Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

eBay getting hot on dealing outside

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    And...I got my first eBay smacked wrist today, too...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    And...I got my first eBay smacked wrist today, too...
    I thought you only used car-boot sales.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    As a personal seller I feel the fees are a little on the high side, but I do use them.  You can't really blame ebay for cracking down, because their business model depends on these fees.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have had many successful sales and purchases on eBay but I now feel it is a last resort.  I did have a few sales where I mentioned a parallel REVERB listing and the sale completed through REVERB because I had listed at a better price.
    I will only go to eBay now if I feel other routes are exhausted.
    I feel the fees are high for private sales but agree to pay them when I list.  
    Time for someone to come up with a new app to disrupt eBay's model.  They probably realise that their current market dominance may be short lived and have to squeeze their intellectual capital before they become like myspace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    So some follow on...

I sold something today, and now I find that because of my suspension, I'm re-enrolled in the 90 day funds availability programme, which basically means PayPal hold the funds until the buyer confirms good receipt.

I have an immaculate selling history, and have sold items worth much more than the one I've just sold, and because of a suspension they seem to now completely disregard all the good deals I have done before.

I wanna give someone there a slap.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Thread resurrection! :)

Well...only because I've joined a few other Fretboarders on the 7-Day eBay Naughty Step.

Gosh...I feel so chastened...not.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971

I've joined a few other Fretboarders on the 7-Day eBay Naughty Step.

eBay profits warning must be next ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100

Thread resurrection! :)

Well...only because I've joined a few other Fretboarders on the 7-Day eBay Naughty Step.

Ooops...join the club....mine was a few weeks ago selling one of your amps!....so I guess its your fault really ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:

Thread resurrection! :)

Ooops...join the club....mine was a few weeks ago selling one of your amps!....so I guess its your fault really ;-)

Lol! :)

• I had a seven day ban too. 

A bit nervous as today someone managed to send me a phone number after I enquired about something.

Looks like they investigate, but only if you remove a listing when selling. 

Change it to an old shirt or a pair of trainers and then let it run till the listing was due to end.... 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052
    edited November 2017
    I started selling my pickups via e bay five years ago, but pulled the plug on this when e bay stopped allowing sellers to post negative feedback about buyers. This started the slippery slope as far as I was concerned as anybody had  licence to mess you about with no real recourse at all. I still use e bay for some purchases, and have been known to sell the odd music related item, but nothing of high value, its simply too risky for the seller these days. 
    E bay have the right to make up whatever rules they want, and we simply need to be aware of the way things operate and safeguard ourselves. Of one breaks those rules then it is our lookout. 
    I have huge issues with PayPal too, their complaints procedure is tilted ridiculously far in favour of the buyer, and were it not for the fact that it's practically 'he only game in town' I would abandon that as well. 
    @TheGuitarWeasel - if you want to move money, or get it as a seller, use transferwise it will do in country transfer for a fraction of the cost of paypal!

TBH I gave up on ebay a long while ago - 10% to sell, I have to use paypal with another 4% fee, there is a 180 day return policy - its fucking stupid - therefore I dont use it any longer.

Sold my first guitar on Reverb a few weeks ago, sent it to France, completely painless worked a treat from start to finish. Frankly that is where all my stuff will be going from now on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Recently I suggested to someone on eBay if they've ever used this forum. Even disguised the URL a bit and I got warned if I persisted in trying to do what I was doing I'll get suspended for 7 days. Their web robots are getting clever :(

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/