Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you go to a Buckingham Palace Garden Party?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
I've been sorting out stuff for the top brass recently at work. The guy in question is always very appreciative as I put myself out massively at times. Anyway, he rang up today to say thanks for all my efforts and offered me an invite for two at a Buckingham Palace Garden Party. I thought it was very nice of him but I declined. I am totally not the sort of person to go to something like that, I'd better not tell Mrs A or I'll be in trouble!

My boss thought I was mad to turn it down. Would you go hob-nobbing with posh people?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4633
    Will there be cake? hell yeah i'd go, sure be better than spending a day in my humdrum town
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I’d go, sounds like it’d be something a bit different and no doubt the free chow would be decent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I completely get why you wouldn’t go (I wouldn’t), however you would’ve found that most folk there would just be regular Joes invited to a Garden Party such as yourself. Second part of your question - I mix with ‘posh’ people all the time. Just people. No particular failings or heroics - same as anyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I should add that I'm terminally antisocial and can't stand any kind of gatherings except close family. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4633
    axisus said:
    I should add that I'm terminally antisocial and can't stand any kind of gatherings except close family. 
    axisus, that is pretty obvious to most of us here
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    edited January 2018
    My dad went to one about twenty or so years ago when he was on a government committee.

He said it was dreadful - basically you spend your whole time trying to find anything to say to a bunch of people you have nothing in common with, probably can't stand, and who have no interest in what you do or why you're there (or vice versa). You probably won't get to meet any of the royal family, if you're even interested in that.

And the tea is the worst in the known universe. I can't remember what he said about the food but I doubt it was much better.

So no, I would not go either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited January 2018

No. Wisdom awarded for dodging a bullet.

I'm not one of these who's for abolition of the royals, but I wouldn't want to grovel at their gate thank you very much. (Note I don't mean actually being introduced to them, just the act of grovelling on their property puts me off.)

• StavrosStavros Frets: 349
    Where there is a choice, as here, no one should feel obliged to do anything they don’t want to do, free society and all that.

I would probably go as I’m a nosy bastard, but you clearly wouldn’t feel at all comfortable going, so respect to you for saying no.
    I love my brick
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    DesVegas said:
    Will there be cake? 
    Battenburg obvs
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Yes, I used to print the invitations in the 1990s and the majority of attendees (who in turn became our customers) that I managed to speak to afterwards thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't go personally, garden parties like that are not like real parties and I think... What are the chances the royals would come to a party I was arranging? To be fair though I care about the Royals about as much as I care for onions in food, as long as I don't encounter them I don't resent their existence. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Ultimately it's your choice. My mum went years ago. She did a load of voluntary social work, and was so good at it that the Local Council used to hand their difficult cases on to her to sort out. She enjoyed going.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Wis'd. I'm fascinated by royal history but the hob-nobbing makes me shiver at the thought.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Reminds me of the joke - 
    The East Cheam Bowling Club were invited to Buckingham Palace to meet the Queen. They all line up and Her Majesty walks in. One of the club, Old Joe, immediately dashes forward and frantically starts licking the back of her head. All hell breaks loose. Old Joe is lead off by Security. The Captain of the club apologises - “Very sorry about that, Ma’am - it’s just that he’s only ever seen you on a stamp before.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    I have to go, I live there and everyone expects to see me.  I do wish they wouldn’t bow and curtsy all the time, I’d just prefer to talk about beer and guitars.  One would be surprised how many of us who live there are actually anarchists, but one has to act the part ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I would.
    We can only bring down the Establishment from within!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    For all the reasons that people are saying not to go , are all the reasons you should go.

you don’t have to bow and scrape, and everyone else is just a person like you.  You go for interest, because it is different, because you can meet some other people who are probably really nice and normal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I wouldn’t.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• camfcamf Frets: 1199
    My missus and I declined too. I'd be happy to see an end to the whole royal family business so it seemed the worst sort of hypocracy to go along. Pretty easy choice really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never In a million years. My wife made us go to the gates last year and I felt sick at the vulgarity of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom