Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If you could bring back from the dead.........

What's Hot

Comments

• BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Michael Hedges
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Michael Ronson...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

For me it would be Paul Kossoff. I just love his soulful playing.

Sad to say, as much as I'd love to be able to see him play, if this were possible I suspect he'd be dead again not long after you brought him back. I imagine the same would be true of many of the guitarists who died too young of drug overdoses and suicides.

Bucket said:
    Nick Drake, mainly to let him know that he was right all along, it was just the rest of us that were slow to catch on.
    It's strange - as much as I adore Nick Drake's music, having read about his life I almost can't imagine him having lived any longer.

Tempted to say the same, but I don't know. From the little I know, I'm not sure his death was suicide. 1970s antidepressants were more dangerous than those he'd be given now, and I think his lack of success was a contributing factor to his illness. I think depression is much better understood by the public now, and far less stigmatized too. 

Put him on a modern singer-songwriter tour with a selection of guitars so he didn't have to change tunings on stage, a decent PA system so he could be heard, and maybe a sympathetic co-headliner or support act, use social media to connect him to fans who like his music and things might be different. Or maybe he would have been doomed in any age.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to hear more from Dimebag Darrel ...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    english_bob said:
    Put him on a modern singer-songwriter tour with a selection of guitars so he didn't have to change tunings on stage, a decent PA system so he could be heard, and maybe a sympathetic co-headliner or support act, use social media to connect him to fans who like his music and things might be different. Or maybe he would have been doomed in any age.
    Sounds dismayingly like Ed Sheeran.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    i'd like to be able to hear what Mr Hendrix could do with the delays and reverbs available to us today, that'd be some madass ambient rock going on right there i'm sure
  • Philly_Q said:
    english_bob said:

I'm not sure Nick Drake would ever rap on a song.

A lot about the "sensitive white bloke with a guitar" thing hasn't changed much since the 70s.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    hywelg said:
    ....any guitarist, who would it be and why?

For me it would be Paul Kossoff. I just love his soulful playing.

Sad to say, as much as I'd love to be able to see him play, if this were possible I suspect he'd be dead again not long after you brought him back. I imagine the same would be true of many of the guitarists who died too young of drug overdoses and suicides.

Bucket said:
    Nick Drake, mainly to let him know that he was right all along, it was just the rest of us that were slow to catch on.
    It's strange - as much as I adore Nick Drake's music, having read about his life I almost can't imagine him having lived any longer.

Tempted to say the same, but I don't know. From the little I know, I'm not sure his death was suicide. 1970s antidepressants were more dangerous than those he'd be given now, and I think his lack of success was a contributing factor to his illness. I think depression is much better understood by the public now, and far less stigmatized too. 

Sadly I think Nick Drake would have never been heard of in the modern age, his anxiety about performing would have been a much worse handicap today than it was in the 1960's when you could make a decent living purely out of record sales.  There may even now be some terrific singer songwriters of similar calibre who will never make it because to have any chance of success these days you have to be a performer.  

Nick Drake today certainly would not have been akin to Ed Sheeran who is lucky he was born in 1991 not 1951
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Necromancy.  This thread should be closed.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited January 2018
    MrBump said:
    Necromancy.  This thread should be closed.
    And Then necrobumped on Halloween ...
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587

Honest answer, there are 2.

Big Al

J-Mo

Neither famous, both the guitarists I'd most like to have back.

• StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    Neill said:
    Interesting question - there are some who you think it would just be nice to hear them play again, Albert King, Rory Gallagher, there are others who obviously died too soon and would surely have gone on to even greater things, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly.

Then there are those who satisfy both the above criteria and  mean something to you personally, which is why I would resurrect Mick Ronson, the coolest Yorkshireman ever.  
    Spot on this, was big into the Ziggy era as a lad, and went to see Ronno at Birmingham Town Hall doing Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, he was amazing.
    I love my brick
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Philly_Q said:
    english_bob said:
    Nick Drake would never write the kind of fucking tripe Sheeran comes out with.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Nick Drake is a good shout, more as an all round composer and performer than purely as a guitarist.  Of all the names mentioned he's the one I think could have gone on to make more music as good or better than his best work.

Jimi is an intriguing one, but much as I love his music I have a hard time seeing where he would have gone next.  His late stuff suggests he had exhausted the blues/psychedeila, besides it would have been passe within a year or two.

He was a more extravagant natural talent than your McLaughlins, Metheneys and Scofields but I doubt he'd have been interested in developing the theoretical know-how to really play jazz at the top level, especially when the reward was playing to a small demographic of jazz geeks: hard to come down from rock-god status to that. I would fear a Santana-esque progression, a move towards jazz or jazz-fusion followed a few years later by a reversion to more commercial re-treads of his earlier style, minus the risk-taking, when it didn't work out.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    english_bob said:
    Nick Drake would never write the kind of fucking tripe Sheeran comes out with.
    I'm in no way equating Nick Drake with Ed Sheeran, but if a young Nick Drake emerged today someone would try and sell him to the Sheeran market.  Which isn't to say he'd let that happen.  But it's a different world now. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I was thinking the converse - who would have been more revered if they’d dropped dead at 27? But then I thought  I might look a bit of a dick if I started that Discussion. *

Anyway, Danny Gatton - only really hitting his career and died in dubious circumstances. His recorded catalogue is a bit skimpy so he could have made some more records. 

* I bet we’d get to Clapton within three posts though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'll vote for Kurt Cobain. Stunningly talented songwriter & good guitarist
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Eric Roche. I think he had a long career ahead of him but sadly taken by cancer.

Or Randy Rhoads
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    My best mate, Andy.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Probably SRV, he was my favourite player up until his death, or maybe Gary Moore, who I was a BIG fan of
    I would tend to agree with you on this - obviously a host of great players to pick from

My reservation with G Moore would be him to find a good vocalists, like Jo Bo did with Beth Hart and do a few great covers albums where the guitar comes second to the song and allows him to support the song and express his way in this manner as against full on riffs and solos via his own song writing

As far as SRV, then just more and more of what he already did - maybe there is a limit to what can be achieved in this style, before we grow bored of it, but I can listen to many more tracks before that happens

I could easily add Rory Gallagher, but to be fair he had a good career many great studio and live albums so I have enough of his material to keep me happy for the rest of my life - Yet would have loved to see him live again and again