NGD - SO... NEARLY... FINISHED.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks great.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Lovely job.
  • https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3703/13541549684_6b8fdc4b30_c.jpg

The neck finish glorious. Looks great, this is after 2 coats of vintage tint.  Works beautifully with the dark onyx, so my next build may well be a one piece neck and an onyx body...

Anyway, it'll have one or two more coats of colourless neck finish just to make sure it lasts (I play hard enough to wear through a thick poly, so I need layers!) but it really is lovely.  It feels like a Musicman oiled neck - and that's pretty much the best neck finish out there.
  • https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/13641390244_24e5e9dd6f_c.jpg

Couple more neck coats have gone on and it's lovely feeling, super slick.  

I've just sanded the headstock back - I didn't like the gloss finish on it, so I sanded and used lemon oil.  Looks quite nice now.

So, I just need some pickups, which I'll be getting from @theguitarweasel and then I'll be taking it to a tech to sort the nut.  I'll pop the tuners on later.  

Also, I need some star washers for the pots, which are CTS.  So I'll solder it all up, but won't fit it all tightly yet. 

The tech - well, if I can't find a decent, well regarded one locally, I'll be taking it down to Laaandan town for Feline to take a look, but I really want to find a decent local tech so I can sort my other guitars, too.  
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Really looking forward to seeing tis done, looks beautiful :)

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited April 2014
    No, I'm sorry, none of it works, at all.  I would however be happy to save you any further embarrassment and take it from you, all the way down here, where no-one else can play see it.

Seriously, that is lovely, top job!
  • Really looking good.  I'm always torn with purple - I absolutely love it on the right guitar but find it difficult to like on some.  This definitely falls in to the former category.  Awesome colour and finish.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Thanks guys :) in some lights, it's amazingly deep purple, and in others (particularly high light, straight on) it looks slightly washed out, which was the look I was going for (massive heavy first colour coat rubbed back loads with wire wool until correct look is achieved).  When viewed at an angle, it's very, very purple.  

The neck is a beaut, but is hard to photograph.

Anyway, I'm off to PM @thaguitarweasel.