Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What guitars have you enjoyed owning? (Not guitar you've wanted!)

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9827
    1979 said:
     I had a Squier Tele Custom with P90’s about 30 guitars ago. The same issues plagued me, ‘but it’s not a fender ‘

I remember playing a friend's one of those. A real tone monster.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    My current guitar (Gibson junior 2015 SC). I got it in a ludicrously good deal because it needed a repair. With one p90 I can squeeze a plethora of tones out of it. I love simple guitars... they force you to stop fiddling with a pickup selector switch which is good 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Really loved my Gibson 335 with P90s and satin  finish. Just played really nicely and sounded great and had taps on the P90s so v versatile. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Epiphone LP Custom. My first proper guitar that I learnt to play everything on. Sounded great with BK Mules and played very nicely too. Don't really know why I ended up selling it!
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Probably the Fender Bronco I owned about 3 years ago. The neck was super comfortable, I managed to get loads of cool sounds out of the single pickup and the trem was a great middle-ground between a Strat and Jazzmaster. 

Sold it because I went to uni and thought I needed something more versatile and ended up with an R8 I sold a couple of months later! 
  • My old main Strat partscaster. It just feels right in my hands. Always has and always will. 

• JerkMoans said:

See what you think:

Great reading guys: ) 

JerkMoans: Your Jazzmaster is looking ace!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    I've had the most enjoyment with my Ibanez Universe as it's my main guitar right now that I use at home and for gigs. It may not look flashy but it sounds and feels amazing.

• I like my epiphone Les Paul special II, my first Les Paul of any kind. 
  • Guitars I have enjoyed owning, and should never have bloody sold.

#1 would be a German-made Hofner Verithin from about 2004, when they went to full-size humbuckers. I'm not sure I even had the time to get used to it or set it up nicely, I needed to sell it and the Reverend below so it was bye bye. I guess I didn't really have room for it, in the sense that I had to keep taking the strap off and putting it back in its case, no room for a stand in the tiny house we were in at the time.

#2 Would be a US-made Reverend, an HSS model called the Commando GT.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3378
    The guitar I enjoyed owning was the Fender Lurt Cobain Jaguar, looked lovely with the road worn finish and sounded great too, I didn’t get on with it despite 4 years of trying to ultimately sold it. 

The guitar I enjoyed playing the most I also sold (stupidly) it was a mid 90’s musicman sub one guitar, the type with a textured finish and a metal pickguard, was pretty ugly to look at but it played great. I should try and get another. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2017
    My American Pro Strat.
    Still the best and most reliable guitar I've ever owned.
    Seymour Duncan Classic Stack humbuckers and fully rewired black scratchplate, Tone 1 Neck, Tone 2 Bridge.
    I've fitted Gotoh HD springs so I can use just 2 with a set of 10's.
    It's a properly amazing guitar that still surprises me every time I play it.

It's going to Feline guitars after Christmas to see what Jon can do with it in terms of refinement but even right now it could go on stage and be amazing to play and hear.

The Pro is in a league of its own and after owning lots of strats over the years I can say this one is absolutely the best so far.

I recently played around 10 of Mark's CS Strats @guitars4you and one '59 model I fell completely in love with but then when I got home I played mine and realised that the two aren't really comparable and even if I could, I wouldn't give up my Pro for a '59 model, regardless of where or how it was made.
    My Pro is fairly unique in its spec,......so there's not another strat I'd want in its place because it's got such a unique feel.

Best guitar I've ever owned.

https://i.imgur.com/ZAUFcSc.jpg?1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Most of them, and for different reasons. Most, I just like the sound of, and have identified uses for that sound. Just a few were bought as cheapies for when I didn't want to risk damage to or theft of a prize instrument, or as something to test an idea with so I wouldn't have to do a potentially damaging or value-reducing mod to a prize instrument,

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/SolidFamily_zpsmdzohzin.jpg

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/AcousticFamily_zpsjydhtgjb.jpg

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/musophilr/SemiFamily_zpsd6filakq.jpg

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have owned so many over the years but I would say my favourites would of been my

: cs 62 in white with mint pickguard Strat I loved that guitar which I had to end up selling.

: musicman jp6 probably the nicest playing guitar I’ve owned another one I wish I still had.

: faith f000 limited edition Patrick eagle series acoustic which I’ve owned around 5 years which will never leave me.

ill update this with some photos of them soon.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    I had a G&L tribute tele in natural swamp ash which I loved, traded it for a classic player 50s strat which I loved, which I traded for a roadworn tele which I love and am now looking to sell.  Love all of those.

I also have a 335 copy by Harley Benton which I have put gibson tuners, pickguard and knobs and seymour duncan vintage blues HBs in.  I also have what was a squier standard strat which I have painted, changed the pickups, wiring, knobs, scratchplate etc.  These I could never sell as I "made" them.  Plus of course they aren't worth the sum of their parts probably!
  • Let go so many great guitars but the one I kick myself the most for is the PRS CU22 I let go on this very forum.  I took it in a trade and convinced myself to let it go when really I should have sold my '89 CU24 instead.  I'm a different person/player to when I bought the 24 (it was 1991 and I was 21) so never use the trem and rarely get right up the dusty end of the fretboard.

D'oh!

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited November 2017
    I agree with the playability thing, it’s key to becoming a better guitarist IMO.

I have a PRS, a Tele, Suhr Strat and a Gibson Les Paul...out of them all, the PRS is leagues ahead and is my absolute favourite. They’re expensive though and the look isn’t for everyone, but they’re stunning to play.
    For me the playability thing is the answer - I have an Epiphone ES335 that I had set up by Rob Williams 15 years ago (https://robwilliamsguitars.co.uk/) before he moved to Wales, and it is the most playable guitar I have ever owned. I've had other guitars set up by a variety of other supposedly professional techs and nothing plays as well as my ES335.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • SpiritOfTheAgeSpiritOfTheAge Frets: 149
    edited November 2017

I recently bought a 2003 (ish) American series Telecaster on a whim, I don't know why as I'd never liked the look of them before but I bought it (I'm still not sure why). Anyway it fits me like a glove, I find the spec/dimension of its neck (modern c, maple fret board and rolled edges) and the finish used on it a true dream/joy to play, it's effortless to play.

On top of being a pleasure to play it also sounds great, so I'm toying with the idea of selling my two other electrics and having just the Telecaster as nothing else comes close.

https://i.imgur.com/E8q5M6x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kpfrrjn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Hh3IpjQ.jpg

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited November 2017
    I love my 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top with a thinner neck I bought in February 2011 and a chambered body.
    Today I bought a 2005 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard 1957 Reissue Gold Top/Dark Back and a set of Slash signature  Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro Humbuckers...
    It's got the neck profile I've been catting/jonesing for and... This guitar isn't chambered/has more weight to it, like a Gibson built in the early 1980's (another quality I was looking for).

Just a quick video of me and my new buy when I came in tonight.

I actually bought both of my Gibsons from the same place but they've changed hands along the way.
    I bought my Red Sparkle Top at Vintage & Rare Guitars in London and I bought my Gold Top (with the 1957 neck profile) at No.Tom Vintage Classic Guitar... Same shop/building/place though. 
  • Okay, this is the first video of it/me showing it off as I came in.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom