Elektron Analog Drive

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540
Just noticed that this pedal which was £300+ not long ago is now £175 in Andertons. For ten quid more than a Boss Angry Driver that’s a lot of versatile drive pedal for your money!

Anyone tried one?
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I seem to recollect reading about bugs. A shame, I was interested in the heat version for general application. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339
    Yeah apparently there are issues with it. Hence I think it’s dived sales wise.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616
    I think it actually gets really favourable reviews... the size is the killer for some but it is a LOT of pedal/technology for the money...
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    what are the issues? anyone know? The only thing I recall is that it sounds a bit jack of all trades master of none.
    Midi bugs requiring a complicated software update. 
    Plus no low gain drive and some noise complaints seem to be the main criticism about the sound. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    I would expect that new units are shipped with latest software - negating need for updates for less technically minded ..
    Otherwise confirm  store to do update on NOS? 
    all major online retailers offering reduced price - maybe theres a V2 in pipeline that allows gain staging as an example ? 
    JMP220478 said:
    I would expect that new units are shipped with latest software - negating need for updates for less technically minded ..
    Otherwise confirm  store to do update on NOS? 
    all major online retailers offering reduced price - maybe theres a V2 in pipeline that allows gain staging as an example ? 
    Elektron just refreshed their entire synth line, so would not be surprised. Either new version or discontinued would be a good guess.
    hmm, had a look - update is easy, it's a midi data transfer like Boss ES5/8 
    Upto version 1.5, very minor bug fixes, nothing major and nothing midi fixed since 1.1 to 1.2
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    This plus the new Line 6 HX Effects could be a tidy do it all pedalboard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry, complicated for an analogue Luddite like me.
    lukedlb said:
    Sorry, complicated for an analogue Luddite like me.
    And yet an analogue pedal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Tis a good pedal. Some nice sounds in it and don’t remember low gain being a prob. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Didn’t try midi tho 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

Well I pushed the button and it arrived yesterday. Only had 15 mins with it but first impressions:

It's huge.

It's very simple to use - that's the appeal for me really, tech used in the right places.

There's some great sounds in there - the Big Dist. is a fantastic Marshall-in-a-box to start with and the high gains do big singing leads.

It is pretty gainy - the "klon" has more gain by 9 o'clock on the knob than any klone I've ever used. Still sounds great though.

It's pretty noisy on the high gain settings - will def need a gate to keep it in check.

Overall, I need to spend some more time but I can see this working - basically I want to pair this up with a multi-fx (maybe the new Helix one) as an alternative "do everything" board. My main board is a finely honed and going nowhere but it's very targeted, and this plugs the gaps nicely for those moments I want to break away.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:

Well I pushed the button and it arrived yesterday. Only had 15 mins with it but first impressions:

It's huge.

It's very simple to use - that's the appeal for me really, tech used in the right places.

There's some great sounds in there - the Big Dist. is a fantastic Marshall-in-a-box to start with and the high gains do big singing leads.

It is pretty gainy - the "klon" has more gain by 9 o'clock on the knob than any klone I've ever used. Still sounds great though.

It's pretty noisy on the high gain settings - will def need a gate to keep it in check.

Overall, I need to spend some more time but I can see this working - basically I want to pair this up with a multi-fx (maybe the new Helix one) as an alternative "do everything" board. My main board is a finely honed and going nowhere but it's very targeted, and this plugs the gaps nicely for those moments I want to break away.

This + Helix FX + the 50w Milkman amp thing would be  a very cool rig :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    dindude said:

It's huge.

Or simpler; Boss Ms-3 (configured to send midi changes) & the Electron
    dindude said:

It's huge.

Or simpler; Boss Ms-3 (configured to send midi changes) & the Electron
    The Boss MS isn't an amp. Does it have IRs? IF not it's going to sound a bit odd direct into a PA, hence thinking the Milkman would be a good thing to add..
    Just heard from a gumtree seller that he'll let his go for 150 if anyone is interested.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    lukedlb said:
    Just heard from a gumtree seller that he'll let his go for 150 if anyone is interested.
    Don't think I'd bother with a 2nd hand one of Gumtree if a new one (with warranty and the right to return) can be had for just £25 more.
    Octafish said:
    lukedlb said:
    Don't think I'd bother with a 2nd hand one of Gumtree if a new one (with warranty and the right to return) can be had for just £25 more.
    Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.