Nominations for the next "Flavour of The Month" amplifier manufacturer ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
Go to the gear page and read many posts singing the praises of the latest fotm amp manufacturer only to see the classifieds flooded with said fotm amps when a new fotm amp is released. 

Who is going to carry the fotm mantle currently in Friedman arsonry and become the next fotm amp for forumites on a global basis ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Whichever new amp builder that Coda begins stocking in the autumn?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    I was hoping Milkman just so I could get some more puns in....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    But you bottled it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jokes aside, Milkman is probably a decent shout. 
  • Whatever new manufacturer pgs demos. :) 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    This month's answer to all questions has been Boss Katana.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    WEM. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Milkman looks a decent proposition, whichever brand it turns out to be just watch all the Friedman's appear in the classifieds, especially at the gear page.
  • It's going to be something aimed at music styles generally recorded before 2000.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    edited August 2017
    It's going to be something aimed at music styles generally recorded before 2000.
    You're being generous. I'd have gone for 1980.

Although having said that, there's a sort of rolling "midlife crisis wish fulfilment" thing with expensive guitar gear. As each generation reaches that stage in life where expensive toys come to the top of the "to-buy" pile, a market arises for the gear their guitar heroes used- first it was the Hank Marvin shit, then the Hendrix/Clapton stuff, then the Gilmour stuff, now it's modded Marshalls for that Van Halen/hair metal sound.

Give it a few more years and someone will be making the boutique version of Kurt Cobain's Boogie preamp / Crown poweramp stage amp.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Quilter Aviator or Session Blues Baby.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

It's going to be something aimed at music styles generally recorded before 2000.
    You're being generous. I'd have gone for 1980.

Although having said that, there's a sort of rolling "midlife crisis wish fulfilment" thing with expensive guitar gear. As each generation reaches that stage in life where expensive toys come to the top of the "to-buy" pile, a market arises for the gear their guitar heroes used- first it was the Hank Marvin shit, then the Hendrix/Clapton stuff, then the Gilmour stuff, now it's modded Marshalls for that Van Halen/hair metal sound. 

So much wisdom. 
  • I always loved 'ugly', but they never appear on ebay.....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12360

Give it a few more years and someone will be making the boutique version of Kurt Cobain's Boogie preamp / Crown poweramp stage amp.
    Wiz - correct!

These days it's just great to make the toy every kid wants, but if you made enough that every kid could have them, they would be too cheap to be worth bothering with.

But sell things to wealthy boomers?  Guitar and amp manufacturers have nothing on the people who make cars!  

"Hey, successful?  Middle aged? Far more money than you know what to do with because we are f**king over our own kids so we don't have to pay any of the money we don't need out in tax or fair wages?  HAVE WE GOT THE PRODUCT FOR YOU!!!"

I love guitars but it seems to be one of the few industries where people don't acknowledge how much better a modern product should/can be, given modern production methods.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    @darthed1981 I am not sure that people don't accept that a modern product is better than an old one. Take Lazy J, they have a huge amount of respect. I think it's the chasing of old sounds but then why wouldn't we because modern music is rubbish (sarcasm).
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12360
    shaunm said:
    @darthed1981 I am not sure that people don't accept that a modern product is better than an old one. Take Lazy J, they have a huge amount of respect. I think it's the chasing of old sounds but then why wouldn't we because modern music is rubbish (sarcasm).
    I was thinking mostly in the context of the flavour of the month boutique amps or the other thread on the historic custom gibsons, rather than generally.

You are quite right of course and the Katana up thread is a superb example of modern technology bringing quality to lower price points.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 224
    merlin said:
    WEM. 
    I'm surprised someone hasn't bought the name and used it for something underwhelmingly generic yet...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    Benson Amps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Do you get 10p deposit back if you return the valves when they've blown?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3347
    edited August 2017
    Supros? Mark Letteri of Snarky Puppy is using them and there's a couple of demos around and they sound good and prices are reasonable, too