Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD ES335

What's Hot

Comments

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I've not gigged mine yet, but, if your tuning issue does turn out to be the tuners then I might be buying a set of those too :)
  • Chris_J said:
    I've not gigged mine yet, but, if your tuning issue does turn out to be the tuners then I might be buying a set of those too :)
    are you having the same issue with tuning..?
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    No not really, but, then I've mostly been playing my Tele recently as I've been depping for a mate and that's what's fit best. 

What I meant was, if it turns out that the tuners are an issue, I'll probably be buying a replacement set too.
  • Chris_J said:
    No not really, but, then I've mostly been playing my Tele recently as I've been depping for a mate and that's what's fit best. 

What I meant was, if it turns out that the tuners are an issue, I'll probably be buying a replacement set too.
    ah ok... well I'm off for a couple of gigs in Germany next week so I'm going to get a set when I get back...i'll let you know how I get on with them.
    skaguitar said:
    Chris_J said:

ah ok... well I'm off for a couple of gigs in Germany next week so I'm going to get a set when I get back...i'll let you know how I get on with them.
    That'd be great, thanks! Have a good trip! 
  • Chris_J said:
    skaguitar said:
    Chris_J said:

cheers...it's going to be a good one.. :)
  • skaguitar said:
    Chris_J said:
    skaguitar said:
    Chris_J said:

I have one of those 335's, before you change the tuners, just have a look at how the strings moves in the nut. They are cut a little er hastily, and they usually bind in the nut. Mine used to be a bugger for it, particularly the G string, however, when you were tuning it, you were actually making it Sharp, as the string would bind. If you pressed behind the nut on the strings, it would snap free, and be out of tune. Have a look at either slightly opening up the nut slots, or lubing them. Worth looking anyway. 
  • skaguitar said:
    Chris_J said:
    skaguitar said:
    Chris_J said:

I have one of those 335's, before you change the tuners, just have a look at how the strings moves in the nut. They are cut a little er hastily, and they usually bind in the nut. Mine used to be a bugger for it, particularly the G string, however, when you were tuning it, you were actually making it Sharp, as the string would bind. If you pressed behind the nut on the strings, it would snap free, and be out of tune. Have a look at either slightly opening up the nut slots, or lubing them. Worth looking anyway. 
    thanks for that... i'll have a look and try that first :)
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    edited November 2017
    Ever the contrarian, I much prefer the Klusons to Grovers in a 335. I have two Historics, both fitted with Klusons, and the tuning is rock-solid. I too would recommend checking the nut before replacing the machines. 

Also, since you mentioned how well it balances, be aware that fitting Grovers to a 335 often makes them a little neck-heavy. 

FWIW I also strongly prefer a real 335 to either the of the Collings I35s I've played (actually one an I35LC)
  • Ever the contrarian, I much prefer the Klusons to Grovers in a 335. I have two Historics, both fitted with Klusons, and the tuning is rock-solid. I too would recommend checking the nut before replacing the machines. 

Also, since you mentioned how well it balances, be aware that fitting Grovers to a 335 often makes them a little neck-heavy. 

FWIW I also strongly prefer a real 335 to either the of the Collings I35s I've played (actually one an I35LC)
    I did consider this as well... I don't really want to change anything on the guitar so I'm going to leave it for a month or so and see if it settles down...I've got a few gigs coming up so I'll see how stable the tuning is then decide. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3598
    I had some tuning stability issues with my 335 and after some month' deciding what I wanted in a setup, I had a pro fit a tusk nut and cut properly.  Made a huge difference and I already had groves fitted from the factory.  Sort the big issues before hardware.
  • got a clip of this guitar during a rehearsal last night... bit of a solo from 1:30 ish  and best listened to through decent headphones or speakers.. hope this link works

https://www.facebook.com/tina.dawes.98/videos/10211172202092897/
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 639
    On a Gibson if its not staying in tune 99% of the time it's because the nut slots are not cut correctly. Had a new bone nut put on my LP and it made a huge difference. Definitely worth a go before you spend the money on new hardware.
  • aggghhh... got it's first war wound today...walking past dining table after practice and caught the tone control on the corner of the table and took a chip out of the plastic...easily replaceable I know but still....!!
  • Gorgeous guitar - congrats. Re tuning - I’d be very surprised if it was the tuners. I’ve had LP’s with klusons and they were fine. The only tuning problems I’ve had to get fixed ended up being with the nut. 

FWIW I had to have the stock Tusq nut replaced on my 335 because the low E chewed through it when I tried .011’s. I had it replaced with a bone one and it’s been fine for the 10 years since.
  • Gorgeous guitar - congrats. Re tuning - I’d be very surprised if it was the tuners. I’ve had LP’s with klusons and they were fine. The only tuning problems I’ve had to get fixed ended up being with the nut. 

FWIW I had to have the stock Tusq nut replaced on my 335 because the low E chewed through it when I tried .011’s. I had it replaced with a bone one and it’s been fine for the 10 years since.
    cheers... I'm having it looked at this weekend by a luthier so hopefully get it sorted...this guitar is so good I can live with the problem if it can't be solved...which I'm sure it can.. :)
  • skaguitar said:
    Gorgeous guitar - congrats. Re tuning - I’d be very surprised if it was the tuners. I’ve had LP’s with klusons and they were fine. The only tuning problems I’ve had to get fixed ended up being with the nut. 

cheers... I'm having it looked at this weekend by a luthier so hopefully get it sorted...this guitar is so good I can live with the problem if it can't be solved...which I'm sure it can..
    I’d kick up a girt hugeous fuss if it can’t. 
  • Great looking guitar. I have a 335 and wondered if you notice much difference with the nylon saddles. I read something recently in one of the mags that many players change their saddles to nylon.
  • Erskine said:
    Great looking guitar. I have a 335 and wondered if you notice much difference with the nylon saddles. I read something recently in one of the mags that many players change their saddles to nylon.
    I have to say...I don't know if it's the nylon saddles but this guitar feels easier to play and seems to sound a bit more mellow ( in a good way ) than other guitars of this type I've had... the other guitars I've had have been 2 collings i35's a 339 and a 390.
    The guitar feels  easier to fret notes and chords and it is so easy to play...I am a notorious changer of guitars and my band mates always joke about which one I'm playing this week...but since I've had this I've not used any of my others...this speaks volumes :)