NGD - SO... NEARLY... FINISHED.

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
edited April 2014 in Making & Modding
It arrived, and it's sweet as all hell!

So, naturally, I completely my daily tasks and set about test fitting.  This is what it looks like hung on my wall right now

BEAUTIFUL.  I can hardly wait to get sanding and stuff.  

However, a few things are standing in my way and I will get those sorted first before I continue.

First, the jack socket.  The body is marginally too thin for the square plate from Axesrus.  So that won't work...

Next, the trem claw holes and the ground wire hole to the trem cavity are not drilled, so I need to source a long drill bit or an extension.  It looks like a 9/64th bit is needed, but an extension would let me start at a smaller size and test to see if it will screw in okay, then enlarge as I go.

The vibrato itself went on perfectly when I soaped the screws, and it pivots absolutely fine.  So no worries over that most crucial of details!

My last issue so far is the tuners.  I am using Schaller tuners, and they don't sit tight in the neck because of a 'hitch' in the hole.  Here is a shot to clarify.  I should be able to sort this with a 10mm drill bit, though I'm not sure my drill actually takes bits that big!

These are all, as far as I know, pretty small issues.  If anyone knows where I might find a suitable jack socket cover, let me know! 

I actually have a hand held reamer which I'll probably use on the tuner holes, which will let me do the bare minimum needed to get them snug without any damage.  My main fear is the ground wire and trem claw holes, which require a steady hand and a long bit.  However, I will make sure I pilot the hole by hand, just by turning the bit first to hopefully keep things accurate.

How would one know where to drill the claw holes? 

Anyway, cocobolo fingerboard with 6000 size frets.  YUMMY.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's beautiful Paul Happy-Nearly-a-Guitar-Day :)

Good call on the reamer for the  tuner holes, drill can make quite a mess (apparently ;;) )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @jookychap :)

Just dug out the reamer and it's not a step reamer, but graduated.  So I can use it for a bit, but the last little bit will probably need a 10mm bit, otherwise the outside of the hole will be closer to 11 or 12mm and I don't know how much I can get away with in terms of the washer! I want to do this one totally properly and make it *the* guitar.

It'll be worth any extra cost and wait to get it perfect.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16993
    one of the rugby ball shaped jack plates will be your best bet 

a reamer is the safest way to enlarge the tuner holes.

an extension bit will work well for the trem claws but make sure you protect the body where the drill will be above it as the low angle you need makes it easy to foul the body
  • WezV said:
    one of the rugby ball shaped jack plates will be your best bet 

a reamer is the safest way to enlarge the tuner holes.

an extension bit will work well for the trem claws but make sure you protect the body where the drill will be above it as the low angle you need makes it easy to foul the body
    Do you think something like a doubled over duster (or, er, quadrupled over duster) do the trick, or a flannel?

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming! Rugby ball plate will be ordered asap :) also, I need to find a stepped reamer... 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I just use an offcut of carpet to protect the body when I'm drilling, works grand

• Smart, I've (as luck would have it) got one of those :)

How do you work out where to drill the holes?  Do I just rest the claw against the body and mark it off, or does it need to be just off the body?  I genuinely can't remember, I've not had a guitar with a claw for a while...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16993
    i use off cuts of acoustic wood to protect the bits. but carpet sounds good.   toweling does not work well, tend to find the chuck grabs it and tangles it up. and it provides very little protection from a spinning drill chuck.  

put the claw flat against the bottom of the cavity and mark the screw holes.   this makes the theoretical lowest point of the claw snug against the body, but you should never need to adjust it that tight and the angle of the screws means it will actually sit slightly higher
  • Cool, carpet it is.  

Okay, I'll mark it off today.  I'm waiting on an email back from Wudtone, who gave me the claw, to see what drill bit size I should use, then I need to look for a foot long bit! should be interesting.  

Other jobs for the day - purchase a recessed rugby ball socket and a 10mm reamer for the tuner holes.  Well, that bit is easy at least... 

Also need to resolder one of the wires on my loom which has been damaged.  :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5610
    Where did you get your step reamer? I could do with one for a similar tuner hole problem...
  • DiscoStu said:
    Where did you get your step reamer? I could do with one for a similar tuner hole problem...
    I don't have one, I'm in the process of looking...

I think step reamers are generally not hand held - they look like electric bits.  But you can get hand reamers on ebay - just search 'hand reamer' and the size.  

