Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

eBay bargain of the century

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    WezV said:
    Octafish said:
    WezV said:
    Not insinuating anything, just speaking from my perspective.  

I associate maple slab boards with cheap copies because that’s where I have experienced this style of neck.  Despite that, I know fender did actually do it for a very brief period and have stated the info is accurate 

I thought the maple slab board was an optional extra from 59 till the re-introdcution as a standard model in late 60s? Fender did go as far as making it an option on the 59 Strat Reissue launched a few years ago.
    It’s similar to my recollection, but I would still be surprised if 1% of slab board maple necks in the world were made by fender.  That isn’t a comment on this guitar, just the construction technique itself.

i have seen people use it as evidence of a fake, which is inaccurate.  
    A quick google seems to suggest that a maple fingerboard was an special order option 60-68. I've only seen a few pre-CBS with maple fingerboard, but they seem more common from the late 60s. The Fender Japan have been doing a 68 model with one since the 90s, I've got a 2016 one. Didn't some US models come with them in recent times. I'm sure a bass player I played with a few years ago had a maple fingerboard US Precision, not sure if it was a standard or a deluxe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I get annoyed when people refer to an active auction as a bargain; how can something be a bargain when a final price hasn't been determined yet?

These days, with the saturation of eBay, most things end up fetching around their base value, but often not till the last few seconds.

I tee up lots of auctions in my watch list, and very few ever sell at a price where I think "that's a bargain".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Fuengi said:
    Can one go to Fender to get a guitar authenticated?

Might cost a few quid but would be worth while on an instance like this. 
    I suspect this one has been monkeyed around with so much that there would be great limits on what they could tell you, but I found them extremely helpful when I was looking to buy a custom shop strat that was sold without CoA and all the tawdry frippery a few years ago.  Sent them a couple of pictures and the serial number and a fellow got back to me within about 36 hours with the full spec as it left the factory..  It all checked out and I've played it merrily ever since.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    Octafish said:
    Didn't some US models come with them in recent times. I'm sure a bass player I played with a few years ago had a maple fingerboard US Precision, not sure if it was a standard or a deluxe?
    you are more likely to see it on the basses i think.   they have been reinforcing bass necks since the mid 90's - never seen one with 3 skunk stripes so they must be putting the extra rods in below the board
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2739
    Fuengi said:
    Can one go to Fender to get a guitar authenticated?

Might cost a few quid but would be worth while on an instance like this. 

Why would anyone at Fender have a clue about vintage guitars?

• Fender are quite helpful like this, but their electronic records don’t go that far back. Andre Duchoissoir’s book would help establish a few facts I suppose.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    WezV said:
    Octafish said:
    Didn't some US models come with them in recent times. I'm sure a bass player I played with a few years ago had a maple fingerboard US Precision, not sure if it was a standard or a deluxe?
    you are more likely to see it on the basses i think.   they have been reinforcing bass necks since the mid 90's - never seen one with 3 skunk stripes so they must be putting the extra rods in below the board
    I never really thought about the neck construction, but I once owned a late-90s "Hot Rod P-Bass" and that had a slab maple board, no skunk stripe.  No idea if it had the reinforcing rods.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited December 2017
    The non-skunk stripe necks with maple board were maple capped and available from  late 1960 to  late 1969/early1970.  My hardtail 1969 (neck date Nov 1969) Strat has the maple capped neck (as did Hendrix' 1968 white strat with maple neck)

photo IMG_20170517_143518120_zpsgjpz9xstjpgphoto IMG_20161014_144927922_zps5bly1u1xjpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • "This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken."

Huh?

• No longer available on eBay and ‘Sold’ in the classifieds.... 

Lets hope someone got a genuine bargain....
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    No longer available on eBay and ‘Sold’ in the classifieds.... 

Probably the dad of the 12 year old guitarist from the other thread has bought it :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Arktik83 said:
    No longer available on eBay and ‘Sold’ in the classifieds.... 

Probably the dad of the 12 year old guitarist from the other thread has bought it :P
    lol maybe the kid bought it himself from his Youtube money. I know that some woman my nieces like to watch has made 6 million dollars from Youtube so he's probably made a fair buck
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    I bet its not really sold...and not for £9500. I'd like it to appear at a certain UK vintage dealer next, would make my day :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom