Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If you could bring back from the dead.........

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14465
    tFB Trader
    Hendrix. Unlike Clapton, I think he would have gravitated away from commercial success and knocked out some interesting records.
    I think Jimi would have gone down the fusion/jazz route (either with or without vocals) as per J Beck and others - We probably saw  a hint of this at the end with Buddy Miles - where he would have gone later then who knows - I think some experimentation would have been obvious then a return to his late 60's era at some date in the future
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Chuck Schuldiner has to be up there too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Got to be Gary Moore for me, and if we're allowed bass guitarists, Chris Squire as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    Hendrix. Unlike Clapton, I think he would have gravitated away from commercial success and knocked out some interesting records.
    I would love to have heard his collab with Bitches era Miles Davis
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23235
    edited January 2018
    proggy said:
    ...and if we're allowed bass guitarists, Chris Squire as well. 
    There are quite a few... Bernard Edwards, Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi, James Dewar, Jaco Pastorius, Gary Thain, Trevor Bolder, Cliff Burton, Lemmy...
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Philly_Q said:
    proggy said:
    There are quite a few... Bernard Edwards, Jack Bruce, Felix Pappalardi, James Dewar, Jaco Pastorius, Gary Thain, Trevor Bolder, Cliff Burton, Lemmy...
    Wow, James Dewar, I'd forgotten about him, and what a voice too. I must dig some Trower out.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    edited January 2018
    nvm
  • SRV, Jimi, or for Bass, maybe Jaco (I know some would find him already partly impenetrable but still) Dimebag is a great shout too.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Well if we're talking bass, then I can go on.

Cliff Burton - Metallica likely wouldn't be super-super-famous, but they might still be credible and making good music.

Jaco - need I explain?

Bernard Edwards - see above

And another guitarist - Robert Dahlqvist from the Hellacopters, who died aged only 40 last year. Very sad.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Phil Lynott without question.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Jeff Hanneman 
    Kurt Cobain
    D Boon
    Randy Rhoads
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Dimebag

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72731
    edited January 2018
    James Honeyman-Scott. Only 25 when he died.

The irony is that if he'd lived we wouldn't have 'Back On The Chain Gang', Chrissie Hynde's best song.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    proggy said:
    Philly_Q said:
    proggy said:
    Wow, James Dewar, I'd forgotten about him, and what a voice too. I must dig some Trower out.
    And don't forget Stone The Crows. Fantastic band saw them live must be 5 or 6 times.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Bucket said:
    Philly_Q said:
    english_bob said:
    Put him on a modern singer-songwriter tour with a selection of guitars so he didn't have to change tunings on stage, a decent PA system so he could be heard, and maybe a sympathetic co-headliner or support act, use social media to connect him to fans who like his music and things might be different. Or maybe he would have been doomed in any age.
    Sounds dismayingly like Ed Sheeran.
    Nick Drake would never write the kind of fucking tripe Sheeran comes out with.
    I'm in no way equating Nick Drake with Ed Sheeran, but if a young Nick Drake emerged today someone would try and sell him to the Sheeran market.  Which isn't to say he'd let that happen.  But it's a different world now. 

I never did understand this with music fans. If your favourite artist can make the music they want to make and have bazillions of people like it and give them money for it, why would you wish obscurity on them?

Besides, properly promoting your artists, putting them on a proper tour with the right equipment to make sure they can play their best and people can enjoy it is hardly the epitome of sucking corporate cock, is it? It's just competent management.

At least part of the reason Drake never connected to a significant audience in his lifetime was that touring was the way to do that, and he wasn't very good at it. He was very shy, which in itself isn't enough to derail an entire career, but he toured with just one guitar, and had to regularly switch between at least three or four different tunings between songs, all in an era when acoustic guitar amplification was pretty dismal. Tell me you'd have recognized the guy for the talent he was when you could barely hear him over the crowd, and half his set was spent mumbling and tuning up. Give the same performer a couple of spare guitars, a roadie who knows when to bring the next guitar out, a proper PA, maybe a small band, and you've got a whole different ball game.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    Could I suggest the OP edits the title to include ‘guitarist’ or ‘musician’? The current one might cause distress for some members....
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5027
    Bucket said:
    Well if we're talking bass, then I can go on.

Cliff Burton - Metallica likely wouldn't be super-super-famous, but they might still be credible and making good music.

Jaco - need I explain?

Bernard Edwards - see above

And another guitarist - Robert Dahlqvist from the Hellacopters, who died aged only 40 last year. Very sad.
    Metallica were big already. However they may not have have been quite as big as they became. Certainly Justice would have sounded better and, who knows, maybe Cliff would have got Lars to play slow music properly. 
  • Stuart Adamson. My first guitar hero and a top bloke by all accounts.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Stuart Adamson. My first guitar hero and a top bloke by all accounts.
    Yes that's a great call - vastly underrated on all counts.  A real innovator and would have had a lot more to give if he could have kept his drinking under control.  That Raphaels album, Stuart's last project, is quality all the way through.