Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar wise......what do you know now that you didn't know 10-15 years ago ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Voxman said:
    Instead of thinking the next piece of gear will make you sound better, learn to really understand and get the best out of the gear that you have

Learning about EQ is key, and having an EQ pedal on your board is the best investment you can make.

Less is more - it's at least as much about the notes you're not playing as well as the notes you are

Don't start with a crescendo of sound because you have no where to go - learning to build your sound is crucial

Whatever style you like to play, listen to lots of different styles of music...it's amazing what new things you'll discover, what familiar ground you'll find, and you'll also discover that what you think is new...isn't. 

Feel is way more important than technical skills - BB King can do more with three notes than most players can do with 12!

I've learned that slide-guitar and experimenting with different tunings is good fun

And finally...some of the best musicians and guitarists in the world are...and I'm being deadly serious here...country players!

Yep guys like johnny hiland are outrageous players, all those songs about hoss sheeyat and yeehaawr do nothing for me but those cats can play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    How to sound (almost) competent with no FX

Why (some) expensive guitars are worth it, especially acoustics

How to use that extra note when playing blues. Non-flattened 7th is it?
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Country players have always been amazing -- Chet Atkins anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Music should be fun, don't waste you time when it's a chore, just make the changes required. and move on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • A fool and their monies are easily parted ( used analogman king of tone related )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    Less is more in every aspect 

Holding back is priceless, even if it's for the whole gig and you never show your hand that gig. Serve the song. 

Listen to more players and styles than the one you like.

Learning these things has changed everything about me musically, I listen to different music for pleasure, I play different instruments and styles than I used to, I'm more open to musical ideas, I play much better than I used to and much less flash, and I'm much happier with playing and writing music than I have been in the last 20 years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072

How to use that extra note when playing blues. Non-flattened 7th is it?
    Good shout. 

I was taught (and believed) early on that minor pentatonics were all I needed to play amazing solos. This, more than anything else,  restricted my thinking and I didn't really go beyond pentatonic widdly stuff for years.

Playing outside the pentatonic box opens up a whole lot of extra possibilities, especially 6ths, 9ths, and that flattened 5th thing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I found out that I don't like Strats as much as I thought I did and I never used to like Gibson guitars.
    Now it's all reversed. 
  • Don't play a resonator in the same house as sleeping children. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Seller in Classifieds: "Awesome guitar for sale. Truly one of the World's finest instruments. Will trade for your amp/acoustic/anything really"

Buyer: "This is an unrealistic proposition. Surely you are simply offloading your cruel  disappointment? The only way I can buy this premise is if I give you the benefit of the doubt against overwhelming odds and against the logic of any sane person."

Seller in Classifieds: Exactly!  =)

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    The 'only' guitar I need is a Telecaster apparently...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited October 2017
    What you play, what you play with and what you play through don't matter. The only thing that matters is that the sound you make means something to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    Stuckfast said:
    Country players have always been amazing -- Chet Atkins anyone?
    Or Glen Campbell

What people have said about listening to and playing different styles is important.

The biggest improvement in my playing has been from getting involved in the end of year musicals at my daughters' school.  Completely outside of my comfort zone, but has made me a much better musician.

Playing a different instrument helps as well.  I've been playing some bass, and I find that it makes me think about music in a different way.  These days I don't just listen to the guitar part, and I tend to pay attention to the whole arrangement.  It's definitely made me a better musician.
  • Rhythm is a big part of music let alone guitar. Need to be more accurate when playing riffs rhythmically.

Pickups and strings affect the tone.

Bass is important in bands.

playing other styles will help improve.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1316
    tFB Trader
    Buy many guitars. Buy them cheap and often! They'll stop you getting bored and each brings fresh inspiration.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited October 2017
    • Rickenbackers are not the only guitars in the world!
    • Strats, Teles and Jazzmasters are really very versatile guitars
    • Gretshes are awesome

We are all Chameleons...
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    1. EQ pedal.
    2. Volume pedal. 
    3. Practise, practise, practise. 
    4. You'll be a much better and way more honest player if you have something to say and follow it

Not necessarily in that order.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    If anything, I probably know less than I did ten to fifteen years ago.

In the words of Homer Simpson, "every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    Not a lot.  I know more about guitars and less about playing them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Metronomes/drum machines are really, really important.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/