Scale length and tone Fender vs Gibson length and sounds?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    edited November 2017
    Even when they do appear in shops, they are rarely 6 strings, but all mine have been.  I am yet to convince the world I am right on this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    This is bassses but it might be of interest - 34” vs 35” on same model 

https://youtu.be/GahBiXLOuGQ
    I had a 35" Peavey Cirrus and although the string definition was noticeable, the playability was poorer.

The scale hasn't affected playability for me on guitar yet, but I didn't really like PRS' 24.5" Singlecut, as barre chords put a bit of stress on my wrist.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited November 2017
    TTBZ said:
    I prefer the feel of short scale as I've got small hands and always played Gibson style guitars. That said recently I'm preferring the tuning stability and clarity of a Fender style, we tune down to D standard/drop C and it just seems better on a longer scale. 
    You should be using comparatively thicker strings on the Gibson scale Guitars, probably a gauge up. I agree - but drop C can still feel and sound great on Gibson scale instruments IMO
    Yeah my problem is that I don't really like super thick strings, anything above a 54 on the bottom string feels wrong to me and I still prefer a 52. Means I have to be careful with my picking hand to not wrench it out of tune as I can be a bit heavy handed. The intonation also seems a lot better on a 25.5. Really want to get a tele built up and get it set up for drop c so I can get my SG back up to Eb or standard !
  • allenallen Frets: 773
    I’m a 24.75 superfan
    All my guitars are 24.75 or thereabouts 

telecaster (conversion neck)
    strat conversion neck
    2 shorty anderson strats
    a japanes medium scale strat
    Etc. 

The tone loses nothing. Within the number of other variables (of which pickups is the main one) there’s no difference. 

You gain having to stretch a bit less. 
    You lose a bit of space between frets at the dusty end. 

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1398
    Mustangs sound rather stratty, despite obvious differences. Except the both-pickups setting, which is quite tele-ish. 
  • allen said:
    I’m a 24.75 superfan
    All my guitars are 24.75 or thereabouts 

telecaster (conversion neck)
    strat conversion neck
    2 shorty anderson strats
    a japanes medium scale strat
    Etc. 

The tone loses nothing. Within the number of other variables (of which pickups is the main one) there’s no difference. 

You gain having to stretch a bit less. 
    You lose a bit of space between frets at the dusty end. 

Interesting. I also prefer Gibson scale and Strat sounds. I've been on the lookout for a short scale Anderson but I also like big frets, and used shorties with jumbo frets are like hens' teeth. I've only ever seen one and the seller acted so oddly I didn't buy it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”