Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

QOTSA - stunning live sound...

What's Hot
Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
edited November 2017 in Guitar

I've just been to see QOTSA in Manchester this weekend, and after seeing countless bands the past year, in small to large venues, they really did impress me with their whole live sound.

Everything sounded lively, tight, well thought out and powerful. I know it is also down to their live sound engineers, but their guitar/bass tones were exceptionally good. You could hear every note, all the right bass runs and thump, the delicate guitar slides, and all of the vocals and backing. I've not seen a big fairly heavy band do that in a long time. Normally it's just all mid cut guitar and bass drum/snare....but they balanced the levels well as they do on their records.

It's good to see a band welcoming a balanced mix. I think Josh and Troy have some of the best guitar tones I've heard in ages. Heavy, thick and melodic but allowing the bass to shine through.

Anyone have any info on what they are doing guitar-wise? I know they tend to use a lot of vintage amps, unusual guitars, and big effects boards.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I read Josh is very secretive about his guitar tones and settings, I rarely see any rig rundowns or info about it online, they play in all sorts of weird tunings and are massive amps/effects users like you said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I met an ex road manager a few years ago who had worked with a lot of well known artists so I asked him who he considered the most impressive guitarist and without hesitating he replied Josh Homme.  From what I can remember in interviews he is very secretive about how he gets his sound, you can't blame him I suppose.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    He uses a Stone Deaf PDF pedal, and before that a Maestro MPF-1.

I've been trying to recreate his sound, but so far no luck 
    s

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116126/fractal-fx-modelling-a-maestro-mpf-1-stone-deaf-pdf-2-pedal
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Saw them in Denmark a few years ago. Killer
  • I've just been to see QOTSA in Manchester this weekend, and after seeing countless bands the past year, in small to large venues, they really did impress me with their whole live sound.

Everything sounded lively, tight, well thought out and powerful. I know it is also down to their live sound engineers, but their guitar/bass tones were exceptionally good. You could hear every note, all the right bass runs and thump, the delicate guitar slides, and all of the vocals and backing. I've not seen a big fairly heavy band do that in a long time. Normally it's just all mid cut guitar and bass drum/snare....but they balanced the levels well as they do on their records.

It's good to see a band welcoming a balanced mix. I think Josh and Troy have some of the best guitar tones I've heard in ages. Heavy, thick and melodic but allowing the bass to shine through.

Anyone have any info on what they are doing guitar-wise? I know they tend to use a lot of vintage amps, unusual guitars, and big effects boards.

This should get you in the ball park sounds wise 
    https://reverb.com/news/potent-pairings-how-to-sound-like-queens-of-the-stone-age
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The secret to his tone is how he plays his Squier Strat via Metal Zone pedal into.the Gorilla amp.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    edited November 2017
    Freebird said:
    He uses a Stone Deaf PDF pedal, and before that a Maestro MPF-1.

I've been trying to recreate his sound, but so far no luck 
    s

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116126/fractal-fx-modelling-a-maestro-mpf-1-stone-deaf-pdf-2-pedal

Yeah I played around with a PDF for a while but couldn't get close.  Am off to see QOTSA tomorrow so will observe closely :D

Dr No Effects makes a couple of Troy signature pedals:

https://shop.drno-effects.com/product/troy-van-leeuwen-tvl-octavia/
    https://shop.drno-effects.com/product/tvl-raven-filter-boost/

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • These guys are the bees knees. Properly brilliant live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1216
    edited November 2017
    There's a video on YouTube - on the Sound On Sound magazine channel about the QOTSA studio guitar sound. The gist as I remember it is basically get some cool old guitars and amps and, this is important, crank the mids at every stage. That means eq pedals, amps, mixer channel etc. The engineer/producer chappie really stressed that they were boosting mids at every stage and far more than is normal.
    Assuming they're going for similar tones live that might be a starting point. It would certainly explain why everything cuts through and leaves room to hear the bass runs and suchlike.

Edit: here it is, worth a watch if you're interested in their approach to recording: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I know Troy uses (used?) JMI AC30s, Bad Cats and an Audio Kitchen amp. Think Josh is an Ampeg V22 (a bass amp?? Can’t remember the specs). 

Closest I’ve ever got to QoTSA Sound was with a Diamond Fireburst. Was very, very close and had that distinctive midrange. 

If you want some lullabies/era vulgaris Troy sounds you could buy my Yamaha TVL sig in the classifieds...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @jellybelly  excellent cross-marketing!

More QOTSA inspired tones available through my Alain Johannes pedal, ditto :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    I saw them at Reading 2014 and even in that situation in a big open field they sounded absolutely huge. Going to see them at the O2 tomorrow, can't wait!

Catalinbread SFT pedal seems pretty good for qotsa tones. 
  • Off to see them again tomorrow at the O2, will report back in full!

They were bloody amazing at the Roundhouse a few years back, and Josh was similarly phenomenal with TCV when they toured too.
  • JerkMoans said:
    @jellybelly  excellent cross-marketing!

More QOTSA inspired tones available through my Alain Johannes pedal, ditto :D
    Guilty!!

in all seriousness, Troy’s into Fender offsets nowadays, seems to let josh hog all the low mids. They make an awesome pairing!
  • For anyone interested-

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Love Homme’s little solos. 
  • I wonder how much of it is the venue? I loved the sound in the Manchester Arena, probably ine of the best venues around, IMO. A mate of mine just came back from a Depeche Mode concert there and said the same thing as you. I saw QOTSA in 2013 in Wembley Arena and yes, they sound great thought!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Reckon it must be the venue: I know these guys are famously picky about their sound, but last night at the O2 it was nothing like @Musicman20  described. More like a muddy wall of noise, at least down in the mayhem at ground zero. Certainly little definition, albeit Josh’s solos cut through on the whole. Fun gig, anyway.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Yep, I didn't want to say it but they weren't the greatest sounding band I've ever heard - good, but not incredible...I definitely think the venue plays a part.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Anyway here’s a grainy phone shot of TVL doing the Jimmy Page thing with his twin-necked Jazzmaster 

https://imgur.com/a/hGkRN

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer