FX you like, FX you don't - what to buy, what to avoid?

What's Hot
LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
edited January 2018 in FX
I've got my eye on a chorus.
It sounds alright I think.

Lovepedal Butterfly Kiss

and I saw something with the Slash name on that I didn't see what all the fuss was about.

MXR Slash Octave Fuzz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Chorus, my most hated effect. Just don't get me started on chorus and how it's ruined almost every recording it's been used on.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I hate od and distortion pedals.. barely revamped circuits touted as innovation.

But my most hated pedal is OBNE procession. Shit reverb. Shit fx. No mix knob for fx to verb level. Shit pedal.

I also hate 3pdt switches and the true bypass revolution. Any pedal that is gooped.

Fave current effect is either meris' poly moon or mercury 7. Both pedals are the kind you turn on, play and the day passes. Together a dream. 
  • 2 posts in and so much hate...

bring the love people
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Chorus, my most hated effect. Just don't get me started on chorus and how it's ruined almost every recording it's been used on.
    What about live shows?
    This is chorus, no?

Or is this delay?
    (The EDS-1275).
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    Well either way, I'm wanting a chorus to achieve the above, more or less. (I mean... IDK if it'll pan out like that/work, but, IDK, seems that a chorus is a step in the right direction for that).
  • Fave current effect is either meris' poly moon or mercury 7. Both pedals are the kind you turn on, play and the day passes. Together a dream. 
    Angelo is a genius. Also love their Ottobit.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    Fave current effect is either meris' poly moon or mercury 7. Both pedals are the kind you turn on, play and the day passes. Together a dream. 
    Angelo is a genius. Also love their Ottobit.
    Can't disagree. By far and away the most fun pedals I've owned. The Ottobit is a bit harder to tame but does very cool things.

All 3 are in a stereo loop out of my helix. (Such an awesome helix feature btw)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    What I like - Boss, Ibanez 9 series, DOD, Digitech, Guyatone, Pearl, Yamaha... but mostly Boss.

What I hate - I will no longer own any pedal with a 3PDT or any other mechanical footswitch in the audio path. Crap technology, it was extinct thirty years ago until some idiot or other revived it. I'm not a big fan of pedals with soft switches that mimic them either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steersteer Frets: 1188
    What was the question? 

You want to know about Chorus pedals, or you want to know what it is in life that we hate? 
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    steer said:
    What was the question? 

You want to know about Chorus pedals, or you want to know what it is in life that we hate? 
    That's me and my whole chorus fancy/want there...

What products do people like? Not like?

Another one I don't recommend is the Free Speech Pedal from Danelectro...
    I've had two... Both broke very easily/didn't last long... and it was the same part, those little microphones.
    Parts nearly impossible to source, in this day and age (with the internet) in this location/London (centre of the universe)*
    * = citation needed.
    Fun pedal, but only good (as far as I can see) is if your amp can't run a Heil Talkbox.

• In my defence, the 2nd one was a gift I got in 2011 from an admirer and wasn't something I went out and bought.
  • Favourite line of effects - Moog moogerfooger pedals. All of them are brilliant (although not all on guitar)

DigiTech/DOD have been brilliant lately.

Empress always seem pretty solid. I've had a lot of them too.

Mooer - brilliant bang for the money, dubious quality aside (pay for what you get etc)

Ehx - for always innovating and pushing boundaries
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I like yellow pedals but I don't really like bright pink ones.

I would avoid buying pedals that I don't like the sound of. Sometimes I DO buy pedals that I don't like the sound of because they are cheap and I am silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I loved this one.
    The DigiTech Grunge Distortion pedal.

I forget what ever happened to my one in the end.
    I liked it though.

edited January 2018
    Favourite line of effects - Moog moogerfooger pedals. All of them are brilliant (although not all on guitar)

DigiTech/DOD have been brilliant lately.

Empress always seem pretty solid. I've had a lot of them too.

Mooer - brilliant bang for the money, dubious quality aside (pay for what you get etc)

Ehx - for always innovating and pushing boundaries
    Can't argue with any of that, though I do wish EHX would up the QC a bit, I've had a few fail over the years, they do innovate for the most part.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Sassafras said:
    Is that a chorus of disapproval I hear?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• But my most hated pedal is OBNE procession. Shit reverb. Shit fx. No mix knob for fx to verb level. Shit 
    You really hate that pedal with a passion isn't it? :)

But my most hated pedal is OBNE procession. Shit reverb. Shit fx. No mix knob for fx to verb level. Shit 
    Well to be fair it's because I had really high hopes and a specific use in mind. It just didn't do or sound like I wanted. At the time obne were being talked up a lot too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291

But my most hated pedal is OBNE procession. Shit reverb. Shit fx. No mix knob for fx to verb level. Shit 
    Well to be fair it's because I had really high hopes and a specific use in mind. It just didn't do or sound like I wanted. At the time obne were being talked up a lot too.
    Imagine that, a pedal company being talked up. Doesn't seem possible does it?
    Sassafras said:

Imagine that, a pedal company being talked up. Doesn't seem possible does it?
    Yeah and I was naive enough to think that all people on guitar forums knew what they were talking about ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom