Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Raspberry Pi-ness

What's Hot
Anyone else here a bit of an el-cheapo puter geek?

Just about to put together a retropie build for some SNES goodness...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What??
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    What??
    £30 board computer you can install Linux on, stick on an app called Retropie, plug into your HDMI telly and it becomes a cheap console emulator for pretty much every classic gaming platform..
    Right.. a mate has just done us one to watch films on. He's probably doing the games thing on his though.. He's very into computers and games..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    Right.. a mate has just done us one to watch films on. He's probably doing the games thing on his though.. He's very into computers and games..
    As a geeky sort the attraction for me is the price and the endless useless crap you can do with them...
    I know you can do all sorts with them, but it all goes way over my head, I'm afraid..

• usedtobe said:
    I know you can do all sorts with them, but it all goes way over my head, I'm afraid..
    You should see some of the robotics projects they do in schools with them... really rather impressive
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385

3D printed case, I’d recommend buying one of the USB adaptors to allow using Xbox 360 controllers, the USB SNES ones I bought weren’t great
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooooh that's cool!

I'm going to go wireless controller due to the distance from TV to sofa.. 
  • We use them at work, as well as arduinos and then dedicated FPGAs and the like. I should probably be "into" all this but really, I'm not :o
  • We use them at work, as well as arduinos and then dedicated FPGAs and the like. I should probably be "into" all this but really, I'm not :o
    Don't worry - it just means you are normal :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited September 2017
    until recently you could get a Rpi controlled CosmsoEX for your ATARI ST to give it all the HDD and connector options to bring it into the modern age:

http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=384

http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cosmosex_back_described.jpg
    http://joo.kie.sk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cosmosex_front_described.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

thingiverse for the 3D case files, loads of options now including N64, PiStation etc..

Then 3Dhubs to get the case printed :D 
  • I've also seen those cool Amiga mods that allow you to lob a Pi in and connect up the keyboard.. most cool
  • PVO_Dave said:
    Ooooh that's cool!

thingiverse for the 3D case files, loads of options now including N64, PiStation etc..

Then 3Dhubs to get the case printed :D 
    Ta - will investigate later
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Some of our competitors at work are starting to use Raspberry Pis in installations.

We're doing rather well out of replacing such installations with ones built out of commercial-off-the-shelf components instead, which are invariably more expensive, but also enormously more reliable, more serviceable and more usable.

They seem to be good educational tools, and lots of nice home uses, but I am not convinced they're appropriate for "important" applications.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Some of our competitors at work are starting to use Raspberry Pis in installations.

We're doing rather well out of replacing such installations with ones built out of commercial-off-the-shelf components instead, which are invariably more expensive, but also enormously more reliable, more serviceable and more usable.

They seem to be good educational tools, and lots of nice home uses, but I am not convinced they're appropriate for "important" applications.
    They were designed and built for low cost educational applications. I don't think the intention was ever to have them deployed commercially. 

Sounds like your your competitors are cheap ass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I have a Pi and a Pi zero but never did much with them. I am as geeky as they come but don't have a lot of time. These days my DIY electronics time is spent with effects pedals.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Bridgehouse said: 

Sounds like your your competitors are cheap ass.
    Some of them are.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

Is it software quality that is usually the issue? Obviously your at the mercy of what you can cobble to gether from OSS but Im surprised if the hardware has singificant issues
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • You gonna run MAME on it Bridgehouse?