Any camera nerds around? Lens choice...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
So on the off chance that there are some camera nerds around. I have a Canon 650D. It's actually quite a nice camera. I have the Canon 18-55 kit lens, which is basic but does the job. I also have a Yashica Yashinon DS-M 50mm 1.7 prime lens, with a pentax m42 adapter.

I don't have too much money, and I'm looking at adding to my lenses. I am mostly interested in decent enough lenses for video, and I have an Amazon £50 voucher that I was given for my birthday.

So basically there are two lenses I am looking at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-50-1-8-Lens/dp/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377074473&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+50mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-40mm-2-8-STM-Lens/dp/B0089SWZDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377074477&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+40mm

But I can't decide which. The 50mm goes down to 1.8 f-stop, and the 40mm goes down to 2.8 f stop. The 40mm is nice and portable, and on a crop sensor will come out to about 64mm focal length. The 50mm will come out to about 80mm focal length, but I'm really wondering exactly how different it is going to be to my Yashinon - I suspect it wont be all that different, and that I'll be basically paying to not have to use the M42 adapter.

I am mostly experimenting at the moment, but with a view to doing music videos and capturing footage for live projection at gigs. I do a little bit of photography, but nothing to write home about. So I guess I'm after a good all-rounder. Don't want to spend too much money.

Alternatively, is there anything else smallish that I should look at getting for video - I don't care about sound recording, but what about various filters and what not? I have some basic ND filters I got off Ebay that do the trick, but I'm sure I could expand that side of things too.

/camera n00b
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd stick with the kit lens. Only if you spend serious 'L' series money will you see a marked improvement. The speed of the lens can be compensated for by using a higher ISO setting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Oh I should've probably mentioned, I way prefer using the Yashinon to the kit lens. It has really nice bokeh! This is the kinda arty-pretentious wank that I am interested in creating!!

Just a shot of the missus walking along Brighton pier on a sunny afternoon! Some basic colour grading done in post.
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3315
    edited August 2013
    if you are looking at getting into video the 40mm STM is tuned for that with its silent motor, although I only ever MF when shooting video..

the 50mm 1.8 is by far the best IQ you will ever see spending less than £200, and considering for can pick one up around £65 its a true bargain..

shooting video is more about the accessories than the camera and lens, look at harnesses and focus mechs, basically anything that means you are not actually touching the camera when shooting.

@richardhomer totally disagree, look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which can be had around £180-£220, a huge improvement on the kit lens in every way, IQ, speed, focusing, contrast..
    At the risk of sounding like an even bigger n00b... "focus mechs" ???
  • Drew_fx said:
    At the risk of sounding like an even bigger n00b... "focus mechs" ???
    sorry, the follow focus wheels so instead of touching your lens to MF you are turning a wheel off camera..

Ohhhhh I see! 
  • bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    I've got the 50mm 1.8 on my 600d. Seriously the best 100 quid I've spent. The lower aperture may not be necessary though for video and on the crop sensor the 40mm would make a better addition. And portability is a bonus with the pancake!

I know my uncle had used the 50mm for video with some pretty good results. I haven't myself though.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Get the 50 1.8. It will change the way you do everything. Yes the wider aperture is great but stop it down to 2 or 2.8 and its super sharp. The plastic fantastic rules!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also bear in mind that on the crop sensor it will be closer to 85mm. Not brilliant for video, you'd be better with a 35 or wider but the 50 is awesome for the money.
    I think I'm leaning towards the 40mm, if only for the reason that I already have a 50mm and I am pretty happy with it. No, it isn't a Canon lens, but it does look pretty nice. 40mm would make my setup a bit more versatile.
    Let us know what is like if you do get it. I need something a bit wider too. :D
  • bntylr said:
     And portability is a bonus with the pancake!
    you want to switch to Pentax then, here is my 40mm

edited August 2013
    Still one of my fav shots of my boy taken with the 50 1.8 and a 550D.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/photo_zps66cec96f.jpg
    strumjoughlamps;17199" said:
    bntylr said:

And portability is a bonus with the pancake!

you want to switch to Pentax then, here is my 40mm

Basically a lens cap!
    That's awesome. How is the image quality?

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5575
    I have that Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens.
    And no camera to put it on.
    What are the chances???
  • bntylr said:
    Basically a lens cap!
    That's awesome. How is the image quality?

about as good as it gets really, Pentax lenses are generally very good, even there kit lens at the very least match CaNikons offerings, but then have the added bonus of being weather resistant..

the K-5II & DA*50-135 2.8 was the reason I sold up my Canon 1dsmk2 and various L lenses... the DA*50-135 2.8 is unbeatable in every way IMO and has been my wedding workhorse since I got it..

pic of said lens taken with the 40mm

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited August 2013

I work as a photographer and have a fair collection of pricier lens, however the 50mm f1.8 is by far the best value for money lens around.   Other than people, a large part of my work in the past, and a fair amount presently is photographing horses running free and up close - not your 400mm zoom from behind the fence job. During this work I have dropped my camera twice and both times the bodies survived but I busted the 50mm. It was £69 to replace so no tears and in any situation where there is a risk of damage I wouldn't use anything else.  I really don't think you can loose with it and I'd recommend it to anybody amateur or pro on IQ and cost.  Yes it's made of plastic but I did have a f1.4 at one stage and the IQ was either equal or stronger in the f1.8 and I can go through 7 or 8 of them before you are getting to equal cost. 

EDIT - I should point out that despite being plastic it doesn't just fall apart and with care, respect and hopefully avoiding a ton or Ardennais horse it will last as well as any other lens

Also remember on your 650 you are actually purchasing and 80mm lens in the 50mm f1.8.  I have both full frame and crop sensor and at anything thing above f2.8ish it's superb on any body.  On a crop sensor in a smallish room it's brilliant for headshots and portraits but you'll need a bit of extra space for full body and group shots.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  •  
    Pentax lenses are generally very good, even there kit lens at the very least match CaNikons offerings, but then have the added bonus of being weather resistant..

Prior to digital I only ever used Pentax, then when digital first emerged I got sucked in to buying a Canon - I still miss Pentax - I always felt a little bit surer about the quality of Pentax products.  Maybe it's familiarity or maybe it's first love syndrome.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Is that Pentax pancake an M42 adapter?
  • Drew_fx said:
    Is that Pentax pancake an M42 adapter?
    No its K-af mount