Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Football pundits

What's Hot
I no longer watch the build up to games, half time banter or post game analysis - the players and managers are media trained to within an inch of their lives and utterly unable to express themselves. Its unspeakably dull. 

But the 'pundits' are just intolerable. Its getting to the point were I have to watch some games with the sound off. I am Andy Townsend? Sweet mother of god - he can hardly string a sentence together let alone discuss football in an insightful or analytical manner. These 'experts' just trot out the same tired old bulls*t and appears utterly incapable of original thought. Piranhas - making a living off the bloated corpse of the once beautiful game. 

Its depressing to see that death grip tv has on the game is increasing with the introduction of artificial referee. 

F*ck!!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited January 2018
    I watch MOTD on iPlayer, on Sunday morning, half an hour after the programme starts on television.  That way I can have an extra half hour in bed, watch the footy, FFwd the pundits and it still finishes at 10am.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    I listen to most games on the radio.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    Yes we still have Townsend but look on the bright side; we don't have to put up with Ron Atkinson or Andy Gray anymore. 

I'm with you though, there are plenty of people who can speak with knowledge and insight into the game that haven't previously been players. I think a basic competency to be allowed to be a broadcaster should be the ability to articulate an original thought at the very least. Townsend in particular rubs me up the wrong way. If he's on I listen to the radio commentary.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited January 2018
    Clashman said:
    I listen to most games on the radio.
    This too...  a habit from my childhood where my Dad and Grandad would go to home matches and listen to away ones at home or in the car, on the radio. 

The commentators on 5 Live are IMHO, more bearable than Alan 'keeper's got no chance's Shearer and thankfully, t Live commentators usually find a way of cutting Lily Savage off with game commentary.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    i cant stand it when the pundits are watching a game and then describing whats happening when theyre still in the studio watching it on the telly. FFS Turn the telly round and let us watch it! You can piss off home then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    I usually watch MOTD and then just some ‘big’ games but I pretty much avoid the manager interviews ( pointless to annoying) although I’ll watch the analysis if there’s a bit that’s interested me. Probably have my iPad on my lap so if there’s a lengthy bit of pundetary going on I’m probably on here talking about delay pedals. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I used to listen to 5 Live games a lot, it's only when I watched a game and listened to the commentary on 5 Live at the same time I realised how inaccurate the commentary was! 

Alan Green is the most self centered, biased commentator there is! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Alan Green is really annoying. He just likes to complain about as much as possible.

Pundits - don't mind Gary Neville and Souness. Jenas is OK too.  I love the game, but sadly the people involved in and around it (players, manager, pundits) are generally overgrown schoolboy morons. Particularly players who by and large need to grow up a bit.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    The best football pundit has always been Ron Manager.

"Jumpers for goalposts. What's the score...17-12? Car stereos for goalposts. Mother's calling you for tea - it's baked beans! Marvellous."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:
    Alan Green is really annoying. He just likes to complain about as much as possible.
    Alan Green is the worst pundit around.

IMO, TV pundits are far superior to him and other R5 ones.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Snap said:

I think he'a actually mellowed quite a bit, he seems to have gone into some kind of semi-retirement and it's cheered him up.

A few years ago he used to spend entire games moaning about a bloke in front of him wearing a hat, or people coming back to their seats a minute late at half time.

I don't have access to your Skys or your BT Sports, just your Match of the Days and your 5 Lives.  Much prefer the radio to the TV, personally.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    ...shame that Jimmy Armfield died... Just listened to this look back at his career but to be honest he was largely inarticulate and a bit annoying as he held back in his answer on everything that was asked of him... Still end of an era nonetheless...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05vpwq6
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14676
    tFB Trader
    Before he went on Sky, the guy I thought would be bad and opinionated would be Gary Neville - Yet far better than I ever expected - his knowledge of the game is very good

Can't stand Robbie Savage

must admit I hear little on radio 5 now so will pass no judgement

Must admit that as an over view, the cricket pundits are far better to listen to - inc the overseas guys when touring inc Shane Warne and Ricky Ponting etc and all the 5 Live Team are good - I even like Mr Boycott in doses
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504

I don't watch a lot of football these days, but one who is utterly dreadful is Michael Owen on BT Sports.  He has an annoying voice, and talks utter rubbish.

Robbie Savage is not far behind.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2648
    edited January 2018
    I watch MOTD every week and also listen to 5 live. I quite like Shearer, Wrighty and Jenas.  On the radio I can tolerate Alan Green to an extent but Steve Claridge does my head in. 

Robbie Savage is the worst though, although I’m sure he makes controversial statements just to get people calling in.

• Ex-professionals will be afraid of upsetting their mates or alienating future employers, if they are thinking of becoming managers. If we are going to have analysts I would prefer guys like Marcotti or Tim Vickery who seem to have a much knowledge of what is going on around the world.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    cruxiform said:

Robbie Savage is the worst though, although I’m sure he makes controversial statements just to get people calling in.

I listen to R5 on Saturdays on the way to gigs and I'm pretty sure he does this. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 342
    The one I really cannot bear is Glenn Hoddle on telly, he comes out with absolute shite, would rather watch with the sound down!
    I love my brick
  • The best thing about the BBC's coverage of the World Cup or the Euros is that there's nearly always a Red Button option that does away with the commentary and just leaves you with the stadium noise.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.