Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    This is why I think jamming b4 songs is a good idea as we might find others who can be part of the final output.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    If anyone's into a 12 bar blues jam, we could do Tore Down. Easy 12 bar in C with lots of potential.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7032
    aord43 said:
    If anyone's into a 12 bar blues jam, we could do Tore Down. Easy 12 bar in C with lots of potential.
    I’m happy to add that one. Which version should people listen to? I’ve just checked out the Rory Gallagher “Live in Montreux” version which has some good examples of variations to play.

These will all need some vocals to give the song some structure, so any volunteers (even is it’s just to mumble along) will be appreciated. I’ll print out the words and structure for the jam along songs so people can pitch in during the day.

Basket case will still be played, I’ve got a good drum stem for it, and I’ll “sing” along.

Happy to jam through the songs before we do a “take” -there will be plenty of time and opportunity to people to try joining in.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    I might be able to sing Basket Case if needed... if everyone is still keen.
    Although the drums are absolutely crucial to making that work...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd love to sing it I just don't trust my voice to hold out for that and 'Live Forever' and then have enough control left to sing Jolene and whatever else I've signed up for................which obviously I know what those songs are because I've been practicing them lots it's just that I can't remember them right now because the Cat ate my memory.

:)
    mrkb said:
    aord43 said:
    I’m happy to add that one. Which version should people listen to? I’ve just checked out the Rory Gallagher “Live in Montreux” version which has some good examples of variations to play.

These will all need some vocals to give the song some structure, so any volunteers (even is it’s just to mumble along) will be appreciated. I’ll print out the words and structure for the jam along songs so people can pitch in during the day.

Basket case will still be played, I’ve got a good drum stem for it, and I’ll “sing” along.

Happy to jam through the songs before we do a “take” -there will be plenty of time and opportunity to people to try joining in.
    I am most familiar with Clapton's take on it but I will go and listen to a few versions (including the one you mention).
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 92
    Tush, Bad Case of Loving you and Country Girl could be options for jam songs
    aord43 said:
    mrkb said:
    aord43 said:

I am most familiar with Clapton's take on it but I will go and listen to a few versions (including the one you mention).
    I listened to a few versions this morning.  I have to say, the Rory Gallagher version is least representative of what I know as that song, however it's a 12-bar blues with a shuffle feel, it can be done any and every way we want.  The Clapton one is an evolution of Freddie King's version, and there is a John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers version from the 70th anniversary concert, with Eric Clapton, which understandably is pretty much the same as Clapton's version on From The Cradle.  There are a couple of Dr. Feelgood versions, which are good although a bit fast.  And same applies to Jeff Healey's version.  There's a nice laid-back version by Canned Heat too which I feel would be great for improvised soloing because it's not too fast for my muddled fingers!
    So I say let's go for a hybrid with elements of the Clapton, Gallagher, Canned Heat versions.  I do like the rhythm riff, what I think of as "the tore down rhythm" which is in many versions on Spotify but seems to be absent from the Gallagher one.  However that's no reason to add it back in. 
    aord43 said:
    aord43 said:
    mrkb said:
    aord43 said:

I listened to a few versions this morning.  I have to say, the Rory Gallagher version is least representative of what I know as that song, however it's a 12-bar blues with a shuffle feel, it can be done any and every way we want.  The Clapton one is an evolution of Freddie King's version, and there is a John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers version from the 70th anniversary concert, with Eric Clapton, which understandably is pretty much the same as Clapton's version on From The Cradle.  There are a couple of Dr. Feelgood versions, which are good although a bit fast.  And same applies to Jeff Healey's version.  There's a nice laid-back version by Canned Heat too which I feel would be great for improvised soloing because it's not too fast for my muddled fingers!
    So I say let's go for a hybrid with elements of the Clapton, Gallagher, Canned Heat versions.  I do like the rhythm riff, what I think of as "the tore down rhythm" which is in many versions on Spotify but seems to be absent from the Gallagher one.  However that's no reason to add it back in. 
    I had another listen.  It seems to be one of those songs where everyone does their own thing.  Clapton's one is in C, as I originally said.  But Gallagher does it in E, Freddie King in D, Dr. Feelgood in A, Jeff Healey in Bb as he helpfully says at the beginning of the recording I listened to, and Canned Heat also in Bb.

@aord43 - feel free to state which version and key you want to play and we’ll all follow that.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited November 2017
    mrkb said:
    @aord43 - feel free to state which version and key you want to play and we’ll all follow that.
    Well C then...who am I to argue with Clapton?
    Edit: Just found a nice video of him playing it live in Hyde Park in 1996.
    http://www.guitartabmaker.com/2013/10/eric-clapton-im-tore-down-tab-live-in.html
    Looming forward to this and just wondering if you have managed to squeeze me in on Basket Case, Fortunate Son and Ever Fallen In Love With? Is there any additional  info you need from me? Many thanks, Ian.
    No problem, we can run through those songs twice if needed. Get learning them and I’ll tot up how many times we’re doing them nearer the day.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Is the song list on page 9 up to date?  You can add me to Sunshine of your Love if we need more people on that, I am pretty familiar with it.  And at the moment there is only me on Feel Like Making Love - and I didn't even suggest that song!
    May be good to update the song list with any of the suggested additional jam songs that have been added (I didn't realise we also needed to nominate which jam songs we would like to play on).
    I'll update the jam songs list at the weekend - Im not too bothered about keeping track of who wants to play the jam songs- can see how we go on the day - I was just doing that to make sure I don't start learning the drums for jam songs that no-ones knows or wants to play on - I have enough to learn as it is.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12333
    Have we the backline sorted?

If we do want my Katana 50 for backline I'll bring my ID core 20 for my own praccy.

We did have some posh valve gear coming but I'm not sure if the status.

I'm bringing my classic vibe tele and my electro acoustic, maybe a les Paul or my Epi Dot.

Logistics wise I'm dog legging to Bedford to pick up @alnico on the day
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

I think we should be covered - theres a PA, guitar and bass amps and drumkit provided in each room - with performing lights in the main room!

http://www.stalkersstudio.co.uk/ - we have the Blackstar and Carter rooms

Kit wise people are bringing:-

@brocco bringing a Matchless Lightning 15w

@spark240 bringing a Kemper

@darthed1981 bringing a Katana 50

@impmann bringing a Hot Rod Deluxe

@thorpyfx bringing a pedalboard of goodies and a prototype amp

Suggest people bring a guitar stand for each guitar as per Leicester.

Will get the song and attendees list updated tonight - had a busy weekend sorry!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I'll bring a Bass (obvs!) - should I bring an amp as well just in case?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Question... has anyone been to this studio before?

Years ago, I rehearsed in some different studios in this complex and getting in was on a key code, plus parking wasn't great. Has that situation changed?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.