Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need a 2nd guitar ; gas for Flying V , gold top , prs !

What's Hot
i only have 1 guitar , a much used 1990 Les Paul custom .
its getting fixed again , it’s showing its age .
so now I have no guitar !

so I need to at least think about getting a backup .

i like the Les Paul custom for its punchy aggressive sound and fast neck. I play in a hellacopters style garage rock band , a punk thrash crossover band and occcauinally a nwobhm/Motörhead worship metal band . The Les Paul covers all these . 

ive been dreaming of the following 

Flying V  . I’m a metaller at heart , and I used to have one as a teenager , it was a fun guitar .
but can I pull it off ? I play in a punk crossover band and a hellacopters style garage rock band .

les Paul gold top - always liked em , had an r4 once and didn’t like the fat neck , but maybe there’s one with more aggressive pickups and a slimmer neck .

prs s2 - played the standard 22 and the single cut , I really enjoyed the standard 22 , but for a died in the wool Gibson man is it a step too far ?!!

im open to other suggestions !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How about an explorer? 

Pulls off the I’m into heavy music vibe yet nice and easy to play sat down, at least in my opinion, when noodling away at home. 

I had a 2016 Explorer in Cherry. Played great. Looked awesome and had some serious growl! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • How about an explorer? 

Pulls off the I’m into heavy music vibe yet nice and easy to play sat down, at least in my opinion, when noodling away at home. 

I had a 2016 Explorer in Cherry. Played great. Looked awesome and had some serious growl! 
    I had a go on my friends explorer the other week, sounded fantastic but it was weird guitar to play compared to a Les Paul 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    I have an S2 standard 24 and love it, solid tuning, easy to play, sounds great and is light weight. 
    Bonus is you can pick them up for very little second hand and I even if you like new guitars lots of shops are still knocking them out for £799
  • Another Custom. If it ain't broke...
  • If you're a "died in the wool Gibson man", why not an SG? Not as attention grabbing as an Explorer or a V, but should hit the brief of garage rock/punk/classic metal pretty well. Also would generally have a slimmer neck than the Goldtop you tried I imagine.

Cheaper too, which is always a bonus!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited November 2017
    Get another Gibson of whatever type, dont buy a PRS - I cant think of a less garage-band style guitar, and also punk/metal people will guffaw at you (and rightly so)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618

Go with what you like...find a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute T Goldtop.....slim taper neck...I paid £700 or less new so they don't break the bank either and are damned good.

Flying V looks cool but just a pain to have hanging round your neck & generally cumbersome

• How about an explorer? 

I had a go on my friends explorer the other week, sounded fantastic but it was weird guitar to play compared to a Les Paul 
    More so than a Flying V? ;) haha. There not for everyone though. 

SGs are also a good shout. Some wisdom there from dontgiveupyourdayjob. 

I’be Had several LPs and never taken to them but they’ll be prying my 2013 SG Deluxe out of my cold dead fingers when I go. Lots of pick up options to play with as well. Hums/p90s/Minihums. I’ve seen the no frills SG foe for as little as 350... although it was worn brown...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2614
    edited November 2017 tFB Trader
    if you don't like fat necks then you probably won't like most PRS, most I have played feel like tree trunks.

you are probably after a 60's Gibson neck for feel then....

I have a V, SG and Lester here, they all play great but are different, the V is closer to the Lester in terms of tone and feel and it looks cool

nwobhm/Motörhead worship metal band???? what the actual
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1209

"His Grace in spades! His Grace in spades!"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918

For a brief period in '77/'78 I worshipped Motorhead, is that so wrong?
  • p90fool said:

For a brief period in '77/'78 I worshipped Motorhead, is that so wrong?
    if it's wrong I don;t wanna be right!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    Get another Gibson of whatever type, dont buy a PRS - I cant think of a less garage-band style guitar, and also punk/metal people will guffaw at you (and rightly so)
    couldnt disagree more, we're not talking the bling topped dipped in Glass PRs, the S2's are stripped back pickguard models and the Satin finished ones are understated and workman like.
  • grungebob said:
    couldnt disagree more, we're not talking the bling topped dipped in Glass PRs, the S2's are stripped back pickguard models and the Satin finished ones are understated and workman like.
    Thats what I liked about em.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    edited November 2017
    Apart from what has been suggested already

Firebird studio 
    Tele deluxe (several flavours e.g. shiflett sig, American pro, Jim root)
    Les Paul junior

https://reverb.com/uk/p/fender-jim-root-artist-series-telecaster-electric-guitar-black?gclid=CjwKCAiA9f7QBRBpEiwApLGUiuRRT9aEIyYpT-Z2kjDZt0MWkIl0C1nuz_0UpqyW1bypfPExB21yBRoCTK8QAvD_BwE&hfid=7005408

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    Punk on a V? Well, I guess it could work... but looks wise, its not *quite* what I'd associate with punk or garage.

Frankly though, I'd go for an SG or a Les Paul Special - these will easily do the punk/thrash thing, they sound epic playing Motorhead and NWOBHM and IIRC, the Hellacopters used them!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1287
    Selling a V. I’ll bump it in the classifieds. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gordon-Smith gs2?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• grungebob said:
    Yes, but they're still PRS -  i.e. One of the least punk/rock and roll guitar makes of all time.