Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• thats for sale in the classifieds on here right now....
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    thats for sale in the classifieds on here right now....
    thought I'd just seen it somewhere else
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    thats for sale in the classifieds on here right now....
    I remembered seeing it somewhere!... bit of a price difference!...
  • no reserve listing - brave!
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    Is that right about early 60s maple slab boards being available?  I've never heard that before (or if I have, I've forgotten).
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    no reserve listing - brave!
    Surely something fishy going on there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    Be cool people, someone is trying to sell their guitar.

@Philly_Q - I think so, didn't Hendrix have one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:

Come on - who lists a genuine pre-CBS Strat at zero price and no reserve?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    thebreeze said:

@Philly_Q - I think so, didn't Hendrix have one?

Lord knows.  I know there were big-headstock maple veneer boards from 1967 to 1970 (exact dates probably wrong...), but I don't think I've seen or heard of small-headstock maple slab boards before.  Unless, as I say, it's just a gap in my memory.

Not suggesting it's dodgy, just curious.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    Yeah,  slab maple boards were a thing.  That information is accurate

they are not just a sign of a cheap copy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The maple board Strats were available to order after Fender switched to rosewood, then I think maple board Strats were available from stock for 1963.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    pia98jf said:
    thebreeze said:

Come on - who lists a genuine pre-CBS Strat at zero price and no reserve?
    I don't think that's completely unusual.  I wouldn't, but I think people use it as an effective way of getting more people interested.  That bloke in LA has done it successfully with the Gibson TV Special discussed in the other thread and also has a '51 Broadcaster and 56/57 LP for sale like this too.

WezV said:
    Yeah,  slab maple boards were a thing.  That information is accurate

they are not just a sign of a cheap copy
    Both of your posts seem to be insinuating something.  If there are things that need to be called out/questioned etc. it would be much more helpful to do it properly (for me because I have an interest in these things, but for seller maybe as well as any potential buyers?). I think it's a really helpful thing that those on here with expert knowledge can bring it to bear when it's needed but if it's done too obliquely everything's left a bit confusing.  If it's a cheap copy I'd like to know why.  If not, we have to be careful we're not doing the seller a big disservice?
    edited December 2017
    Not insinuating anything, just speaking from my perspective.  

I associate maple slab boards with cheap copies because that’s where I have experienced this style of neck.  Despite that, I know fender did actually do it for a very brief period and have stated the info is accurate 

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I bet the mans inbox is full of trade offers: "Will swap you for a Gibson Dusk Tiger!" or something equally naff but commands a high price.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    WezV said:

I associate maple slab boards with cheap copies because that’s where I have experienced this style of neck.  Despite that, I know fender did actually do it for a very brief period and have stated the info is accurate 

I thought the maple slab board was an optional extra from 59 till the re-introdcution as a standard model in late 60s? Fender did go as far as making it an option on the 59 Strat Reissue launched a few years ago.
  • pia98jf said:
    I wouldn't assume that. No way it's going to sell for £500 or anything. No-reserve auctions just mean that the item will sell for what it's worth - value is what somebody is willing to pay. I always sell stuff (mostly cars) no-reserve and £1 start. Gets people interested.
    pia98jf said:
    I wouldn't assume that. No way it's going to sell for £500 or anything. No-reserve auctions just mean that the item will sell for what it's worth - value is what somebody is willing to pay. I always sell stuff (mostly cars) no-reserve and £1 start. Gets people interested.
    I respectfully disagree. All a no-reserve auction does is show what someone is willing to pay within a specified period from a greatly reduced pool of potential buyers. Where the item is a risky buy because there could be doubts over authenticity (which is clearly the case with vintage guitars) this will reduce what someone is willing to pay for it.

There will be an accepted approximate range of value for a guitar of this year in the condition it’s in.  Let’s say for arguments sake it’s £8-10k.  (I think the guitar was listed her for about £10k if I remember correctly).  In that case then all the seller has to do is go to a guitar dealer and say “I’m looking for a quick sale, I’ll let this gone for £5k”.  I’ll be astounded if the guitar gets anywhere near that on ebay.
  • ive got my lucky grand ready and waiting  B)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Octafish said:
    WezV said:

I thought the maple slab board was an optional extra from 59 till the re-introdcution as a standard model in late 60s? Fender did go as far as making it an option on the 59 Strat Reissue launched a few years ago.
    It’s similar to my recollection, but I would still be surprised if 1% of slab board maple necks in the world were made by fender.  That isn’t a comment on this guitar, just the construction technique itself.

i have seen people use it as evidence of a fake, which is inaccurate.  
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Can one go to Fender to get a guitar authenticated?

Might cost a few quid but would be worth while on an instance like this.