Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Squier telecasters

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
edited November 2017 in Guitar
I've been thinking about it for ages and I reckon now is maybe the time for me to give a tele a go. I can't afford a fancy one but to me part of the appeal of a tele is it's cheap, rough and ready and not posh. I've played an Affinity tele and really liked it but had these concerns:

- pickguard. First thing I'll want to do is change the pickguard but have heard it's not a standard fender size? Is it a pain to find a black one to fit without going custom?
- narrower nut. The narrow neck on this feels really nice to me but is it a problem to find replacements? Or will any good luthier have no problem sourcing or making a nut to fit?
- thinner body. Does it really affect tone or sustain when plugged in that couldn't be compensated for with pickups?
- top loading bridge. As above re the body, is there really much noticeable benefit to string thru? Suppose I could always drill it in the future. 

Or is there any real merit to saving a bit longer and getting a used CV 50s, or a used Fender MIM? As I said I've played an Affinity and liked it but that wasn't a long term test. I have a set of hipshot tuners I can drop straight in so that's one cheap guitar "problem" fixed. I didn't play it plugged in but had kinda factored in getting some Oil City pickups in it at some point unless the stock ones are any good.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Instead of getting something that you would immediately change a bunch of things on I would try to hold out for a CV. They’re great guitars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    If you're just Telecurious the Affinity is fine. 

The neck pickup is a bit lifeless (unless you remove the cover) but the bridge pickup is great fun and very authentic sounding in an early 1960s kind of way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited November 2017
    Instead of getting something that you would immediately change a bunch of things on I would try to hold out for a CV. They’re great guitars 
    This.
    Affinitys/Affinities/Affinitii are fine guitars "as is" but there is a point where Triggers Broom sets in. 
    Judging by your comments I'd be looking at the CV50s or a MIM- a good, ready made guitar that the majority of future upgrades will drop into. Failing that, have you considered a Partscaster?
    Tele Partscasters are easy to put together and you can get the spec you want from the outset (& mod it as your tastes change).
    IIRC @lonestar ;;; has a beautiful blue tele body for sale, get a neck, hardware and Robert's your mothers brother. 
    If you're thinking OilCity pickups, it's worth considering a harness from Ash too- excellent quality & a real improvement on virtually anything I've seen fitted in a factory.

Regarding the toploading bridge- some people prefer them. I THINK ICBM falls into this camp- lower string tension over the bridge = more twang?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    TBH, I'd suggest saving the money up and buying something better than the Affinity. The CV is a country mile better (and closer to a real Tele - in fact, it *is* a real Tele) and by the time you've upgraded this and changed that, you'll end up spending a load of money on something that will always be a poor man's Tele.

Other guitars to consider - the Vintage Tele copies are superb and come up really cheap. There was one in the Kettering Crack Converters recently for £85. Tokai chinese ones are OK and cheap - although I'm not a fan of the pickups, the necks are OK. Finally the Harley Benton (Thomann) guitars - ok, the headstock is eaten up with the uglies but they are generally fine guitars... although some can be a touch heavy in weight.

Or as mentioned above, build something or buy a Partcaster - buy carefully and you can end up with a guitar that is greater than the sum of its parts.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Classic vibe!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    I used an Affinity for a while and found it fine. The neck was quite playable and I was able to replace the pickguard with an old Fender single ply I had lying around very easily. The only problem I experienced was with the bridge saddle screws coming loose and causing rogue vibrations but once I'd sussed the problem it was easily fixed. You'll want to upgrade eventually but as a toe in the water they're a good buy.
  • I have a cv and it is fantastic, it has killed my tele gas once and for all.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    Had considered the parts route but since at this stage I'm more "telecurious" as p90fool says I'm concerned I might end up not getting on with it then losing a load of money if I want to sell it. That's certainly been the case in the past and maybe this time I should learn from my mistakes!

I think you're all confirming what I knew all along though, that I'd get an Affinity and spend a fortune doing it up, only to have spent the same as I would have on a CV!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I have a cv and it is fantastic, it has killed my tele gas once and for all.

Wish I could say this want true but I don't think I could ever be happy with having a Squier logo on the headstock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2017
    thegummy said:

Wish I could say this want true but I don't think I could ever be happy with having a Squier logo on the headstock
    Why not? They're clearly great guitars given how many great reviews they get.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had an Affinity for about 10 years and love it, as is.  I was going to swap out the white pickguard but ran into the already mentioned incompatible issue and decided to leave it alone. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• thegummy said:

Gives you a good excuse to play badly tho :blush: 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    edited November 2017
    CV all day long, i sold my Baja because i preferred the neck on the CV, couldnt care less what it says on the headstock, its a damn fine guitar 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12334
    thegummy said:

Even the Squier Bullets are surprisingly good, the Classic Vibes are easily a match for Mexican Fenders, in fact I chose my CV tele over a Mexican Tele because I preferred the neck, though personally I found the pickups on the Mexi possibly slightly better, it is very YMMV.

The CV teles do have vintage split tuners which I sodding hate, I restrung mine the other week though and managed it just fine :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • My only bugbear with the CV is the gloopy finish on the neck (both the back and the fretboard). Other than that I really liked it. 
    The best neck I've ever played was on a Squier Trohman tele. It was phenomenal... I'd love to buy one of those, but they've dropped off the face of the earth.
  • thegummy said:

Squier is cooler than Fender in a garagey sort of way.  Doing the festival rounds last year I was surprised how many of the younger, cooler bands were playing Squiers.  Only the Dadrock bands had expensive guitars, the cutting-edge stuff was being played on cheapies like Squiers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    edited November 2017
    As long as you don't pour any money into it in "upgrades", the Affinity is a perfectly decent starting point.  When funds allow, sell it and buy something better.  I would go something like Affinity Squier -> Pro Tone Squier -> Jap Fender -> US vintage reissue (£0.1k, £0.3k, £0.6k, £1k).

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the mention @stimpsonslostson ;

Yip I have this unloaded body for sale :)

https://i.imgur.com/bDbYKpi.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Expensive fenders always baffle me tbh. No matter how expensive they are they always feel like 2 bits of wood bolted together rather than a "nice" instrument.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    TTBZ said:
    Expensive fenders always baffle me tbh. No matter how expensive they are they always feel like 2 bits of wood bolted together rather than a "nice" instrument.
    As opposed to Gibson gluing several lumps together, often in the 'wrong' places, using too much glue and then not finishing it properly afterwards? ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom