Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Silly reasons you use to justify buying another guitar.

What's Hot

Comments

• if i dont buy it...................someone else will, and you wouldnt want that to happen
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • if i dont buy it...................someone else will, and you wouldnt want that to happen
    The best reason I've seen so far.

Also, logic from me goes in this order:
    1. It suits a better style (I might want to play country, so obviously I need at least ONE telecaster)
    2. I can have a very similar guitar in different tuning (I don't want to keep adjusting the neck/action)
    3. I might need a spare when I'm gigging (in the case that I have two similar guitars in the same tuning).

A few caveats:
    1. I don't need a different guitar for the styles I want to learn. The fact I don't learn any new styles is moot (I can't play country, but would like to).
    2. I have a guitar in Eb, and drop C. See point one
    3. I haven't gigged properly in _years_

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I want a guitar with 1 pickup, because I don't like the fact that I'm not using the neck pickup on my 2 pickup guitars...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    I have to buy a maple necked guitar due to CITES and not being able to take my rosewood necked guitar abroad ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    if i dont buy it...................someone else will, and you wouldnt want that to happen

When I hear a particular model has been discontinued, I often get an urge to buy one "because you might never get a chance again"... even if I had no interest at all when they were piled high in every guitar shop in the land.

It's some kind of collector/hoarder instinct.  I try to resist.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2944
    You lot are way better than me at this. I find I really hard to justify guitar expenditure at the minute unless I've sold something to make room in the budget for it :(
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    The immediate drop in the £ after the Brexit vote made vintage guitars, where the market is principally traded in $, instantly cheaper in the UK if they had been bought in UK currency prior to the vote. 
    That inescapable logic earned me '62 and '64 Jazz basses, and a '66 Tele.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm buying a new guitar because my current humbucker equipped guitar has 24 frets and I want one with 22. I think that's a good reason but some may find it silly.

Similar to the op, a reason I'd get a new acoustic is to have my current one strung and tuned for Nashville tuning.

On the other hand, when PRS released an SE Custom 24 with a blue body and maple fretboard I thought it was one of the nicest looking guitars I'd seen but just couldn't justify getting two of the same guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    McToot said:
    Matches the carpet, colour scheme and sofa in the front room. Officially sanctioned by Mrs McToot (I was even congratulated on the match):

I also want a Jackson.
    I need a Jackson...
    This post reminds me of that.
  • I used to come up with lots of silly reasons. A little while ago, I had the realization that the only valid reason to get a guitar, ever, is "I want it, and I've got the cash". Doesn't have to serve any other purpose than that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    edited January 2018
    ive just bought a PRS ME1 purely for the braz rosewood neck and the cites thing  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    ive just bought a PRS ME1 purely for the braz rosewood neck and the cites thing  
    and the fact that they are mighty fine guitars - I've had mine over 10 years now - probably my favourite PRS
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I usually use “cosmic ordering” to get any guitar.

The other day I asked to cosmos for a new strat. The following day I went and bought one!...

Just ask the cosmos and it’ll deliver!!!! :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ive just bought a PRS ME1 purely for the braz rosewood neck and the cites thing  
    and the fact that they are mighty fine guitars - I've had mine over 10 years now - probably my favourite PRS
    Indeed, i might as well try and make a few quid whilst enjoying it as well  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    edited January 2018
    poopot said:
    I usually use “cosmic ordering” to get any guitar.

The other day I asked to cosmos for a new strat. The following day I went and bought one!...

Just ask the cosmos and it’ll deliver!!!!

Thank you Noel Edmonds.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    "The cosmos" usually tells me I have other things to spend my hard-earned cash on!  There are always things to do in the house, things to buy, wife and kids to be kept in the manner to which they've become accustomed :)
    2 electrics and a cheap acoustic is all I can justify right now.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7871
    aord43 said:
    "The cosmos" usually tells me I have other things to spend my hard-earned cash on!  There are always things to do in the house, things to buy, wife and kids to be kept in the manner to which they've become accustomed :)
    Y'know. I told the cosmos, "no kids". Now I'm all by myself..... :' (

Haha, actually upstairs by myself. Wife is downstairs with the pet cleaning and I'm just about to plug an awesome guitar into some new pedals. Sod kids! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    aord43 said:

Haha, actually upstairs by myself. Wife is downstairs with the pet cleaning and I'm just about to plug an awesome guitar into some new pedals. Sod kids! 

I've bought a couple of basses " for my son".........
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited January 2018
    GuyR said:
    aord43 said:
    "The cosmos" usually tells me I have other things to spend my hard-earned cash on!  There are always things to do in the house, things to buy, wife and kids to be kept in the manner to which they've become accustomed

I bought my the fiancé a squier telecaster a few years ago for her birthday.
    best present I ever bought myself as it got me back playing. 

She never played it then she said recently she wanted to try again with an acoustic. ‘Good idea let’s go to guitarguitar immediatley’ 
    She didn’t fall for my plan to buy a Martin though. 
    adamm82 said:
    GuyR said:
    aord43 said:
    "The cosmos" usually tells me I have other things to spend my hard-earned cash on!  There are always things to do in the house, things to buy, wife and kids to be kept in the manner to which they've become accustomed

I bought my the fiancé a squier telecaster a few years ago for her birthday.
    best present I ever bought myself as it got me back playing. 

She never played it then she said recently she wanted to try again with an acoustic. ‘Good idea let’s go to guitarguitar immediatley’ 
    She didn’t fall for my plan to buy a Martin though. 
    My son has ukeleles. He bought his girlfriend one for Christmas. No need for genetic testing there....