Stratocaster vintage bridge - floating trem height

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bbill335 said:
    ICBM said:
     Likewise the 'fan' arrangement for the springs which is also not an improvement, does not aid tuning stability (if anything it might make it slightly worse) and probably arose because because it's more difficult to hook the springs onto the outer claws.
    I 100% agree with you and yet... my trem feels better with the 3 springs set at angles than when they were parallel. I *think* it's because the tension on the outer two screws is increased slightly when they are at angles (because they're stretched further) but not as much tension as a whole extra spring.
    Hooke’s Law invalidates this argument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    ICBM said:
    bbill335 said:

You're probably right but, it's basically fine right now, so I am loath to mess with it until next string change.
    No need to mess with it at all if it feels fine and returns to pitch correctly :).
    It does more-or-less. Upward bends don't *quite* come back properly, but then I'd rather there was zero upwards movement. I'd prefer to have the rear edge of the plate against the body, with a gap at the front edge, but the spring tension required for that was too stiff (11-54 strings tuned standard) and it didn't return to pitch anyway.

I'm no spring lawyer and my favourite vibrato is the Mustang so what do I know?  :)
  • Just over 2mm of float for me.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    bbill335 said:

It does more-or-less. Upward bends don't *quite* come back properly, but then I'd rather there was zero upwards movement. I'd prefer to have the rear edge of the plate against the body, with a gap at the front edge, but the spring tension required for that was too stiff (11-54 strings tuned standard) and it didn't return to pitch anyway.
    Oddly, and again going against popular wisdom, I find that you actually get better tuning stability with the bridge fully floating, if you're going to use the trem at all. I think it's because if it's floating, the bridge actually wobbles around the rest position slightly as you play, and that helps release any tiny bit of sticking at the pivot points. If the bridge is resting against the body it can't do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    bbill335 said:
    ICBM said:
     Likewise the 'fan' arrangement for the springs which is also not an improvement, does not aid tuning stability (if anything it might make it slightly worse) and probably arose because because it's more difficult to hook the springs onto the outer claws.
    I 100% agree with you and yet... my trem feels better with the 3 springs set at angles than when they were parallel. I *think* it's because the tension on the outer two screws is increased slightly when they are at angles (because they're stretched further) but not as much tension as a whole extra spring.
    I think Hooke's Law supports the argument!