Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Smart Tv's

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Thanks for chipping in y'all! Will probably go for a cheaper one, I've got a firestick and that's been plugged into a £50 luxor TV for years, up until now I haven't been bothered with all super hd all singing all dancing stuff. 
    I think it's a slight case of TV gas.. I'm researching all this stuff and the internet is telling me I need it. 

So bollocks to this! I'll get a basic reliable package and continue with firestick. 

Fanks! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The only external box I know of that does iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon, ITV Hub, All4 and C5 as well as Plex is Roku. All the others have at least one of those services missing .
    @vasselmeyer I have a Nvidia Shield android box..  I think I have all those and more.. although some like BT sport have to be side-loaded.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just plug my Xbox in to the tv, and the TiVo box into the Xbox. I now have a smart tv that can be voice controlled. 

Genuinely can't see the point of smart tvs when there are so many other gadgets which add everything you need to a normal tv in the same way. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2099
    Does that workLegionreturns said:
    I just plug my Xbox in to the tv, and the TiVo box into the Xbox. I now have a smart tv that can be voice controlled. 

Genuinely can't see the point of smart tvs when there are so many other gadgets which add everything you need to a normal tv in the same way. 
     Does that work with Sky box as well ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Yeah Xbox one has through tv control

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • bloodandtears said: know
    The only external box I know of that does iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon, ITV Hub, All4 and C5 as well as Plex is Roku. All the others have at least one of those services missing .
    @vasselmeyer I have a Nvidia Shield android box..  I think I have all those and more.. although some like BT sport have to be side-loaded.
    Yes, you're right. I forgot about the Shield. However, it's twice the price of a Roku, although it does do 4k.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Our 12 year old TV died at xmas. Just bought a Samsung Smart TV (49 inch £599 from PCCurrysDixonsDigitalWorld) and it seems great. Easy to set up & use. The apps are all there. I'm not sure the "it'll go out of date" comment above is correct - it's web connected so is upgradeable with software, or new app downloads, etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    jellyroll said:
    Our 12 year old TV died at xmas. Just bought a Samsung Smart TV (49 inch £599 from PCCurrysDixonsDigitalWorld) and it seems great. Easy to set up & use. The apps are all there. I'm not sure the "it'll go out of date" comment above is correct - it's web connected so is upgradeable with software, or new app downloads, etc

It will go out of date.  We had an Apple TV thing that was just over 3 years old and the YouTube app disappeared from it as Google changed the YouTube API and Apple didn't want to support it any more.

Depends on the manufacturer.  Most aren't as bad as Apple in their deliberate obsolescence but all of them will stop providing updates sooner or later.  If you are the type to keep a TV for 12 years, then you will need to get an external device at some point.

• crunchman said:
    jellyroll said:

It will go out of date.  We had an Apple TV thing that was just over 3 years old and the YouTube app disappeared from it as Google changed the YouTube API and Apple didn't want to support it any more.

Depends on the manufacturer.  Most aren't as bad as Apple in their deliberate obsolescence but all of them will stop providing updates sooner or later.  If you are the type to keep a TV for 12 years, then you will need to get an external device at some point.

yeah it will..  my LG tv has had Youtube pulled..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    crunchman said:
     If you are the type to keep a TV for 12 years..
    I just keep TVs until they die then I go and get another. Does that make me “a type”. :) 

I thought everyone did that?
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:
    I just keep TVs until they die then I go and get another. Does that make me “a type”. :) 

I'm mostly like you but I do know people who "upgrade" to the latest model every two or three years.
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:

I'm mostly like you but I do know people who "upgrade" to the latest model every two or three years.
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    crunchman said:
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:

I’ve never really understood that. Paying 1.5k (or more) every couple of years to get the latest features that most content providers can’t/don’t even support yet. Always seemed rather odd.

FWIW we’ve had our current Sony “dumb” tv for just shy of 5 years and it’s been great. I still use my PS3 for media playback.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    When you say go out date not supported don't understand that, surely, if you have a smart TV it will have a Google search engine, in which case you just type YouTube and Google will go find it for you. Click on it and away you go. As far as Apple TV is concerned, it was crap when it come out and it only got worse. Most smart TVs now come with the facility to mirror your computer anyway so any think your computer can do can be put onto your TV screen. If you're thinking of going for a budget Sony or one to about £800 be careful, particularly if you're into sport. As they refresh rates are only about 400 to 600 Hz. This on an HD television or UDR is no good. In cricket when the ball is hit across the ground and the camera follows it you get ghosting effect and it looks like there are three cricket balls. Also, the problem with Sony televisions there plastic screens of very easily damaged. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• exocetexocet Frets: 1983
    GSPBASSES said:
    When you say go out date not supported don't understand that, surely, if you have a smart TV it will have a Google search engine, in which case you just type YouTube and Google will go find it for you. Click on it and away you go. As far as Apple TV is concerned, it was crap when it come out and it only got worse. Most smart TVs now come with the facility to mirror your computer anyway so any think your computer can do can be put onto your TV screen. If you're thinking of going for a budget Sony or one to about £800 be careful, particularly if you're into sport. As they refresh rates are only about 400 to 600 Hz. This on an HD television or UDR is no good. In cricket when the ball is hit across the ground and the camera follows it you get ghosting effect and it looks like there are three cricket balls. Also, the problem with Sony televisions there plastic screens of very easily damaged. 
    Most smart TVs have web browser of some description but these will vary in capability / functions supported. Access to YouTube is typically via a dedicated app that is optimised for the platform and user interface / controls. My Samsung allows access to YouTube via browser but the experience is so poor compared to the dedicated app that I wouldn't use it.
    Even the App is trumped by the YouTube experience via Chromecast. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    jellyroll said:
    crunchman said:

Both happen.

I suspect a lot of people keep their telly until it breaks - my Panasonic plasma must be 10-12 years old.

Some people will want curved or 4K or HDR or whatever else the telly manufacturers are pushing. Some of which are genuine improvements, of course, but if you're just watching Auction Quest...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    Not really into YouTube. Watch the occasional link that comes up on the forum but that's about it. So, for while we were discussing this I'll have a look at how my television deals with YouTube. First clicked on the YouTube app went straight in, signed in and it's just as it would be on my computer. Then done a Google search YouTube,what it found was identical to the app.
    Interestingly if you got an iPad go to YouTube, in the top right hand corner of the screen there's a little icon that will sync your iPad to your smart TV so you can watch YouTube to your hearts content. That last bit of information courtesy of my eight-year-old granddaughter.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I only got the curved Samsung cos it was in sale.

I was worried about the reflection issues that seem to come with them but even in an unblinded conservatory in the summer it’s great viewing and a lovely picture which I don’t think is down to the curvature it’s just a good tele. The menu system and speed of them is what makes me like it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    GSPBASSES said:
     If you're thinking of going for a budget Sony or one to about £800 be careful, particularly if you're into sport. As they refresh rates are only about 400 to 600 Hz. This on an HD television or UDR is no good. In cricket when the ball is hit across the ground and the camera follows it you get ghosting effect and it looks like there are three cricket balls. Also, the problem with Sony televisions there plastic screens of very easily damaged. 
    That’s usually down to motion smoothing, not refresh rates. It can be turned off. I have no idea why TV OEMs ever turn it on! 

As for Sony screens, my cat climbs up our TV multiple times almost every day and it’s absolutely fine...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom