother?  If they have the skills, surely they could try something just a wee bit different?
  • limpymcgintylimpymcginty Frets: 14
    edited February 2014
    From what I understand the body's and necks are built from scratch and the guitars built by one guy ....no licensed body's and necks...pickups seem to be top notch too..I like what he's doing.it's an alternative to what's out there and top quality too, it's a niche market mind and not to everybody's taste but we're all different
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    People don't buy/purchase/hand over the notes for 'differently' enough tho do they? I mean, seen many Parker Fly's being 'rocked out' recently? Me neither.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair..in my mind at least...,no one looks cool with a Parker fly..you can pull off a few styles with an offset...
  • horsehorse Frets: 1593
    Lodious said:

I tried (and bought) a K-Line tele from Coda. It's a lovely guitar, nice chunky neck, aged but not relic'd, cheaper and better sounding (IMHO) than the Fender CS equivalent. The Fender CS's were either really shiny or cheesy relics. I'm really pleased with it. It's light, resonant and it sounds great. I'm probably going to swap my SC strat for a K-line sometime this year.

Image doesn't seem to have worked, but would be great to see it.