I found this, which should be perfect for me :)  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281150356443?var=580214822862&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 not too expensive if you needed 2 sizes, but perhaps a bit pricey if you needed a whole set.
  • You can use an oval jack socket ?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11772
    tFB Trader
    You could use an electrosocket in there - assume GSP has done a 22mm hole for the jack
    Alternative ABM make a lovely plate that is not unlike PRS own one

A violin peghole reamer is so useful for making holes up to 10mm

The screening paint he has used is a really good Nickel one - but you want to fasten an earthing wire to each screened cavity and have them all come to the same point . use a m2.5 or m3 solder tag held in place with a machinehead screw and have an insulated wire run daisy-chain style from cavity to cavity and end up on the back of the volume pot

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I've got a reamer en route now, so fingers crossed I can sort that.  If it doesn't, I'll get a violin peg reamer.  

I've also got to drill a hole from the bridge pickup route to the control cavity, but that should be easy enough.  I'll look at that this afternoon.  

I don't think it will fit an electrocsocket actually, it looks too small.  I'll go for a rugby ball, or will look into the ABM plate.
  • Okay, guys, quick update! I successfully drilled the claw holes, and quickly screwed it in and fit 4 springs to it to test.  Beautiful and smooth! 

So that's come out now, and I'm planning on drilling my next 2 holes.  One is easy peasy - the hole from control cavity to the claw for the ground wire.  The other is the hole from the bridge pickup to the control cavity, which I'm a bit less sure of as I'm going for wood mounted pickups.  

Any thoughts?  I assume I put the hole in the bottom corner, and run the wires around the bridge pickup to allow room for some foam directly underneath the pickup.  

I plan on drilling this hole small to begin with and slowly enlarging it to hopefully prevent any terrible mistakes, as it needs to be a fair size to get the two wires in.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited February 2014
    Also, thought I'd talk you through my reaming of the tuner holes.  I've only done one, but it went well but for me bumping it while sneezing.  Woops...

Okay, so from the back to the middle (ish), it's the correct 10mm hole, so I reamed from the front, where it is too small.  I started off with a crude reamer, which is tapered quite extreme - which quickly let me get the front to the required 10mm (I actually went slightly over, but that doesn't matter).  The reamer is a bit like this http://cdn.toolstation.com/images/130125-UK/images/library/stock/webbig/11421.jpg

This leaves a small area in the middle which is not quite 10mm.  To sort this, I use a 9.5mm reamer, which *just* managed to squeeze through once the outer diameter was closer to 10.3mm.  This let me ream the centre much more carefully without making the front or rear of the hole any larger than just over 10mm.  I put the tuner in, which was a snug but not tight fit and it's perfect!

Ebony (which is what I assume the face of the headstock is) is easily chipped, it would seem and one gentle knock as I sneezed was enough to cause a small chip.  As luck would have it, the washer for the tuner covers it up! So I've got no worries doing the rest like this, and I doubt the hole being ever so slightly larger than 10mm on the front will make any difference as the front nut and washer are more for positioning, while the rear screw is what effectively holds the tuner locked in position. 

If I'd tried this with a drill bit, I have no doubt the ebony face would be split, cracked, chipped and generally ruined.  Reaming this way lets me go slowly (very slowly, in fact - I'm scared!) and shaving off absolutely tiny amounts at a time.  Obviously, it's not as nice as a 10mm straight through hole, but it's pretty close and I doubt it'll affect the stability at all.  

So all is good here.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Did the micromesh arrive Paul?
  • Deadman said:
    Did the micromesh arrive Paul?
    Drat! I did write back, must have forgotten to hit the send button...

It did, and very generous of you.  Looks to be quality, the 12000 grit is amazing!  Really looking forward to seeing how I get on, especially the neck.

So basically, I owe you one mate :)
  • Ta daaaaaa

So, the screws may need to go a bit deeper once strung, although I'm planning on using 4 or 5 springs... So we'll see.  

And the machineheads are lovely and flush :) so tomorrow, 2 holes will be drilled, and I'll test string her up!

One more quick question though... I have a Tusq XL nut (thanks @GSPBASSES!) but obviously, although it's got grooves precut which will be fine for a test stringing, it's very high.  Should I file the nut, sand it...?  Obviously, I'm talking about the flat bottom, I'm taking it to a tech to sort the top properly once the guitar is finished, but just to test string up and make sure everything is in general order...

Sorry, super old digicam doesn't like low light conditions...
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Don't worry about it ;)

Hope it comes in useful.