Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboarders who DONT have a Delay pedal on their board ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have a Deluxe Memory Man TT on most of the time, but I keep the blend down, and use it as a pre-amp. So, no delay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited January 2018
    If you’re gigging covers you’re going to need a delay at some point 
  • timmysoft said:
    I don’t even have a board any more, no delay, no verb, nothing. It’s just amp and guitar and it’s liberating.

i find delay a bit “cliche” now, I think it’s become over used by people with no imagination or desire to inspire. Can’t write a verse part, easy, slap three notes down with a delay, can’t get the speed of the solo right, fuck it, loads of delay. It should be called DeLAZY. 
    Nothing worse than an ex-smoker...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2018
    Spring reverb addict here. Not a fan of Edgy delays, never have been. 

I'm mostly non-delay at the moment but just... can't... quite... kick the slapback habit. A well set-up Scotty Moore-type sound, possibly dialled back a bit, is SUCH a nice flavour, and useful far beyond rock'n'roll '50s scenarios - it's great for anything from scronky faux jazz to fuzzy alt-country. 

So, while I use a grunty, flea-scratching caveman setting, the ol' echo box is still there. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    It's only the past 2ish years I've started using delay (out of about 19 years of playing). I can easily go without it and none of my playing relies on it, but it's nice to have. Currently set for a fun over the top slapback sound which I prefer over a more subtle ambient delay!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Slimbert said:
    I only recently re-discovered delay and truth be told, I'm quite enjoying it but reverb comes from the room you're playing in...reverb pedals are pointless.

If you want to sound like you're playing in a church...then go play in a church. There's free wine and biscuits too!
    Well that's the silliest comment I have heard in a long time :) so if I want to record and need some reverb I have to go to a church and mic up the whole room to get the ambiance, have a listen to most songs, reverb is needed either on drums vox or guitars, it's hugely important 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I'm not especially a delay fan ,certainly not the U2 type but for Rockabilly /Country a bit of Slapback is essential and reverb just doesn't cut it for such a purpose.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    I could do without one, to be honest. I like them for big, psychey spacey sounds but only do it once or twice a set.
  • Fuengi said: 
    I'm using delay less and less but never turn off my RV6. Really tempted by the Talisman, from what I've heard it sounds incredible. 
    andy martin from pgs did a demo that blew me away, i simply had to have one.
    -the PGS talisman demo really is fantastic. I'd buy one but I know from experience I don't use Reverb enough to justify the expense. 
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    edited January 2018
    Slimbert said:
    I only recently re-discovered delay and truth be told, I'm quite enjoying it but reverb comes from the room you're playing in...reverb pedals are pointless.

If you want to sound like you're playing in a church...then go play in a church. There's free wine and biscuits too!
    Well that's the silliest comment I have heard in a long time so if I want to record and need some reverb I have to go to a church and mic up the whole room to get the ambiance, have a listen to most songs, reverb is needed either on drums vox or guitars, it's hugely important 
    Bit too early on a Sunday for you, is it?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Slimbert said:
    Slimbert said:

Well that's the silliest comment I have heard in a long time so if I want to record and need some reverb I have to go to a church and mic up the whole room to get the ambiance, have a listen to most songs, reverb is needed either on drums vox or guitars, it's hugely important 
    Just going to have to paraphrase here but when they did the Phil X / Bon Jovi rig rundown the reporter chap asked what he used for reverb and Phil waved his arms around in  the stadium and said all this. 
    I don’t quite understand the always bit of reverb on approach for playing live as it’s completely lost, big Dick Dale levels or something a bit different like modulated reverb super fine. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Slimbert said:
    Slimbert said:

Just going to have to paraphrase here but when they did the Phil X / Bon Jovi rig rundown the reporter chap asked what he used for reverb and Phil waved his arms around in  the stadium and said all this. 
    I don’t quite understand the always bit of reverb on approach for playing live as it’s completely lost, big Dick Dale levels or something a bit different like modulated reverb super fine. 

I'll get serious for a minute instead of jokingly suggesting people go use an actual church if they want church style reverb seen as this joke was completely missed by some...

When I play at low volumes at home it's either through a Line 6 Pod XT using headphones or through a half stack on very low volume.

If it's the headphones, I'll add just a touch of room reverb on the Pod because the headphones sound very dead. There's absolutely no natural ambient reverb.

For pretty much every other scenario, there is natural ambient room reverb and so the reverb is switched off.

In a rehearsal room, in a live venue, in a recording studio etc...there's always natural ambient noise.

Might not be enough for some people, but it's always been enough for me. I find reverb pointless unless you're in a situation where you're bypassing paying through a speaker and therefore missing out on the rooms natural ambient reverb.

Having said that if someone likes over the top reverb or needs more to create a certain sound then crack on. I'm not your boss!

As Phil X mentioned (I think I've seen him say it myself), I've never understood people who play a large venue and don't turn the reverb down or even completely off...you do realise that your lovely reverb effects sound like complete mush now you aren't in your bedroom or rehearsal room...don't you?

I leant plenty of tips and tricks from very busy touring musicians over several years and hardly any of those guys have their reverb turned on outside a guitar solo. Some did but not many. A few have reverb pedals on their boards because those boards play all kinds of venues but in decent sized venues very little verb is used and most of the time those pedals stay switched of for the entire show. It just isn't needed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Slimbert said:
    Slimbert said:
    Slimbert said:

I'll get serious for a minute instead of jokingly suggesting people go use an actual church if they want church style reverb seen as this joke was completely missed by some...

When I play at low volumes at home it's either through a Line 6 Pod XT using headphones or through a half stack on very low volume.

If it's the headphones, I'll add just a touch of room reverb on the Pod because the headphones sound very dead. There's absolutely no natural ambient reverb.

For pretty much every other scenario, there is natural ambient room reverb and so the reverb is switched off.

In a rehearsal room, in a live venue, in a recording studio etc...there's always natural ambient noise.

Might not be enough for some people, but it's always been enough for me. I find reverb pointless unless you're in a situation where you're bypassing paying through a speaker and therefore missing out on the rooms natural ambient reverb.

Having said that if someone likes over the top reverb or needs more to create a certain sound then crack on. I'm not your boss!

As Phil X mentioned (I think I've seen him say it myself), I've never understood people who play a large venue and don't turn the reverb down or even completely off...you do realise that your lovely reverb effects sound like complete mush now you aren't in your bedroom or rehearsal room...don't you?

I leant plenty of tips and tricks from very busy touring musicians over several years and hardly any of those guys have their reverb turned on outside a guitar solo. Some did but not many. A few have reverb pedals on their boards because those boards play all kinds of venues but in decent sized venues very little verb is used and most of the time those pedals stay switched of for the entire show. It just isn't needed!
    I remember the thing that convinced me was I played a gig and the guitarist in the other band borrowed my amp. He asked if he could turn the reverb up and I said yes and he thought it was much better. I didn't tell him the reverb didn't actually work.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @EricTheWeary haha brilliant! 
  • @timmysoft it's great isn't it, unfortunately I don't have the right amp for that anymore :(
  • I’m more of a reverb kinda guy. I too had a Hall of Fame but upgraded recently to an EHX Cathedral. In a totally different league. 

I had had a TC Alter Ego. Never used it and sold it months later at a loss. That was my one and only venture into delay. 
  • I don't have a delay pedal on my board - I have two, or sometimes even three. And a reverb. But then I play a lot of psych and space rock stuff, so I want that swirly mush thing where you can't tell for sure whether it's a guitar or a spaceship ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've got a delay pedal on my board but it's just for messing about with at home. I don't think I've ever used it live.