‘All Together Now’ BBC 1

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Sassafras said:
    darthed1981 said:
    Horne and Corden.
    The only Horne in British comedy who matters died on 14 February 1969. 
    Thanks to Radio 4 Extra he can still be heard, I think, on Mondays.
    Great comedy that's stood the test of time better than nearly all other 60s comedy shows. Take It From Here is the other one.
    I listened to RTH when I was a kid in the 60s and found it funny but all a wee bit odd. Listening to the re-runs makes you realise quite how close to the bone it is, let alone how outrageous it must’ve been for it’s time. Brilliant stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    boogieman said:
    AlexC said:
    Surely it can't be too long before the licence fee is abolished? I probably watch about 30 hrs of BBC programmes a year. Seems to me that by chasing viewers (lowest common denominator junk) thay're actually driving most people away and killing off what they used to be good at - drama, documentaries, fearless journalism, etc.
    How would they fund the bbc? Ads? I’d rather have it ad-free and pay the licence fee frankly. Not sure they’d make enough income from purely selling merchandise. 

For all the Beeb bashing they still put out a lot of good stuff amongst a relatively small amount of dross. If you want to see how really bad tv is done, go to the US. Some of their product is good, but it’s drowned in a tide of constant ads. The other 90% is just garbage. 
    How SHOULD they fund the BBC?

Easy. Subscription.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    darthed1981 said:
    Horne and Corden.
    The only Horne in British comedy who matters died on 14 February 1969. 
    https://s26.postimg.org/r22a2l43t/297.jpg

...but seriously, yes Round The Horne was both a British classic and also a really edgy show, especially in it's use of gay slang, genuinely subversive in its own way
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    fandango said:
    boogieman said:
    AlexC said:
    Surely it can't be too long before the licence fee is abolished? I probably watch about 30 hrs of BBC programmes a year. Seems to me that by chasing viewers (lowest common denominator junk) thay're actually driving most people away and killing off what they used to be good at - drama, documentaries, fearless journalism, etc.
    How would they fund the bbc? Ads? I’d rather have it ad-free and pay the licence fee frankly. Not sure they’d make enough income from purely selling merchandise. 

For all the Beeb bashing they still put out a lot of good stuff amongst a relatively small amount of dross. If you want to see how really bad tv is done, go to the US. Some of their product is good, but it’s drowned in a tide of constant ads. The other 90% is just garbage. 
    How SHOULD they fund the BBC?

Easy. Subscription.
    Then it just becomes Netflix, nothing wrong with that, but it isn't a public service broadcaster any more.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...