FX you like, FX you don't - what to buy, what to avoid?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
    edited January 2018

But my most hated pedal is OBNE procession. Shit reverb. Shit fx. No mix knob for fx to verb level. Shit 
    You really hate that pedal with a passion isn't it?
    Well to be fair it's because I had really high hopes and a specific use in mind. It just didn't do or sound like I wanted. At the time obne were being talked up a lot too.
    Hehe, i know. I had one for a while and thought it was pretty cool. I remember posting about it at the time and i think we disagreed then.

But i still have a chuckle whenever someone brings up the OBNE Procession on this forum, because i know it's only a matter of time before you show up to set matters straight

I think that pedal has become your Fawlty trigger, "He's a balanced and reasonable gentlemen most of the time."
    "Most of time you say?"
    "Yes, just don't mention the bloody Procession!"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    So, my amp has a foot switch / first amp I've owned of the 'can use a foot switch' type, had it now for one and a half years... I'm now wondering, one and a half years of rocking out on it later ... Does this mean then, that I can get my Heil Talk Box on from Dunlop?
    This is like the Holy Grail of voice boxes for me in a world where the Danelectro can't cut it in my possession, it seems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    So, my amp has a foot switch / first amp I've owned of the 'can use a foot switch' type, had it now for one and a half years... I'm now wondering, one and a half years of rocking out on it later ... Does this mean then, that I can get my Heil Talk Box on from Dunlop?
    This is like the Holy Grail of voice boxes for me in a world where the Danelectro can't cut it in my possession, it seems.
    The Talk Box doesn't need a switchable amp - the switch is in the unit itself. It goes between the amp and cabinet, and switches the amp to the internal horn driver in the Talk Box instead of the cab, and the result has to go to the PA via your vocal mic. This is potentially very bad for the amp - you're switching the output under load and into a 'speaker' with an odd impedance.

There's a much better way of doing it, which at least is mentioned in the manual... you need a separate amp, preferably a solid-state power amp, to drive the Talk Box. You connect that to the FX Send of your main amp, so you won't be switching the load on your amp and (unaffected) sound will still come out of the main cab while you're using the Talk Box, although the effect still only comes out of the PA.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    @LesbianWithAGun ;If you want to do the talk box thing, get a rocktron banshee mx 2. None of the heil issues as the amp to drive the talk box is built into the pedal; and it sounds great. 

Then you can play living on a prayer to your hearts content...

But my most hated pedal is OBNE procession. Shit reverb. Shit fx. No mix knob for fx to verb level. Shit 
    You really hate that pedal with a passion isn't it?
    Well to be fair it's because I had really high hopes and a specific use in mind. It just didn't do or sound like I wanted. At the time obne were being talked up a lot too.
    Hehe, i know. I had one for a while and thought it was pretty cool. I remember posting about it at the time and i think we disagreed then.

But i still have a chuckle whenever someone brings up the OBNE Procession on this forum, because i know it's only a matter of time before you show up to set matters straight

I think that pedal has become your Fawlty trigger, "He's a balanced and reasonable gentlemen most of the time."
    "Most of time you say?"
    "Yes, just don't mention the bloody Procession!"

Yeah, you are right - it's always an over reaction on my part. Dunno, it just really pissed me off :) I think it was also the start of the end of my boutique pedal love affair - made me start to question how much of that part of the GAS world is pure nonsense. 

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I loved this one.
    The DigiTech Grunge Distortion pedal.

I forget what ever happened to my one in the end.
    I liked it though.

Think I saw one going second hand on Richtone earlier.... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    I hate auto-wah
    pedal fiend